View Poll Results: What Do You Think of the Finchs' Run So Far?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - Excellent

8 8.89%
  • 4 Stars - Very Good

18 20.00%
  • 3 Stars - Average

18 20.00%
  • 2 Stars - Poor

32 35.56%
  • 1 Star - Awful

14 15.56%
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Camp has a place in Comics IMO ... Everything doesn't have to be dark and negative. Look at the Flash show on CW, it's pretty light and more fun than Arrow or Gotham or Constantine. WW could take more of a tone such as Flash or Grimm or Buffy and find relevance.
    The problem is that DC doesn't want it that way.
    Books that have a general humorous overtone to them, like Harley Quinn, aren't suitable to exist in the main world of DC.

If all you want is a bit of humor featuring Diana, then just sit back and wait because you'll now have 2 books aimed squarely at you, enjoy those and leave the main one alone, thats just my advice on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I'd actually argue the opposite. The people who grew up watching Superfriends seem to be the ones writing comics and, for the most part, reading comics.
    If said readers are roughly 40-ish of age, I'd like to imagine that the biggest group is still somewhere in their 20'ties (but I dont know if thats true). Can't argue against that the current top of the pops in comics watched it, they probably did. That said, they seem to trying damn hard to make their work seem as little like that old cartoon as humanly possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    At the end of the day, who can really say how many people know about Diana and Cheetah's rivalry one way or another? I never claimed everybody knew about it, but I am certainly of the opinion that more people know about that than they do WW/Circe or WW/Ares, because the number of appearances is greatly skewed in Cheetah's favor.
    And my argument is that the knowledge about Diana/Cheetah's rivalry is nearly forgotten because so many of those appearances are effectively hidden away in obscure works that most people never see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    You summed it up quite nicely. Geoff Johns, Mark Waid, Alex Ross, Jeff Parker, and other current comics creators have all said that they grew up watching the Super Friends cartoon and that is what got them interested in DC characters. I believe you're also right about the average age of current comic book readers. Younger people tend to gravitate towards video games these days.
    But like I said, notice how little the works of these creators resemble the old cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Books that have a general humorous overtone to them, like Harley Quinn, aren't suitable to exist in the main world of DC.

If all you want is a bit of humor featuring Diana, then just sit back and wait because you'll now have 2 books aimed squarely at you, enjoy those and leave the main one alone, thats just my advice on this.

If said readers are roughly 40-ish of age, I'd like to imagine that the biggest group is still somewhere in their 20'ties (but I dont know if thats true). Can't argue against that the current top of the pops in comics watched it, they probably did. That said, they seem to trying damn hard to make their work seem as little like that old cartoon as humanly possible.

And my argument is that the knowledge about Diana/Cheetah's rivalry is nearly forgotten because so many of those appearances are effectively hidden away in obscure works that most people never see.

But like I said, notice how little the works of these creators resemble the old cartoon.
    Yet Harely is one of the best selling DC titles of the moment and despite the humorous tone it's extremely dark in it's own way. I have no issues with darkness, but I also don't think it MUST be dark to be good.

Personally, I think the Finches have made an excellent start to their run so I gave them 5 stars.

The artwork is beautiful an a very intriguing set up has been established ... I'm really looking forward to the next chapter!

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I doubt any creator would mimic the Super Friends cartoon in a modern comic book but there have been obvious references for the last couple of decades. Alex Ross did a maxi-series titled "Justice" that featured the Justice League against the Legion of Doom. Geoff Johns' current Justice League roster contains the 4 main members of the Super Friends plus Cyborg and Firestorm(who is currently on leave receiving medical treatment).
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

For me, when you compare Finchs WW to the aritst in JLs WW, they exude two different looks. Finch draws WW more like a semi **** teenager, while she looks like a badass warrior in JL. And I didnt understand why he put her in an armored crop top/battle skirt.

Last edited by Primal Slayer; 12-24-2014 at 08:00 PM.

I do have to admit that it's possible that my perception of a good Wonder Woman book could be flawed after the last 3 years but I do honestly like the direction and the art so far.
    Co-sign. The first 3 years of The New 52's WONDER WOMAN were unpleasant and I'd reached the point where I just needed the prior regime to leave and never come back. I'm having a great time two issues into the Finches' run. The first two issues of this volume of WONDER WOMAN just had me wondering, "Who's the lead character here and who the hell is this Zola creature?" Even after the reveal she's Athena, I still don't care for her or the last three years of THE DAYS OF THE LIVES OF THE OLYMPIANS.
    Last edited by NYCER; 12-25-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    Co-sign. The first 3 years of The New 52's WONDER WOMAN were unpleasant and I'd reached the point where I just needed the prior regime to leave and never come back. I'm having a great time two issues into the Finches' run. The first two issues of this volume of WONDER WOMAN just had me wondering, "Who's the lead character here and who the hell is this Zola creature?" Even after the reveal she's Athena, I still don't care for her or the last three years of THE DAYS OF THE LIVES OF THE OLYMPIANS.
    I think you mean THE IMMORTAL AND THE RESTLESS
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

I'm quite shallow, so the cheesecake art would normally be enough for me to at least consider this average so far.

But the story and dialogue have been so staggeringly, monumentally, insomnia-inducingly bland that I had to vote 'Poor'.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Yet Harely is one of the best selling DC titles of the moment and despite the humorous tone it's extremely dark in it's own way. I have no issues with darkness, but I also don't think it MUST be dark to be good.
    I didn't either.

But the fact is that DC is trying to make all of it's world hang together, keeping it tonally consistent across all of the books that are supposed to exist in the same world.

I doubt any creator would mimic the Super Friends cartoon in a modern comic book but there have been obvious references for the last couple of decades. Alex Ross did a maxi-series titled "Justice" that featured the Justice League against the Legion of Doom. Geoff Johns' current Justice League roster contains the 4 main members of the Super Friends plus Cyborg and Firestorm(who is currently on leave receiving medical treatment).
    There are hints and nods obviously, but fact remains that just about all of them are just the name and basic structure, whats beyond that has been modified and adapted so that it fits into the current universe.
    Like we had the actual Wonder Twins appear in McKeever's Teen Titans, unlike in SF they were not pointy-eared aliens with somekind of carebear-power. They were the Calculators kids (also a massively revamped villain himself that used to run around dressed as an 1960's calculator), extremely bright, extremely annoying, and in the end they were served up as bacon for Wonder Dog (another relic) which turned out to be a demon, leaving Marvin dead and Wendy a paraplegic.
    And to top it all off, Kid Eternity (another ancient acquired property) was later 'burnt out' by the Calculator repeatedly using him to simulate Marvin still being around.

Ah the editorially mandated Titan bloodbath of the mid-00's... now that was darkness worth complaining about.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I think you mean THE IMMORTAL AND THE RESTLESS
    As Olympus Turns
    All My Olympians

I didn't either.

But the fact is that DC is trying to make all of it's world hang together, keeping it tonally consistent across all of the books that are supposed to exist in the same world.

There are hints and nods obviously, but fact remains that just about all of them are just the name and basic structure, whats beyond that has been modified and adapted so that it fits into the current universe.
    Like we had the actual Wonder Twins appear in McKeever's Teen Titans, unlike in SF they were not pointy-eared aliens with somekind of carebear-power. They were the Calculators kids (also a massively revamped villain himself that used to run around dressed as an 1960's calculator), extremely bright, extremely annoying, and in the end they were served up as bacon for Wonder Dog (another relic) which turned out to be a demon, leaving Marvin dead and Wendy a paraplegic.
    And to top it all off, Kid Eternity (another ancient acquired property) was later 'burnt out' by the Calculator repeatedly using him to simulate Marvin still being around.

Ah the editorially mandated Titan bloodbath of the mid-00's... now that was darkness worth complaining about.
    Those weren't the Wonder Twins (Zan and Jayna) but the normal human kids who pre-dated them on the Super Friends, Wendy and Marvin. In the show, I don't recall them ever having parents - they were just the two kids and Wonder Dog who hung out at the Hall of Justice.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Those weren't the Wonder Twins (Zan and Jayna) but the normal human kids who pre-dated them on the Super Friends, Wendy and Marvin. In the show, I don't recall them ever having parents - they were just the two kids and Wonder Dog who hung out at the Hall of Justice.
    So essentially the two elves were just powered stand-in's for the human kids?

Invincible Member

So essentially the two elves were just powered stand-in's for the human kids?
    I wouldn't call them stands as they were completely different characters. Maybe slightly more interesting replacements? They had a similar role as teen mascots/viewer identification characters/side kicks, but they could go on missions, they had adventures on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Wasn't it revealed that Marvin's Mother was the original Diana Prince? All Pre-Crisis of course.
    Richard Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    Wasn't it revealed that Marvin's Mother was the original Diana Prince? All Pre-Crisis of course.
    Yup...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_and_Marvin
    Richard Alexander