Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    because she's not that popular and unless it was of extremely high quality its not worth it
    see the recent wonder woman pilot that got canned
    And look what happened to the actress that was supposed to be Wonder Woman... Somewhere WB and DC must be eating crow for the missed chance on this.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    And look what happened to the actress that was supposed to be Wonder Woman... Somewhere WB and DC must be eating crow for the missed chance on this.
    What happened to her? She got another job playing a role where it would be actually appropriate for her to play a vicious, torturing killer?

WB and DC should only be eating crow that they ever allowed such a horrible show to be conceived. They have nothing to be ashamed of that they finally came to their senses and axed this show before it aired and did real damage to Diana.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Nite Wing Diana is very popular and well known just as much as superman and batman. Her Animated movie was the best and if she wasn't that popular she wouldn't majority of the time be put in the JL as a founder most of the time. What of tr taller that came out? It showed people wanted a movie. It became very popular .

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    I don't think so. I just got through most of Sensation Comics and several different writers told good to great stories with her. They explored different aspects of Wonder Woman, but they all got the character.
    Exactly!!! Sensation Comics has been surprisingly good and has been filled with good to great stories about Diana. So why can't any of the main continuity writers do the same? It's a shame when a non-continuity, web-first series that switches writers and artists each story and issue gets the character more and tells better stories about her than the main, in-continuity title does.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 12-31-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    No I agree with you. This new origin is safe but generic and it demeans Hypolyta.
    Thanks for supporting my opinion (or is it the other way around?), too bad it is about something that is actually a very uncomfortable subject. Hippolyta while fallible always struck me as a smart and wise woman, a woman who learns from her mistakes and having made friends enough to advise and take action when she doesn't so fast enough or risks forgetting them just in the unlikely case she forgets the heavy metal bracers she (and all other Amazons) wears as a constant reminder how vile men can be to women.

Sensation Comics are very good, so much fun and so enjoyable. It does not matter what her origin is or how many crazy adventures she had before or will have since, all that matter is that she is there being herself and working very hard to make the world better while not being emotionally dragged down by all the pain and suffering.
    Last edited by Platinius; 01-01-2015 at 03:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Did anybody ever tell you that your writing style really matches your location?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Exactly!!! Sensation Comics has been surprisingly good and has been filled with good to great stories about Diana. So why can't any of the main continuity writers do the same? It's a shame when a non-continuity, web-first series that switches writers and artists each story and issue gets the character more and tells better stories about her than the main, in-continuity title does.
    Sensation comics is a goof proof that WW has good writers, the problem is that they don't have a chance on the main book

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Sensation comics is a goof proof that WW has good writers, the problem is that they don't have a chance on the main book
    Well, a lot of that has to do with putting "big name" writers with stupid, intentionally shaky ideas on the main book instead of writers who actually respect and get the character. This is part of the reason why there are so many different takes on WW and her origin and mythos, and why seemingly no one can agree on one good, solid, logical take and go from there.

BANNED

Well, a lot of that has to do with putting "big name" writers with stupid, intentionally shaky ideas on the main book instead of writers who actually respect and get the character. This is part of the reason why there are so many different takes on WW and her origin and mythos, and why seemingly no one can agree on one good, solid, logical take and go from there.
    Meredith Finch is not a big name, not even that. david finch seems to be popular even with his bad art. We could have one of the sensation comics writer with some big name/popular artist or at least a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Meredith Finch is not a big name, not even that. david finch seems to be popular even with his bad art. We could have one of the sensation comics writer with some big name/popular artist or at least a good one.
    She's David Finch's husband, which makes her a big name by default. And since her husband is a superstar artist, she seems to be taking a superstar writer approach with Wonder Woman. Or at least DC is billing her like a superstar writer, with the same bad results for Wonder Woman.

I definitely agree, though, that the better approach would be to put a Sensation Comics type writer on her main book who may not be a big name but who gets and respects the character, and then put a big name artist on the title to get around the problem of low sales.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 12-31-2014 at 10:53 PM.

BANNED

She's David Finch's husband, which makes her a big name by default. And since her husband is a superstar artist, she seems to be taking a superstar writer approach with Wonder Woman. Or at least DC is billing her like a superstar writer, with the same bad results for Wonder Woman.

I definitely agree, though, that the better approach would be to put a Sensation Comics type writer on her main book who may not be a big name but who gets and respects the character, and then put a big name artist on the title to get around the problem of low sales.
    For sure for DC is enough that she is working with Finch that is a big name in the WW book, so they greenlit the book.

Today sales are too much creator focused, so one of the cretors being a well known name helps the sales and credibility. that would be the best approach DC could have done

I just think they need to put her in a role then stick to it. As many have said the big reason why her fandom is the biggest broken base in comics is that they kept rebooting her all the time so no matter what a writer does, some element that a certain portion likes isn't gonna make it and some readers are gonna be alienated. This is a problem a few other DC characters had like Aquaman, Hawkman being the most prominent ones other than Wondie, but I'd say N52 has managed to give her a good amount of consistency in her own book. Johns kinda breaks it with JL but Soule managed to find a good middle ground between her own book and Justice League though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    I just think they need to put her in a role then stick to it. As many have said the big reason why her fandom is the biggest broken base in comics is that they kept rebooting her all the time so no matter what a writer does, some element that a certain portion likes isn't gonna make it and some readers are gonna be alienated. This is a problem a few other DC characters had like Aquaman, Hawkman being the most prominent ones other than Wondie, but I'd say N52 has managed to give her a good amount of consistency in her own book. Johns kinda breaks it with JL but Soule managed to find a good middle ground between her own book and Justice League though.
    Johns got a lot better with WW, I don't know if he will keep it that way. Soule for me was awful, not Johns on beggining or Finch, I don't think he made justice to Azz

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I don't think Wonder Woman is a difficult character to write at all. I do, however, think many creators misunderstand what she's supposed to be about. Too often, creators resort to pitting her against threats that are from the public domain of Greek myths. These characters from Greek myth have been done so many times over the centuries in so many mediums that virtually anything that is done with them has been done many times before in some capacity. I think Wonder Woman would benefit greatly if a creative team would modernize and develop the original DC characters that have been introduced in her book or as part of her world over the years. These characters and concepts are unique to Diana and once developed, can help Diana carve her own corner of the universe instead of one that is shared by Captain Marvel, Son of Vulcan, Hercules(Marvel), Ares(Marvel), etc.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I don't think Wonder Woman is a difficult character to write at all. I do, however, think many creators misunderstand what she's supposed to be about.
    I don't know. The idea that any given character is "about" X/Y/Z seems like you are intentionally fencing said character in.

Plenty of amazing single issues/runs have come out of creator perspectives that were on the outskirts of what a character was "about".

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I don't know. The idea that any given character is "about" X/Y/Z seems like you are intentionally fencing said character in.

Plenty of amazing single issues/runs have come out of creator perspectives that were on the outskirts of what a character was "about".

Once in a while a different approach is nice to shake things up but often times, it just comes across as so out of that place that many other characters could have fit that story as well as it was so off the mark from the character's intended playground.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.