Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Also: instead of Earth 27 (which may end up getting used by DC), I’d go with Earth 84 — as in, the place in the 52—103 range that directly corresponds to Earth 32 (i.e., 32 + 52 = 84).
    Hm. Ok, when I officially change it I'll use this number instead.

Anyone else have ideas for Blackhawk, or any heroes I could have missed? I might not use the idea, but I'd love to hear it.

You’ll note I edited my post while you were responding. Yes, “Diana Curry” works better as her secret identity — not because it’s a mashup of “Diana Prince” and “Arthur Curry”, but because if a lighthouse keeper with the last name of Curry finds a girl washed ashore, he’s not going to name her “Arthur” — but he might name her “Diana”. I’d stick to “Aquawoman” as her superhero name, though, with “Mera” being revealed to be her birthname much like “Orin” was revealed to be Aquaman’s birthname.

This isn’t really a Wonder Woman/Aquaman mashup so much as it’s a Wonder Woman/Mera mashup with elements of Aquaman’s backstory added in.
    Ach, yes. This would be a good idea. How about the Amazons were slaughtered after Heracles and Ares mucked things up, and Hippolyta and the others were reborn as the nymphs of Amphitrite? (Here, Poseidon rules Atlantis.)

Instead of going "Merciful Minerva!", Diana could say "Almighty Amphitrite!"

Possible. The idea is to put “Thymescria” (or whatever it gets called) beneath the waves, either as Atlantis or as a rival to Atlantis. I tend to prefer the former as the latter needlessly complicates the picture; and I definitely prefer Diana Curry discovering that she’s the Queen of Atlantis. In that regard, I prefer the idea that the Amazons were granted the ability to live underwater and lead to the undersea ruins of Atlantis, where they established a new society.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 02-16-2015 at 05:12 PM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Yeah, I see Poseidon as a hands off kind of god, actually running how the ocean itself runs, while his own kingdom rules itself. That way Diana would still be beholden to the gods, but still has the title of Queen.

As for other possible mashups: Ray Palmer is a college professor who gets caught up in a nuclear accident with one of his students, Ryan Choi; this accident fuses them together into a hybrid being known as the Atom (i.e., the Nuclear Man).

With that, I’ve managed to hit every Satellite-era JLAer except Martian Manhunter, Red Tornado, Elongated Man, and Zatanna. There are no commonalities there, and if any further mashups are done, they’d require dipping into other versions of the JLA for inspiration.

For instance, what about somehow combining Red Tornado with the Superfriends “token asian” character of Samurai, on the basis that they both have wind manipulation powers? In effect, recast Red Tornado with a more Japanese aesthetic. Similarly, the “token Mexican” El Dorado from the Superfriends had extremely vague powers, from teleportation to creating illusions — almost as if he was doing magic. Maybe blend him and Zatanna into a hispanic character who discovered the lost city of El Dorado and learned magical secrets while there?

Or not. These mashups lack the same iconic status as the others.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 02-16-2015 at 05:32 PM.
    Rogue wears rouge.

As for other possible mashups: Ray Palmer is a college professor who gets caught up in a nuclear accident with one of his students, Ryan Choi; this accident fuses them together into a hybrid being known as the Atom (i.e., the Nuclear Man).
    ....Man that seems like an obvious mashup in retrospect.

I also have an idea to fuse Captain Atom and Martian Manhunter, making Captain Martian, but I'm having trouble making it work.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    ....Man that seems like an obvious mashup in retrospect.

I also have an idea to fuse Captain Atom and Martian Manhunter, making Captain Martian, but I'm having trouble making it work.
    Yeah; no. I think you might have better luck with an Adam Strange/Martian Manhunter mashup, though: instead of the last surviving Martian being teleported to Earth, an Earthman gets teleported to a still-living Mars where he ends up becoming a Manhunter.

Note that I’ve been walking the line between “mashup” and “Tangent”: especially in the case of the Flash. But in particular, this world differs from Earth 32 in that its heroes don’t have obviously mashed-together codenames, and their concepts are designed to fit together more organically. That’s why “GreenHawk” and “Green Flash” had to go, and “Blackhawk” only made the cut because of, well, the Blackhawks.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 02-16-2015 at 05:48 PM.
    Rogue wears rouge.

I got it! Rex Mason was dying from the radiation from the Orb of Ra, and quickly drank the serum Simon Stagg gave him in case he would be near such radiation... not knowing that the serum was actually based on the DNA of a martian corpse Stagg's colleague Saul Erdel teleported to Earth. The combination of martian DNA plus the radiation turned Rex into a half martian, leading him to take the identity of Metamartian, the Element Manhunter!

(Also, Zatanna found the helmet of Nabu, and is Dr. Zatara)

BTW, I’ve got a nasty habit of editing posts rather than making new ones.

Something further for Nightwing: Bruce needs to have discovered the bottled city of Kandor during his years of roaming the Earth searching for his identity; that’s where he learns of nightwings and flamebirds.
    Rogue wears rouge.

BTW, I’ve got a nasty habit of editing posts rather than making new ones.

Something further for Nightwing: Bruce needs to have discovered the bottled city of Kandor during his years of roaming the Earth searching for his identity; that’s where he learns of nightwings and flamebirds.
    Further Nightwing canon accepted.

Also, just have Rex Mason be Martian Man in that case. Zatanna stays Dr. Zatara since in this verse, she'd have a doctorate in archaeology, thinking it would help her find the mystic artifacts her dad disappeared looking for... So in other words, she's the leagues Dr. Strange.

I got it! Rex Mason was dying from the radiation from the Orb of Ra, and quickly drank the serum Simon Stagg gave him in case he would be near such radiation... not knowing that the serum was actually based on the DNA of a martian corpse Stagg's colleague Saul Erdel teleported to Earth. The combination of martian DNA plus the radiation turned Rex into a half martian, leading him to take the identity of Metamartian, the Element Manhunter!
    Ouch. Love the idea; not so fond of the name. Metamorpho still works, due to his shapeshifting abilities (similar to Beast Boy from the YJ animated series).

(Also, Zatanna found the helmet of Nabu, and is Dr. Zatara)
    Also straight out of Young Justice, where Dr. Fate is Zatara (who let the helmet possess him so that it wouldn’t possess his daughter). Though the idea that Zatanna’s magic comes entirely from the helmet of Nabu makes it a bit different.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Further Nightwing canon accepted.

Also, just have Rex Mason be Martian Man in that case. Zatanna stays Dr. Zatara since in this verse, she'd have a doctorate in archaeology, thinking it would help her find the mystic artifacts her dad disappeared looking for... So in other words, she's the leagues Dr. Strange.
    I’d also say that she never actually wears the helmet of Nabu, but still draws on its power. She talks to it a lot, though, similar to Harry Dresdon and “Bob” (did I get the name right?).

I’d also borrow heavily from John Constantine for our “Dr. Zatara”.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 02-16-2015 at 06:09 PM.
    Rogue wears rouge.

I’d also say that she never actually wears the helmet of Nabu, but still draws on its power.
    Sure, still works.

Also, how about Rex Mason being Metamorpho, the Martian Manhunter? You’d just need to tweak his backstory a bit so that “Manhunter” makes sense — which is entirely reasonable, considering that DC has a whole legacy of entirely human Manhunters to draw inspiration from.

(For the record, I still think an Adam Strange/Martian Manhunter fusion would work better than an Element Man/Martian Manhunter mix; but ultimately, it’s your Earth. I love Dr. Zatara, though.)
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 02-16-2015 at 06:25 PM.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Also, how about Rex Mason being Metamorpho, the Martian Manhunter? You’d just need to tweak his backstory a bit so that “Manhunter” makes sense — which is entirely reasonable, considering that DC has a whole legacy of entirely human Manhunters to draw inspiration from.
    I'm pretty sure that Rex Mason's original job description was "soldier of fortune", so yeah, he could have trained with one of them.