Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Marvel President Alan Fine wanted to burn The Amazing Spider-Man 2's script after reading it

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=112638

As part of the ongoing hack of Sony Pictures, this e-mail from 2012 that Marvel President Alan Fine sent has surfaced. Fine was exceptionally critical of the Amazing Spider-Man 2 film script that he read.

(Please note: This early script would have included the Mary Jane scenes that were eventually cut, which is why Fine mentions MJ's role in the Raimi films in the context of comparing the roles the characters had in the Raimi films to their roles in ASM 2.)

Fantastic Member

It’s funny. On the one hand he raises a lot of valid points. On the other hand a lot of the language lamenting the unnecessary reboot sounds a lot like fan criticisms of OMD/BND.

That thing that was done a few years back was a huge mistake even though it was popular until the higher-ups drove everyone away. Now we’re starting over with a new creative team and the same executives that created the mess to start with. This reboot is actually going to matter ... until the next one.

Why was there the whole missing dad subplot? It had no point!

Did he really think they were prequels. Seems like he didn't understand the concept of a reboot. But i think Gwen should have been alive until three and MJ should have been introduced and I do agree about Electro, horrible origin and motivation

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    Did he really think they were prequels. Seems like he didn't understand the concept of a reboot. But i think Gwen should have been alive until three and MJ should have been introduced and I do agree about Electro, horrible origin and motivation
    He definitely knows it was a reboot (he just doesn't use that term in that context). But he can't help but bring up the Raimi films. He said it himself, that ignoring those films, or going out of their way to be different from those films, was a mistake.

The "Amazing" films don't exist in a vacuum. They exist in a world where the Raimi Spidey films exist.

I think one just has to look at the way Marvel handled the Ang Lee "Hulk" movie and their "Incredible Hulk" film for more of how he thinks it should have been handled.

It's a shame that Sony bungled Spidey so, Garfield is actually a good Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    He definitely knows it was a reboot (he just doesn't use that term in that context). But he can't help but bring up the Raimi films. He said it himself, that ignoring those films, or going out of their way to be different from those films, was a mistake.

The "Amazing" films don't exist in a vacuum. They exist in a world where the Raimi Spidey films exist.

I think one just has to look at the way Marvel handled the Ang Lee "Hulk" movie and their "Incredible Hulk" film for more of how he thinks it should have been handled.
    Didn't they kinda handle it the same. They ignored Hulk and made incredible HULK continuity like ASM ignored the spidey trilogy

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    Didn't they kinda handle it the same. They ignored Hulk and made incredible HULK continuity like ASM ignored the spidey trilogy
    They didn't redo the origin in "Incredible Hulk."

It's not too dark IMO.

The main issue in the strategic direction is the lame attempt at making spin off films, not so much continuity issues with the Raimi films.

Should have never put Garfield to high school to begin with, he is hilariously old to play that role.

Yeah they killed off their best asset pretty soon.

Formulaic is an accurate description of the film.

What he wrote about Electro's hate towards Spidey is spot on as well.

The story is way too long, definitely.

Three villains does not need to be a problem, but when you want to turn them all into Peter's personal nemesises you're doing it wrong.

The heck is he talking about the ASM movies being prequels to the Raimi movies?

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    The heck is he talking about the ASM movies being prequels to the Raimi movies?
    The Raimi films exist. Acting like they don't, when they are still relatively recent, is a cheat on the audience. He said it himself.

"I think it's a mistake to deny the original trilogy it's place in the canon Spider-Man cinematic universe. What are you telling the audience? That the original trilogy is a mistake, a total false-hood? We lied to you? Just made it up? Why should the audience buy into the world we create now? Will we deny it's place in the Spider-Man cinematic universe in the next reboot?"

(Ironically enough, that seems to be what Marvel wants to do.)

Ultimate Member

I largely agree with Mr Fine.

The direction of the Sony Spider-man movies is troubling and has largely been far less well received than the Raimi movies.

It's time for Spidey to come home.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The Raimi films exist. Acting like they don't, when they are still relatively recent, is a cheat on the audience. He said it himself.

"I think it's a mistake to deny the original trilogy it's place in the canon Spider-Man cinematic universe. What are you telling the audience? That the original trilogy is a mistake, a total false-hood? We lied to you? Just made it up? Why should the audience buy into the world we create now? Will we deny it's place in the Spider-Man cinematic universe in the next reboot?"

(Ironically enough, that seems to be what Marvel wants to do.)
    Wait so the President of Marvel went to town on the fact that Sony retcon/got rid of/moved on from the Raimi films, pretty much rebooting the movie franchise, while being the same company that did OMD/OMIT and maybe doing the same to the MU come 2015?

...There's a reaction face to this. I need to find it.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Don't hold back Mr. Fine!

I didn't actually watch ASM 2, the first was just OK and the trailer for the sequel just didn't excite me, so I can't really agree/disagree.

I'll echo Username taken's sentiments though, it's time for Spidey to come home.

Why is everyone so sure Marvel/Disney could make better movies than Sonny with Spider-Man. Besides Winter Solider and maybe Avengers they have been fairly formulaic and just ok. Yes they make money but so did Spider-Man. Also money does not mean quality