View Poll Results: Do you prefer slipcovers?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I prefer hardbacks with slipcovers.

4 44.44%
  • No, they are the bane of my existance.

2 22.22%
  • I have no preference.

3 33.33%

Question Do you prefer slipcovers on your graphic novels?

As the title says, do you guys prefer slipcovers or do they annoy you? Do they make a graphic novel/book seem of higher quality to you? Might sound silly but Ive actually wondered about this for a long time.

For whatever reason I always saw them as pointless, something else that will probably tear or crinkle over time. Plus, i always take them off when I read anyway (dont know if everyone does that lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    As the title says, do you guys prefer slipcovers or do they annoy you? Do they make a graphic novel/book seem of higher quality to you? Might sound silly but Ive actually wondered about this for a long time.

For whatever reason I always saw them as pointless, something else that will probably tear or crinkle over time. Plus, i always take them off when I read anyway (dont know if everyone does that lol).
    I usually buy hard jackets only

i do love slipcovers! although there's a chance of losing/misplacing it if you're careless like me

007 girl.

Yes, they're protective.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

I prefer the look of the books without, but they are a must have for protection.

BANNED

I take mine off and put them in a box, shelve them without. So put me down for "no".

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I have no preference. If it's there fine, if not fine basically lol.

I take them off and throw them away, as I like the feel of the actual hard cover better. Unfortunately, this means I have a shelf of all-black hardcovers, since this is a popular colour for Batman, for example.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

I love slipcovers when the artwork is lovely or when the book itself is otherwise very plain. Some books have a lovely outside cover (I have a Doctor Who hardbound I would hate to have hidden away.)
    On the other hand, hand oils and other undesirables can accumulate and damage the cover.

Hm...going to have to open my own thread for a similar question.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

They're a bit of a pain while you're actually reading the book, but I could never bring myself to just throw them away. Especially the new Invisibles HCs, with that gorgeous Brian Bolland art.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    I love slipcovers when the artwork is lovely or when the book itself is otherwise very plain. Some books have a lovely outside cover (I have a Doctor Who hardbound I would hate to have hidden away.)
    Yeah, I always check for art under the slipcover and nearly every time its just a plain logo.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Yeah, I always check for art under the slipcover and nearly every time its just a plain logo.
    When much younger, I usually found there was something on the cover....even if just a color-lined bit of artwork, but it was extremely rare to find a book with a cover done up as nicely as the slip jacket.
    Also back then the slipcovers used to give a basic summary of what the book was about. I started losing interest in print books when I'd pick up a book whose price tag meant investing a goodly portion of my disposable income....and there was nothing much to go by but maybe a line or two and a couple of paragraphs about the author.
    I don't like 'mystery meat'.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)