Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default What do the Eternals DO?

The Eternals have made guest appearances in two of the books that I've been reading, New Invaders and New Warriors, and I have to say they have left me with some lingering questions. They claim to exist to protect the Earth, but I've never seen them do it. I assume it's because they believe they're above most squabbles, but then what sort of threats are "worthy" of them? Do they even care if it's not explicitly Celestial related? I haven't seen them save anything, so I'm curious as to what is it they do off panel. For example, any time Bucky hasn't been used or around, it's a sure bet he's been in the midst of some espionage. That's what he does. If I'm right in assuming that the Eternals aren't out their playing superhero when they aren't on panel, what are they doing with most of their time? Just living? Preparing? Exploring? Finally, they don't seem to be concerned with the incursions in any of their recent appearances. Is that still not important enough for their intervention? Starbrand and Nightmask are part of some universal security system, do you suppose the Eternals are from the same system? If so, why didn't Captain Universe go to them for help? If not, does that mean the Celestials created a system of their own and does that mean the Celestial's intentions/ambitions do not align with the universe's?

Do you think the Eternals even have a place in the modern marvel universe?

Wait til they get their own movie.

Then they'll be everywhere.

The Eternals were seeded along with the Deviants on Earth a very long time ago by the Celestials, so it has always been my assumption that both groups exist as parts of the the greater Celestial Cosmic System of seeding, nurturing, and in some cases razing worlds. I think they are in a weird area right now because while their powers and origins are completely cosmic in nature, the current approach Marvel seems to have regarding their cosmic line is less Kirby Space Gods/Myth and more warring empires meets wild west.

...they don't seem to be concerned with the incursions in any of their recent appearances. Is that still not important enough for their intervention? Starbrand and Nightmask are part of some universal security system, do you suppose the Eternals are from the same system?
    I agree, the incursions and what they represent (universal systems failing) should very much be a pressing priority for them. After all, they have gone so far in the past as to state that they have a biological imperative to perform their greater purpose (not unlike Apocalypse). I don't think Starbrand and Nightmask fall under the same system as the Celestials, but rather exist as a redundancy system to ensure the genesis process continues and that things stay fresh. The Aleph/Origin Bomb system is another such system. Still, these incursions threaten all the previously mentioned systems, so I have no clue why this isn't on the top of their to do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Wait til they get their own movie.

Then they'll be everywhere.
    Opened this thread to write this.

Quote Originally Posted by phantombassist View Post
    The Eternals were seeded along with the Deviants on Earth a very long time ago by the Celestials, so it has always been my assumption that both groups exist as parts of the the greater Celestial Cosmic System of seeding, nurturing, and in some cases razing worlds. I think they are in a weird area right now because while their powers and origins are completely cosmic in nature, the current approach Marvel seems to have regarding their cosmic line is less Kirby Space Gods/Myth and more warring empires meets wild west.

I agree, the incursions and what they represent (universal systems failing) should very much be a pressing priority for them. After all, they have gone so far in the past as to state that they have a biological imperative to perform their greater purpose (not unlike Apocalypse). I don't think Starbrand and Nightmask fall under the same system as the Celestials, but rather exist as a redundancy system to ensure the genesis process continues and that things stay fresh. The Aleph/Origin Bomb system is another such system. Still, these incursions threaten all the previously mentioned systems, so I have no clue why this isn't on the top of their to do list.
    The Eternals may well not be aware of the Incursions at all, at least not until the time frame of Time Runs Out by which time the whole world knows, and at that point the Cabal is already in the business of destroying other Earths to preserve both universes. It's also an open question what the Eternals could actually do about the Incursions, other than what the Cabal is already doing, or sending a few of their most powerful along with the Thor/Hyperion + team roaming the multiverse in search of a Great Destroyer to wallop. If even Franklin can't stop an Incursion without destroying the other Earth, and the Infinity Gauntlet was able to manage the trick once before shattering the gems, I'm not sure even Zuras or the Unimind could do any better.

As far as 'systems' go, the Eternals are part of the Celestials' plan or system, and the Starbrand and Nightmask and so on are part of the system set up by the Builders, which is now defunct except for these couple of guys who were activated before their structures in the 'Superflow' between universes got destroyed by forces unknown (although most likely related to Rabum Alal or one of the other factions at play in the Incursion storyline. So far as we've been shown and know, the Builders and Celestials have had no contact or relations and the systems they've set up on various planets are completely independent and not cognizant of each other.

The eternals actually do protect the earth. They're all about protect, preserve, repair. They show up whenever they're needed, or if a writer remembers them. Neil Gaiman did a miniseries about them in 2006. It still reads pretty well. I always think of the eternals as Space Olympians. People forget about them because marvel is all about the asguardians, and the inhumans these days. Just wait though, they'll get they're own movie, and a new series with practical easy-to-cosplay costumes and everything.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 12-20-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    The Eternals have made guest appearances in two of the books that I've been reading, New Invaders and New Warriors, and I have to say they have left me with some lingering questions. They claim to exist to protect the Earth, but I've never seen them do it. I assume it's because they believe they're above most squabbles, but then what sort of threats are "worthy" of them?
    They have made a number of appearances in recent years. Thor: The Deviants Saga had the large number of them returning to Earth from their cosmic journey in the Uni-Mind where they asked Thor to vow to keep their return a secret as they had much to talk about. Then in Red Hulk, they observed him from afar and wondering about their place in the world as the Eternals were heroes in their age but now so many more had appeared. The talks almost had a sinister edge to them like the Eternals were thinking of forcing their rule over the world but that's speculation on my part. But anyway, then there are the two recent stories; one where they were attacked by the Kree to use as weapons and Zuras attempting to purge the various subspecies of man that had spawned in New Warriors.

Do they even care if it's not explicitly Celestial related? I haven't seen them save anything, so I'm curious as to what is it they do off panel. For example, any time Bucky hasn't been used or around, it's a sure bet he's been in the midst of some espionage. That's what he does. If I'm right in assuming that the Eternals aren't out their playing superhero when they aren't on panel, what are they doing with most of their time? Just living? Preparing? Exploring?
    Well, they have always waged war against the Deviants. If you go by Red Hulk, it seems they are unsure about their place in the world. And they did ask Thor to keep their return a secret so apparently there is something secret and important they wish to discuss. Even in their first appearances though, it was shown that they kind of engaged in personal activities such as fun and exploration in secret. Sersi was enjoying herself when Ikaris sought her out to fight the Deviants when the Celestials came to modern day Earth. Ajak was similarly preparing and in a form of stasis awaiting the arrival of the Celestials. So, yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if they continued in such activities.

Finally, they don't seem to be concerned with the incursions in any of their recent appearances.
    In fairness, people said the same thing about the Captain Britain Corps who were guardians of the Omniverse and were apparently doing nothing about the Incursions because there was no mention of it until Spider-Verse. There, we had Saturnyne and others talk about halting the damage done by the Incursions with Spider-UK asking her about the events in Spider-Verse but they dismissed him leading him to act on his own.

Is that still not important enough for their intervention? Starbrand and Nightmask are part of some universal security system, do you suppose the Eternals are from the same system?
    I would imagine it is... until a book comes out mentioning them, we will never know. For all we know, they might be hard at work trying to help contain the Incursions. Could possibly explain why they didn't help during Thanos's little invasion of Earth.

They are unrelated to the Starbrand and Nightmask. You have to remember, the Eternals are experiments in evolution made by the Celestials. It has nothing to do with the grand design that was being set up by the Builders. These two are seemingly separate from one another.

If so, why didn't Captain Universe go to them for help?
    In fairness, there are a lot of people Captain Universe could have gone for help. Quasar to name another. But, again, just because we haven't seen it, who is to say she hadn't? Sadly, this is more of a case of Marvel not mentioning it nor any interest in the Eternals at this point

If not, does that mean the Celestials created a system of their own and does that mean the Celestial's intentions/ambitions do not align with the universe's?
    No idea on what the Celestials intentions are. I think they are some kind of universal system in place but separate from the one that was being maintained and monitored by the Builders. Entirely depends on what the Celestials are and their origins...

Do you think the Eternals even have a place in the modern marvel universe?
    Technically speaking, the Eternals were always meant to be in their own universe separate from 616. But yeah this is a question I think that could be tackled within an ongoing series. Do mythical heroes and demi-gods from ancient times have a place in a world populated by godlings and superheroes? I think there is but its a question on whether there is interest in the Eternals and a good pitch comes forward that attracts readers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Uotan View Post
    Do mythical heroes and demi-gods from ancient times have a place in a world populated by godlings and superheroes?
    Why not be both?

Hummingbird as "Thor". By Marcus To.

Last edited by MarioHerald; 12-20-2014 at 05:57 PM.

Mighty Member

Wasn't there some issue with the use of the Eternals in modern stories? A rights thing or something? Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or did I make it up?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Wasn't there some issue with the use of the Eternals in modern stories? A rights thing or something? Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or did I make it up?
    You made it up. Sersi was an important Avenger for an extended period of time. Makkari a supporting character in Quasar. Starfox actually entered the Uni-Mind being Eternal, if only half cosmic like the Earth based ones are (can you imagine Thanos in it???). There's just too much interaction with the greater Earth superhuman community in continuity to completely disregard them. Add the recent appearance of Ikaris in New Invaders and I'm not sure what secret Zuras thinks he's protecting about their return (and just when did HE return from the dead?).

Spectacular Member

Reading Kirby's Eternals now.

As an aside, he stated quite a few times that Deviants, Humans and Eternals can all trace their ancestry back to one created by the Celestials. That struck me as very interesting. I wonder if this has been explored further? Or has it simply become three separate races that the Celestials created separately?

Mighty Member

Thank you all for the replies, it has all been very informative. They're a fascinating bunch, the Eternals.

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post

As an aside, he stated quite a few times that Deviants, Humans and Eternals can all trace their ancestry back to one created by the Celestials. That struck me as very interesting. I wonder if this has been explored further? Or has it simply become three separate races that the Celestials created separately?
    They weren't created from scratch, though, they're three variants that the Celestials engineered from the proto-humans (likely Homo habilis or Homo erectus, or maybe a later early Homo sap type) already present on Earth when the First Host got here. I believe the pre-Celestial hominids are the 'one' that you're thinking of.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post

Well, yes, it's been explored some. It's the whole reason there are any superheroes at all, outside of magic.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MarioHerald View Post
    Why not be both?

Hummingbird as "Thor". By Marcus To.

Heh, indeed

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Thank you all for the replies, it has all been very informative. They're a fascinating bunch, the Eternals.
    The Eternals are indeed cool, I do hope something good is done with them that does them justice.