Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    No having girls around seems like more of a power fantasy and the way Peter is portray is less power fanasy more hot nerdy guys. In asm 9 they showed peters but. He seems more sexualized the way girls usually are. I thinking less wolverine more gambit type of guys. Guys that are hot and aren't shown with girls drapping over them
    Well, we're going to have to disagree, as having girls around would count out Peter Parker (MJ, Gwen, Black Cat), Cyclops (Emma and Jean Grey fighting over him for some reason), and Gambit (with his charm powers). All three of them seem like a nerd power fantasy of getting hot chicks.

Gambit at least is objectified in the last ongoing somewhat, with plenty of eyecandy shots. And I seriously doubt any male character has shown more skin and butt shots than Namor.

Quote Originally Posted by harpier View Post
    Yeah, so before reading down a little, my mind was reeling at what you might mean by "****". I was coming up with much more graphic mad-libs.

Anyway, it seems like your question is less about which male characters are hot or, as you put it in your thread title, "sexualized" than it is about the lack of variety in bodies that are idealized. I would argue that this particular idealization includes sexual appeal, or is at least certainly not exclusive of it. If your observation is that Marvel's superhero men don't resemble the bodies of most male models—by which I assume you mean mostly fashion models—it's an interesting one. They aren't often sleekly chiseled, they rarely show off backsides or legs, they over-accentuate the chest and arms, and they prioritize bulk as an aesthetic choice. But even Marvel's superhero women don't resemble most female models either. They're also idealized in very particular ways, but they're far more inclined to have fuller chests and hips, stronger shoulders and arms, and generally a more Amazonian physique. I absolutely agree that female comics characters are far more likely to be overtly sexualized than male characters, especially in the most egregious forms, but I think several current (or recently concluded) Marvel series are starting to make their male characters objects of sexual desire both within the comics themselves—Kate Bishop catching Clint Barton slipping into a shirt while sliding into her car in Fraction's Hawkeye comes to mind—and for their readers. They might be beefy, but you'd need a lot to convince me that Daredevil under Waid's tenure and Thor under Aaron aren't gorgeous and often enough appreciated within the comic for their beauty.

There was an article not so long ago about bodytypes in superhero comics. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Personally, I don't think most fashion models, male or female, are exactly s e x y, though arguably, since their job is all about being looked at, one could argue they are sexualized.

As for beefy not equaling s e x y or sexualized, that's entirely a subjective opinion.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Well, we're going to have to disagree, as having girls around would count out Peter Parker (MJ, Gwen, Black Cat), Cyclops (Emma and Jean Grey fighting over him for some reason), and Gambit (with his charm powers). All three of them seem like a nerd power fantasy of getting hot chicks.

Gambit at least is objectified in the last ongoing somewhat, with plenty of eyecandy shots. And I seriously doubt any male character has shown more skin and butt shots than Namor.
    I'm not a big Gambit fan but the proof of how much Gambit has been sexualized is how much women use him in erotic fan works. He's the most popular and its not only recent. I dont find Gambit much of a male power fantasy for getting hot chicks based on that alone. Oddly, I've never seen Namor as very sexualized despite him going around in swim trunks. And I'm a Namor fan. Gambit seems to be about being sexualized as well as the woman or sometimes over the woman. At least that is how women fans have described it. So if Gambit is the nerd power fantasy for getting hot chicks it worked because of that I guess.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 12-21-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Invincible Member

A lot of this depends on the artist. I think there are a few male characters where a certain amount of sexiness/eye candy has become part of their thing, but it's no where a prominant as it is with the average female character. Namor, Gambit ( but I'd say much of his appeal comes from the 'bad boy' thing). Tony Stark is a playboy, but he's not really drawn like eye candy. Peter Parker/Spider Man was drawn a little beefer during the 70's but his whole shtick is supposed to be that he's an average guy.

I'd say Philip Jimenez is an artist that draws men as attractive. P Craig Russell definitely does lean pretty men. Olivier Coipel does quality beefcake.

Quote Originally Posted by Chia Head View Post
    I'm not a big Gambit fan but the proof of how much Gambit has been sexualized is how much women use him in erotic fan works. He's the most popular and its not only recent. I dont find Gambit much of a male power fantasy for getting hot chicks based on that alone. Oddly, I've never seen Namor as very sexualized despite him going around in swim trunks. And I'm a Namor fan. Gambit seems to be about being sexualized as well as the woman or sometimes over the woman. At least that is how women fans have described it. So if Gambit is the nerd power fantasy for getting hot chicks it worked because of that I guess.
    I'm not a Gambit fan either, or much of a fanfic reader, but I believe you are correct. Gambit has a lot of female fans, in part because he's Rogue's (the lead) romantic interest (and that showing up in 90s X-men animated show) -- which would argue that he is sexualized.

My argument was IF having women hanging off characters made them male power fantasies, as OP stated, then Gambit fits that description.

As for Namor ... that's interesting. I've always seen Namor as sexualized -- sometimes more strongly than others -- because, at his core, he's a sea myth. He gets a lot flack about his clothing choices and his 'fey' appearance. But he's also the alienated, angry young man, anti-hero archetype, with power to spare. So, I think Namor is one of those characters that plays to both male power fantasies and sexualization.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    A lot of this depends on the artist. I think there are a few male characters where a certain amount of sexiness/eye candy has become part of their thing, but it's no where a prominant as it is with the average female character. Namor, Gambit ( but I'd say much of his appeal comes from the 'bad boy' thing). Tony Stark is a playboy, but he's not really drawn like eye candy. Peter Parker/Spider Man was drawn a little beefer during the 70's but his whole shtick is supposed to be that he's an average guy.

I'd say Philip Jimenez is an artist that draws men as attractive. P Craig Russell definitely does lean pretty men. Olivier Coipel does quality beefcake.
    One Name: Alan Davis. He never shied away from male sexualization. I think you could add Silvestri to that to a lesser extent. I think the artists you chose are good examples as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post

I love P. Craig Russell and Olivier Coipel's work. I would add Clay Mann to that list of artists capable of delivering the beefcake. Sometimes Deodato. Oh, Jae Lee. And the late Michael Turner.

I agree, but it also depends on the writer. Grant Morrison and Kieron Gillen definitely wrote a sexual Namor.

EDIT: Yes, I agree Silvestri is another such artist. And Jim Lee to a degree. Alan Davis can draw anything. : )

I'm not a Gambit fan either, or much of a fanfic reader, but I believe you are correct. Gambit has a lot of female fans, in part because he's Rogue's (the lead) romantic interest (and that showing up in 90s X-men animated show) -- which would argue that he is sexualized.

My argument was IF having women hanging off characters made them male power fantasies, as OP stated, then Gambit fits that description.

As for Namor ... that's interesting. I've always seen Namor as sexualized -- sometimes more strongly than others -- because, at his core, he's a sea myth. He gets a lot flack about his clothing choices and his 'fey' appearance. But he's also the alienated, angry young man, anti-hero archetype, with power to spare. So, I think Namor is one of those characters that plays to both male power fantasies and sexualization.
    Ah ok, I missed that part. You are right, he does have that 'fey' thing going on like Nightcrawler, Starfox and Fandral but he also has that anti-hero going on and I think that has mostly colored my perceptions of sexualization because they usually aren't sexualized. At least not the male anti-heros. I agree he has been sexualized, though but I never saw it the way you did. Hmmm... I never thought much on the underwear cracks before either. But I think its individual perspective as well or what you are "supposed" to consider sexualization. It might mean different things to different people.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    Herc did'nt spend decades in green briefs though ..i'll just say i'm glad with namor's vest and pants
    Your right. But I sorta think Herc is more "sexualized" then pretty much every male Marvel character. I mean if a woman character ever did anything like this:

in today's I doubt marvel would ever hear the end of it.

Peter seems more like that nerdy normal kid who's kinda hot. Gambits on of the few characters I've see that are draw like eye candy. I just like cyclops.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Your right. But I sorta think Herc is more "sexualized" then pretty much every male Marvel character. I mean if a woman character ever did anything like this:

this was around the greg pak run right? yeah i do remember debauchery was a recurring theme for herc in that run
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    this was around the greg pak run right? yeah i do remember debauchery was a recurring theme for herc in that run
    He seems to fit in more of the huge bulking hunk category. I'm not a really good explainer so I might not get my point across but I'm thinking less or the super buff and more of the slightly lean type muscular. Like a swimmer instead of a body builder.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post

I would laugh my butt off if any of the female Olympians and Asgardians did something like this. The sexualization for Herc seems more recent to me. I dont remember it nearly as much in the 80s and 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    He seems to fit in more of the huge bulking hunk category. I'm not a really good explainer so I might not get my point across but I'm thinking less or the super buff and more of the slightly lean type muscular. Like a swimmer instead of a body builder.
    Alright... how about these guys? I know the second pic of Havok has a woman on him but the other 2 dont.

And...
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 12-21-2014 at 09:33 PM.

Nightcrawler. Slender/smaller build, no women and him posing se-xy.

There have also been several scenes of him showering and just losing his clothes or being naked in the middle of battle rather conveniently. Even just recently.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 12-21-2014 at 09:34 PM.