Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    That really seems like a bad showing for Shuma Gorath, but mostly for having his astral form punked like that unless White Tiger is a very major player (as in, "treat Classic Dr. Strange like a baby") as standard. I'm really only familiar with her from the version that appeared on Nextwave, but Monica blowing up an organic body that wasn't made of strange magics and eldritch angles seems like a fairly kosher feat.

I keep having the mental image of her turning to yellow sunlight and accidentally getting absorbed by Clark.

That was just a small part of Shuma Gorath. A tiny fragment that had manifested into the 616 plane. I think they mentioned that as soon as the whole squid dude comes through fully the world would end.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I don't see why she wouldn't be able to turn into red sun radiation, she's transformed herself into everything from x-rays to gamma rays to various sorts of radiation to radio waves just by willing it so.
    Problem with this is that she wouldn't know to do so. Unless she can analyze his weaknesses ala Surfer she isn't turning into that.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Well she has also done things like lol-nope-phasing through Magneto's defenses (on a day where he lol-noped a combined attack from Thor and She-Hulk), where she has never fought him before, so she seems to be able of adapting to her foes abilities and find the weak spot in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Well she has also done things like lol-nope-phasing through Magneto's defenses (on a day where he lol-noped a combined attack from Thor and She-Hulk), where she has never fought him before, so she seems to be able of adapting to her foes abilities and find the weak spot in them.
    Phasing through a guys defense is different than turning into their weakness.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Problem with this is that she wouldn't know to do so. Unless she can analyze his weaknesses ala Surfer she isn't turning into that.
    Red Sun radiation falls under " common knowledge" I believe. Many people in comics know about this weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Common knowledge gives her the red sun weakness. This fight goes fine for her really without having to get into the esoterica of her energy manipulation showings.

Ho is this common knowledge? I mean they come from two different universes. She doesn't know Superman so how would she know?

If you're trying to say that there are Superman comics in marvel then okay cool, but only those who read comics would know that so it isn't that common knowledge. Hell as a teenager I never even heard of "run sunlight" before and had know idea it was a weakness of Supermans.

Just because it is common knowledge for us, doesn't mean it would be for her.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Common knowledge is not limited to "only someone from their universe gets it". Common knowledge is, "The person's opponent knows anything that would be common knowledge about the person they are fighting".

Just because it is common knowledge for us, doesn't mean it would be for her.
    That is not how that works. At all.

Common knowledge is not limited to "only someone from their universe gets it". Common knowledge is, "The person's opponent knows anything that would be common knowledge about the person they are fighting".

That is not how that works. At all.
    Is that a rumbles rule that I forgot or something?
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Yes.

edit: the red sun thing is common enough that someone as low on the totem pole and shmucky as Red Star (sorry, fans of a more than moderately obscure Teen Titans character!) knew to attack Superboy Prime with red sunlight.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 12-25-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Yes.

edit: the red sun thing is common enough that someone as low on the totem pole and shmucky as Red Star (sorry, fans of a more than moderately obscure Teen Titans character!) knew to attack Superboy Prime with red sunlight.
    Ah, I see. Thanks for the reminder then.

Without that rule I can see it being a stalemate then. With it and he is pretty fucked.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by butterfingers158 View Post
    Every time a minority character is introduced and doesn't gain popularity, people cite that it's because of racism/sexism/homophobia/etc. No, that's BS. Maybe some rear ends in top hats won't like the character simply because they are black/gay/transgender/half orangutan, but that won't keep them from over all popularity. Being boring/written poorly/mishandled by editorial/forgotten about for awhile does that. Then half the time a good minority/female character is introduced, it's accused of being pandering/being overly sexual to appeal to "man children"/being offensive because of minor detail #30125985 (see Bayonetta, Lara Croft, hell even Krem from Dragon Age: Inquisition who was a relatively minor character).

Yes comics is full of straight white people. Most of the popular characters gained that popularity back in the 50s/60s/70s and it carried over. Introducing minority characters for the sake of them being a minority doesn't help, it simply makes for a barrel full of boring minority characters that get dusted off twice a year. If you come up with a sweet idea for a character and it happens to be that they're one third Black/one third Native American/one third Sugar Glider who is pansexual and has 12 head mates, awesome. If they're interesting I'll probably like them. If they're boring, I won't.
    Well, you've apparently bowed out but I may has well offer some kind of minor rebuttal.

I think you're oversimplifying a complex thing. Simply saying the ethnic characters haven't gained traction because they're boring and that all ethnic characters are only made in the interests of diversity just simply isn't true.

Considering my original objection was just to you saying that the opinion that the race of the characters in play affected the choices made by editorial staff in mainstream comments was making "making stuff up," the fact that we seem to have somehow wound up at your opinions regarding the representation of minorities in comics is... well, perhaps it's best you dropped that smoke bomb.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 12-25-2014 at 01:34 PM.