Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Not much of her rogues gallery are used, though mainly in animated shows like Justice League or Brave and the Bold only selected villains are used like Cheetah, Circe. Hades, and Ares.

It looks like she has some villains that are too corny to be used http://wonder-woman.wikia.com/wiki/W...Rogues_Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I don't know. The idea that any given character is "about" X/Y/Z seems like you are intentionally fencing said character in.

Plenty of amazing single issues/runs have come out of creator perspectives that were on the outskirts of what a character was "about".
    Having a new perspective isn't an issue. It's when a character is repeatedly reinvented, retconned and rebooted with almost zero consistency across their various incarnations then it becomes a problem. Plus, "different" doesn't always equal "good".

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Having a new perspective isn't an issue. It's when a character is repeatedly reinvented, retconned and rebooted with almost zero consistency across their various incarnations then it becomes a problem. Plus, "different" doesn't always equal "good".
    I don't know that I feel like this has anything to do with Wonder Woman.

As for "Different not always equaling good", I'll take the "fails" as long as I can read titles when it is successful.

I don't know that I feel like this has anything to do with Wonder Woman.

As for "Different not always equaling good", I'll take the "fails" as long as I can read titles when it is successful.
    This was your comment

I don't know. The idea that any given character is "about" X/Y/Z seems like you are intentionally fencing said character in.

Plenty of amazing single issues/runs have come out of creator perspectives that were on the outskirts of what a character was "about".

It was in response to someone saying that writers miss the point of WW. I was pointing out how there was a difference between a once in a while "new perspective" and constant reinventions (Diana has the latter more than the former).

Yup, there needs to be editorial consistency on established personality, character quirks, powers, limitations, relationships, beliefs, and arch-nemeses/villains. Everyone has the same general idea of how to write Superman and Batman. Not the case with WW. At times, it seems like WW is written as a generic female however that's projected by the writer.

Azzarello's take could have been a new anchor, but the Finches already ruined the opportunity. I almost wished Azzarello was made a co-editor for consistency's sake. His foundation could have been worked with, but then the Finches really killed off Hippolyta to shove in Donna Troy as a distraction to lure away from the ugly mess.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingmyth View Post
    Not much of her rogues gallery are used, though mainly in animated shows like Justice League or Brave and the Bold only selected villains are used like Cheetah, Circe. Hades, and Ares.

It looks like she has some villains that are too corny to be used http://wonder-woman.wikia.com/wiki/W...Rogues_Gallery
    Giganta is also a Wonder Woman villain.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Giganta is also a Wonder Woman villain.

JLU also used both the Angle Man and Dr. Poison in cameo form. Brave & the Bold used Cheetah, Giganta, and Baroness Paula Von Gunther.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Love View Post
    Yup, there needs to be editorial consistency on established personality, character quirks, powers, limitations, relationships, beliefs, and arch-nemeses/villains. Everyone has the same general idea of how to write Superman and Batman. Not the case with WW. At times, it seems like WW is written as a generic female however that's projected by the writer.

Azzarello's take could have been a new anchor, but the Finches already ruined the opportunity. I almost wished Azzarello was made a co-editor for consistency's sake. His foundation could have been worked with, but then the Finches really killed off Hippolyta to shove in Donna Troy as a distraction to lure away from the ugly mess.
    there is still time to fix that, if Snyder take the WW book and ignore everything finches did

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    there is still time to fix that, if Snyder take the WW book and ignore everything finches did
    But that's the problem. Creators are not forced to follow what came before. Sure, the Finches havent turned out the best stuff so far, but that's the price you pay for a serialized format. There's going to be crap stories. And, if nothing else, at least the Finches have not contradicted Azzarello's work (at least so far).

Azzarello got a free pass from me when his run began because it was a new continuity. New and different was what I was looking for and if things didnt line up with the pre-52, so long as the story was good I was fine with it. And in my opinion Azzarello did a good job on the title. He provided a clear and definitive direction and purpose for Diana, which she has often lacked. He provided a solid supporting cast and setting, and combined with the mortal aspects Johns introduced in Justice League (mainly Steve Trevor), Diana has, perhaps, a stronger foundation to work with than she's had since the 40's. There's a lot of room to work with right now, lots of toys to use, lots of potential for growth. Now, whether that direction appeals to the individual is one thing, but regardless of our personal opinions, it is clear and well defined. And that is what Diana needs.

But whether you like what's been done these last few years or not, if consistency is something that's going to be built into Diana's mythos, (and it absolutely needs to be) you need to start now. Not after the Finches are done. Not after the next creative team is finished. Now. Ignoring what the Finches are doing only serves to keep the problem going, not solve it. And right now we're only a few years into a fresh continuity; there's not going to be a better time than now to start building some good habits with the character and stop letting every creative team start from scratch.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Azzarello's take is still the anchor currently and still can be for some time, nothing the Finches have done in two issues has ruined that.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Azzarello's take is still the anchor currently and still can be for some time, nothing the Finches have done in two issues has ruined that.

Plus Azz's Hippolyta and Dessa have appeared in the Finchs' run and the First Born was named dropped so the Finchs are following up on what Azz did.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

anchor? very hard to see it, it could work the same way after simone, rucka, jimenez runs. all is need is PI and amazons

It`s not really about whether or not WOnder-Woman is hard character to write, considering her greek god background, you can make some pretty interesting re-imaginations for those old myths starring her as a main character. The gods can be re-imagined and they can make new kind of stories to tell about crisis`s between politics of different gods sort of in a Game of Thrones way.

I mean Azarello has proven this in his run, however the problem with Wonder-Woman is when you make her go to the human world and fight against threats there, since many of Wonder-Womans villains are rather primitive, it is hard to make a story for her with a legit and deep point.

So yeah Wonder-Woman isn`t that difficult of a character but in certain aspects she is rather primitive to write.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TeenWonder View Post
    but in certain aspects she is rather primitive to write.
    What do you mean by that? In what ways is Wonder Woman primitive to write?
    Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Did anybody ever tell you that your writing style really matches your location?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Plus Azz's Hippolyta and Dessa have appeared in the Finchs' run and the First Born was named dropped so the Finchs are following up on what Azz did.
    And I hope they (and those that come next) continue to follow up on what was done before. I dont need to see Strife or Zola in every issue or anything, and they dont need to be the focus of every story. But for once, let's keep going with these concepts that have been introduced instead of shunting them off into limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    anchor? very hard to see it, it could work the same way after simone, rucka, jimenez runs. all is need is PI and amazons
    Really? That first conversation with Aquaman referenced several things from the previous run and Diana's status as the god of war has been mentioned several times. No, the Finches may not be using Zola or the gods, but considering how they seemed to think Hippolyta was still dead, its quite possible they started the work for these issues with no real idea of who would survive the final battle with the First Born (Finch needs a lot of lead time for his pencils). But regardless, they're not starting over like almost every other creative team has. The quality and direction they're going in might be suspect, but at least they're not wiping the board clean.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.