Page 1 of 234 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Default All purpose news and politics thread part VII: News & Politics Total Landscaping

In hopes that this will stabilize the reply time, here it is.

Your new thread.

Please stay off the grass.

Rudy Giuliani has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, revealing debts of as much as $500 million and assets between $1m-10m.

The timing of having a judge say just yesterday that Giuliani has been known to hide assets is "chef's kiss."

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    In hopes that this will stabilize the reply time, here it is.

Your new thread.

Please stay off the grass.
    While I have not hit every thread on the board...

Feels a little more like an "Overall Board..." thing than a particular issue with that thread.

Clever subtitle, I like it. Now, back to the news....

Disqualifying Trump may be legally sound but fraught for democracy, scholars say

After warning for years that Donald Trump posed an existential threat to American democracy, two constitutional scholars proposed a possible solution over the summer to keep him from regaining power: Trump, they argued, could be banned from holding office under an obscure provision of the 14th Amendment.

The push by former U.S. Court of Appeals judge J. Michael Luttig, a conservative, and Harvard professor Laurence H. Tribe, a liberal, was considered a long shot. But on Tuesday, it was unexpectedly validated by the Colorado Supreme Court, which ruled that Trump was ineligible for the state’s primary ballot because he had engaged in an insurrection.

Tribe and Luttig both cheered the precedent-setting decision, which the Trump campaign has vowed to appeal and which is almost certain to be taken up by the U.S. Supreme Court. But whatever the future of the case, constitutional scholars say it poses some of the thorniest and most consequential questions for American democracy of any in recent years.
    Many constitutional scholars say the Colorado decision may be legally sound, but to apply it would be fraught politically, especially in a country so deeply divided and mistrustful of democratic institutions.

Taking Trump’s name off the ballot through a legal process would prevent him from returning to the White House, where he has threatened to suspend the Constitution and to use the levers of government to enact vengeance on his rivals. It would also prevent voters from rendering their own verdict on him.

“I believe in democracy,” said University of Chicago law professor Tom Ginsburg, “and I don’t think there’s a substitute for letting the people vote.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post

Disqualifying Trump may be legally sound but fraught for democracy, scholars say
    Just to point out, there are many, many legal experts who say the Colorado decision was not at all legally sound. This will go to SCOTUS.

Extraordinary Member

Don't know if this was in the last thread, but there was a big school shooting in Prague with 14 killed, not including the gunman, who was also killed, though if he did it himself or was shot by police is not known.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67793962

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Just to point out, there are many, many legal experts who say the Colorado decision was not at all legally sound. This will go to SCOTUS.
    And there are others, including a conservative judge who worked for Scalia on SCOTUS, who says the decision is fine. He even called it "unassailable".

Don't know if this was in the last thread, but there was a big school shooting in Prague with 14 killed, not including the gunman, who was also killed, though if he did it himself or was shot by police is not known.

That was hard to watch. I strolled and took pictures in those locations a few years ago, now you see students cowering in fear and people running in panic.

Apparently the shooter was a student, from a nearby village and his father died recently. Not clear if he murdered him. He kept an online journal where he announced he would some day do something like this, he was fascinated with mass murderers and serial killers.

Extraordinary Member

That was hard to watch. I strolled and took pictures in those locations a few years ago, now you see students cowering in fear and people running in panic.

Apparently the shooter was a student, from a nearby village and his father died recently. Not clear if he murdered him. He kept an online journal where he announced he would some day do something like this, he was fascinated with mass murderers and serial killers.
    I understand. There's a restaurant/biker hang out I go to, and a year ago there was a mass shooting, 3 killed not counting the killer....a law enforcement officer. I was there the day before. But more broadly, there things are just beyond my understanding. Why would anyone do this? That's the question I keep asking myself. I can't imagine even hurting another soul on purpose....these people are beyond my understanding.

A couple people on Fox News are using this as the Mass Shootings happen everywhere. It is not just an American problem, gun control wont fix it if it can happen in Prague.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post

So, legal eggheads are saying Trump is a major threat to democracy, but the specter of him being left off the ballot is also a threat to democracy. Christ on a crutch, which is it? The answer damn sure can’t be both. The REAL danger is what would happen to the country, AND to democracy if Trump were to win, and everyone knows it. In my mind, it’s not that hard a choice. I’ll take my chances with a constitutional crisis over having a sociopath with vengeance on the brain in the Oval Office.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    A couple people on Fox News are using this as the Mass Shootings happen everywhere. It is not just an American problem, gun control wont fix it if it can happen in Prague.
    That Prague shooting is basically us every other week.

Rudy Giuliani has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, revealing debts of as much as $500 million and assets between $1m-10m.

The timing of having a judge say just yesterday that Giuliani has been known to hide assets is "chef's kiss."
    The line Colin Jost used on last week's Weekend Update is closer to being real than just a funny joke I guess.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — A federal judge hearing a challenge to a transgender health care ban for minors and restrictions for adults noted Thursday that Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis repeatedly spread false information about doctors mutilating children's genitals even though there's been no such documented cases.

The law was sold as defending children from mutilation when it is actually about preventing trans children from getting health care, Judge Robert Hinkle said to Mohammad Jazil, a lawyer for the state.

“When I'm analyzing the governor's motivation, what should I make of these statements?” Hinkle asked. “This seems to be more than just hyperbole.”

Hinkle said he will rule sometime in the new year on whether the Legislature, the Department of Health and presidential candidate DeSantis deliberately targeted transgender people through the new law. He raised some skepticism about the state’s motivation as lawyers gave their closing arguments.

The trial is challenging Florida’s ban on medical treatment for transgender children, such as hormone therapy or puberty blockers, a law DeSantis touted while seeking the presidency. The law also places restrictions on adult trans care.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/judge-des...002530376.html

And there are others, including a conservative judge who worked for Scalia on SCOTUS, who says the decision is fine. He even called it "unassailable".
    Some people need to go back and watch the Jan 6 hearings. Trump denied the results of the electoral college, summoned an armed mob to D.C. and commanded them to march on the Capitol to halt the democratic passage of power.

And Thomas should recuse himself from this vote based on his wife's tweets during the events of Jan 6th.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 12-21-2023 at 09:02 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe