Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

……………Seriously? You literally want to demonize Mary Jane? I mean, yes, I have my own headcanon for Mephisto posing as Doctor Strange, but I would think that in order for Mephisto to be able to succeed in his deal, he would need the consent of both Peter and Mary Jane.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I like to think that the MJ who made the deal with the Demon was none other than the demon himself.
    Whoa, seriously?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I'd be happy to settle for Mephisto using his demonic reality-warping powers to screw with Peter's and Mary Jane's perceptions and emotions until they were broken down enough to accept the literally Faustian bargain he was offering. Really, the guy's one of the higher-level Demon Lords even if he isn't actually the Biblical Satan; a scaled-up version of Mysterio's and any evil telepath's customary stratagems would be relative child's play for him, especially when as a high-tier Demon Lord he could make those illusions as real (or realistic) as he needed to put Peter and MJ in the necessary mental and emotional state to take his deal. Hell, speaking of Mysterio, I wouldn't be surprised if Mephisto recruited him to make it work using his knowledge from years of fighting Spider-Man to really turn the screws on him, and his status in BND as fully alive and simply "pretending" to be dead was just a reward for a job well-done.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Yost always wrote a better SpOck. Him and Gage. They wrote him as a man trying to get redemption and live up to a promise he made. Slott wrote him as...well...Doc Ock in Spider-Man's body

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    Yost always wrote a better SpOck. Him and Gage. They wrote him as a man trying to get redemption and live up to a promise he made. Slott wrote him as...well...Doc Ock in Spider-Man's body
    But wasn't that the point of SSM, aside from Peter being awesome?

It was about Doc Ock being in Pete's body and screwing up what Pete had. It was meant to be rage inducing and suspenseful. But if you actually try to make him a better man, wouldn't that make you want him to stick around more.

Well, yeah. Slott played up Otto with that campy, silver age supervillain flare, and it was delightful.

That said, Otto had unarguably heroic moments as Spider-Man alongside his dastardly ones and at the end of the series, he chose to die not because it was the east way out, but because he loved Anna too much to risk losing her to his own weakness. To be fair to him, Otto had never been attacked in this particular way. This is what villains do to /heroes/, not what villains tend to do to each other. Otto went to pieces because the Goblin had his number and went for the throat in a way no other villain had, and no one ever really had.

It was pretty well written, and I would not say he was ever assassinated in any way.

Some people prefer Yost's take because it's ,well... less campy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Well, yeah. Slott played up Otto with that campy, silver age supervillain flare, and it was delightful.

That said, Otto had unarguably heroic moments as Spider-Man alongside his dastardly ones and at the end of the series, he chose to die not because it was the east way out, but because he loved Anna too much to risk losing her to his own weakness. To be fair to him, Otto had never been attacked in this particular way. This is what villains do to /heroes/, not what villains tend to do to each other. Otto went to pieces because the Goblin had his number and went for the throat in a way no other villain had, and no one ever really had.

It was pretty well written, and I would not say he was ever assassinated in any way.

Some people prefer Yost's take because it's ,well... less campy.
    Less campy does seem to be the most welcome.

But with camp comes the mustache twirling BWAHAHAHA! type of villainy. And that camp is a treasure.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Less campy does seem to be the most welcome.

But with camp comes the mustache twirling BWAHAHAHA! type of villainy. And that camp is a treasure.
    When done right, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    But wasn't that the point of SSM, aside from Peter being awesome?

It was about Doc Ock being in Pete's body and screwing up what Pete had. It was meant to be rage inducing and suspenseful. But if you actually try to make him a better man, wouldn't that make you want him to stick around more.
    Well yeah. But I went into the story think Ock would be seeking redemption in the end. The other writers wrote him as an arrogant man who's coming to terms with what it means to be Spider-Man. However whatever lessons he learned in the other books were largely ignored in the main one, up until Goblin Nation. It was rather inconsistent. Though despite that, there are people who wanted him to stick around in some form. Honestly I hope that he finds a way to come back after Spider-Verse. Otherwise what character development we DID get in that year would be wasted.

Fantastic Member Venom Melendez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I like to think that the MJ who made the deal with the Demon was none other than the demon himself.
    That wouldn't work, because the deal is only valid if the mortals accept.

Well yeah. But I went into the story think Ock would be seeking redemption in the end. The other writers wrote him as an arrogant man who's coming to terms with what it means to be Spider-Man. However whatever lessons he learned in the other books were largely ignored in the main one, up until Goblin Nation. It was rather inconsistent. Though despite that, there are people who wanted him to stick around in some form. Honestly I hope that he finds a way to come back after Spider-Verse. Otherwise what character development we DID get in that year would be wasted.
    No, because the character development was what lead to Otto giving Peter's body back to Peter. Plus the Otto in Spider-Verse is from before he had his character development, that's a moot point.

Besides, we also know that Otto eventually returns to his proper timeline.

Basically, Slott was the one that completely understood the character and wrote him in character. After all, we are talking about a guy who killed someone and stole his life. That's an important detail, especially since he would gloat about it and his few good actions do no undo it or the other horrible actions he committed as the Superior Spider-Man.
    Last edited by Venom Melendez; 01-01-2015 at 03:34 PM.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

I enjoyed all the different ideas and perspectives Slott, Yost, Gage and Shinick brought to the table. I loved the campy supervillainy stuff Slott brought to the table (the panel of a lab coat and goggles-wearing Peter Parker gleefully holding up his prototype Spider-Bot in "SSM" #2 was glorious). I loved Yost for teaching Otto humility with the failure of the Superior Six, but also showing his motivation really was to make them better. I loved Gage for emphasizing Otto's scientific curiosity, and for his superb dialogue. And Shinick's poignant wrap-up of "SSMTU" hit me in all the feels (Shinick, Gage and Yost top my list of prospective writers should Ock get an ongoing series in the not-too-distant future).

To date, the biggest letdown of the whole series was Otto giving up at the end of "SSM." I still say he and Peter should have pooled their mental resources to take Osborn down, but whatever.

I'm really hoping the main reason Otto gave up Peter's body so easily was because he knew he had his real body regenerating in a tank somewhere, thanks to future technology he picked up in 2099 or in Spider-Verse.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

Agreed. Other villains in the past have had redemptive turns, Sandman, Magneto, Baron Zemo... if and when Otto comes back, I'd like to see him continue towards the heroic path, although in typical Otto fashion, not out of altruism for the greater good, but to show how much better he is . You'd have Anna Maria as the love interest to remind him what being good really means.
    Last edited by SpideyClone; 01-04-2015 at 04:25 PM.

I've said several times a Doc Ock title would be fun.

He doesn't even have to become a 'good guy' for it to work. After all, we don't always have to like our protagonists even if they should always be interesting. That said, I sincerely doubt that we're going to get one.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I've said several times a Doc Ock title would be fun.

He doesn't even have to become a 'good guy' for it to work. After all, we don't always have to like our protagonists even if they should always be interesting. That said, I sincerely doubt that we're going to get one.
    Then again, we never thought we'd see a series headlined by a bunch of Sinister Syndicate leftovers ... but it happened. And we sure as heck never thought Rocket Raccoon would have his own ongoing ... but there it is. If they can have titles, Ock can, too!
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Quote Originally Posted by theshow07 View Post
    still mad over a 7 year story which mary jane made the deal
    To my last breath. Civil War was egregious, but One More Day was unforgivable.