Page 196 of 929 FirstFirst ... 96146186192193194195196197198199200206246296696 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,940 of 13927
    BANNED

About couples 'challenging' each other.

Did anyone catch the commentary about their relationship in SM/WW FE?

(Diana): "...I went deeper, fought harder... and nothing changed. Nothing except us. We changed, didn't we?"
    (Clark): "You were doing what you thought you had to do. I understood it then, and I understood it now."
    (Diana): "Mm."

Did anyone think it's Soule suggesting that it's a flaw from Clark's part? (And I disagree completely, of course.)

Here is the thing. If a writer wants to write Clark challenging Diana. He or she just has to write it.

Take the new 52. Clark already 'challenged' Diana in JL. He convinced her to accept the league's help.

Soule could have Clark challenge Diana again about her isolated mission. Unfortunately, he chose to give that scene to the pathetic Superdoom. Burned a nice character moment.

Clark could challenge Diana about her mission, help her towards a more pre52 mission of peace.

Clark is a freaking reporter. He coverered some very ugly issues. This is not a dumb naive boyscout. It's a quality that I think was often forgotten about pre52 Supes too. He observes, analyses, writes about the human condition. C'mon.

But. Writers just don't care much for Supes nowadays, do they? They don't want to give him many awesome moments. And it's not only that.

Wonder Woman fans, not only fans of other pairings, but I think true 'pure' Wondy fans, don't want Supes to be even mentioned in her solo title. They don't want him to save, or help, or participate in anything in her book.

It's a nice Catch-22 that people that don't like this pairing have: They can say that Clark doesn't challenge Diana all they want, and they know that there's practically an embargo against Supes. If Clark can't even give her a foot massage as thanks for all the times she saved and helped him, there's no chance in hell that he'll be allowed to challenge her. What a freaking ridiculous situation.

And here's a third thing: This is not a freaking competition.

I want Clark to learn fighting from Diana. It's one way she challenges him. What can he do as thanks for her? Teach her technology. It could be the beggining of a more tech advanced Themyscira. Call Hessia when things quiet down. Maybe Hessia and Diana create the purple healing ray using magic and kryptonian technology. Maybe that more advanced Themyscira from SM/WW FE is a result of that. Yes, I know the reaction of Wondy fans to such concepts would be *ugly*. Which just proves my points up there.

Diana gives Clark a better understanding of magic. He teaches her astronomy, interstellar navigation. She helps him with meditation, mind, philosophy. They both learn new languages together. They both discuss their desire to help more, do more. How can they achieve that without coming across as interfering?

Unfortunately, all of this falls into the category of the nice, happy, evolving, fruitful moments that I think the 1st and obviously 2nd arc failed to show.

But Clark doesn't 'challenge' Diana? BS of the highest order. If anyone can help Diana with her role as Goddess of War, understand and challenge her concepts, that one would be the reporter/scientist/empath/etc called Clark Kent.
    Last edited by dumbduck; 09-26-2014 at 11:56 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    About couples 'challenging' each other.

Did anyone catch the commentary about their relationship in SM/WW FE?

(Diana): "...I went deeper, fought harder... and nothing changed. Nothing except us. We changed, didn't we?"
    (Clark): "You were doing what you thought you had to do. I understood it then, and I understood it now."
    (Diana): "Mm."

Did anyone think it's Soule suggesting that it's a flaw from Clark's part? (And I disagree completely, of course.)

Here is the thing. If a writer wants to write Clark challenging Diana. He or she just has to write it.

Take the new 52. Clark already 'challenged' Diana in JL. He convinced her to accept the league's help.

Soule could have Clark challenge Diana again about her isolated mission. Unfortunately, he chose to give that scene to the pathetic Superdoom. Burned a nice character moment.

Clark could challenge Diana about her mission, help her towards a more pre52 mission of peace.

Clark is a freaking reporter. He coverered some very ugly issues. This is not a dumb naive boyscout. It's a quality that I think was often was forgotten about pre52 Supes too. He observes, analyses, writes about the human condition. C'mon.

But. Writers just don't care much for Supes nowadays, do they? They don't want to give him many awesome moments. And it's not only that.

Wonder Woman fans, not only fans of other pairings, but I think true 'pure' Wondy fans, don't want Supes to be even mentioned in her solo title. They don't want him to save, or help, or participate in anything in her book.

It's a nice Catch-22 that people that don't like this pairing have: They can say that Clark doesn't challenge Diana all they want, and they know that there's practically an embargo against Supes. If Clark can't even give her a foot massage as thanks for all the times she saved and helped him, there's no chance in hell that he'll be allowed to challenge her. What a freaking ridiculous situation.

And here's a third thing: This is not a freaking competition.

I want Clark to learn fighting from Diana. It's one way she challenges him. What can he do as thanks for her? Teach her technology. It could be the beggining of a more tech advanced Themyscira. Call Hessia when things quiet down. Maybe Hessia and Diana create the purple healing ray using magic and kryptonian technology. Maybe that more advanced Themyscira from SM/WW FE is a result of that. Yes, I know the reaction of Wondy fans to such concepts would be *ugly*. Which just proves my points up there.

Diana gives Clark a better understanding of magic. He teaches her astronomy, interstellar navigation. She helps him with meditation, mind, philosophy. They both learn new languages together. They both discuss their desire to help more, do more. How can they achieve that without coming across as interfering?

Unfortunately, all of this falls into the category of the nice, happy, evolving, fruitful moments that I think the 1st and obviously 2nd arc failed to show.

But Clark doesn't 'challenge' Diana? BS of the highest order. If anyone can help Diana with her role as Goddess of War, understand and challenge her concepts, that one would be the reporter/scientist/empath/etc called Clark Kent.

It's hard being the quintessential apex of heroes. Everyone thinks they can take a big chunk out of you because you can take, you got more, we got less etc. No one feels like tending to Superman anymore. So they make him a doormat, or bland in comparison to even the person he's dating just because he's so steadfast a concept. Well you guys are right. He'll outlive you and outlast but that's no reason to trample on his mighty invulnerable shoulders while we're here. Then when a Superman fan comes around a voices dislike of his treatment it sounds like 1st world problem. "Oh will you shut up fan boy, your guy has it better than everyone".

Why can't he be the opinionated dreamer that Morrison had offer two golden hamsters to the JL only to have him clash because he thinks to big? That's good friction, that's great character. Why can't he always be the more like Pak's guy (which is by extension Morrison's guy)? Don't get it twisted, I'm not asking for him to be perfect or whatever. Just played more as well SUPERMAN as opposed to superman.

The give and take of the relationship would just fantastic if it were this guy. He always wants to learn more as he's both a reporter and a scientist son with the natural proclivity to observe and study. Learning fighting from Wonder Woman would be less like "oh I gotta train you cuz you can't throw a punch" and more like him just wanting to learn more about her culture which includes fighting as it's a big part of it. Not doing it cuz he needs to learn just cuz he wants to learn from her. Sure it'll be handy in a pinch some time but so will that Tibetan mixture for sore bones he picked up while saving some monks awhile back. They were so grateful they showed it to him. Now when his next door neighbor with the bad back can be heard quietly mewling in pain he can knock on her door and brew her some as they have light conversation. Made all that up obviously but that's Superman

This was a great image of what I want from the new 52 and my guy. This was a great image of what I want when he's young. I think seeing this guy in a relationship with a Wonder Woman would be fun. Still hopeful for my wishes as always.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-26-2014 at 11:43 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    It's hard being the quintessential apex of heroes. Everyone thinks they can take a big chunk out of you because you can take, you got more, we got less etc. No one feels like tending to Superman anymore. So they make him a doormat, or bland in comparison to even the person he's dating just because he's so steadfast a concept. Well you guys are right. He'll outlive you and outlast but that's no reason to trample on his mighty invulnerable shoulders while we're here. Then when a Superman fan comes around a voices dislike of his treatment it sounds like 1st world problem. "Oh will you shut up fan boy, your guy has it better than everyone".

Why can't he be the opinionated dreamer that Morrison had offer two golden hamsters to the JL only to have him clash because he thinks to big? That's good friction, that's great character. Why can't he always be the more like Pak's guy (which is by extension Morrison's guy)? Don't get it twisted, I'm not asking for him to be perfect or whatever. Just played more as well SUPERMAN as opposed to superman.

The give and take of the relationship would just fantastic if it were this guy. He always wants to learn more as he's both a reporter and a scientist son with the natural proclivity to observe and study. Learning fighting from Wonder Woman would be less like "oh I gotta train you cuz you can't throw a punch" and more like him just wanting to learn more about her culture which includes fighting as it's a big part of it. Not doing it cuz he needs to learn just cuz he wants to learn from her. Sure it'll be handy in a pinch some time but so will that Tibetan mixture for sore bones he picked up while saving some monks awhile back. They were so grateful they showed it to him. Now when his next door neighbor with the bad back can be heard quietly mewling in pain he can knock on her door and brew her some as they have light conversation. Made all that up obviously but that's Superman

This was a great image of what I want from the new 52 and my guy. This was a great image of what I want when he's young. I think seeing this guy in a relationship with a Wonder Woman would be fun. Still hopeful for my wishes as always.
    Exactly. In AC he is the opinionated dreamer. In JL, Johns had him *against* Diana's wish to help in Kandak. WTH? In AC he was fighting with chains of all kinds of kryptonite hanging around his neck. In JL he keeled over from a small ring a few feet away from him. In JL, Johns also had him not being able to discuss with Diana's "When I deal with my enemies, I deal with them". I thought of 5 or 6 answers that he could have given her. But it's all BS anyway, since Wondy believes in giving second chances. But that is the level of Superman writing nowadays. Sad.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

Did you read Smallville Season 11?

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    Exactly. In AC he is the opinionated dreamer. In JL, Johns had him *against* Diana's wish to help in Kandak. WTH? In AC he was fighting with chains of all kinds of kryptonite hanging around his neck. In JL he keeled over from a small ring a few feet away from him. In JL, Johns also had him not being able to discuss with Diana's "When I deal with my enemies, I deal with them". I thought of 5 or 6 answers that he could have given her. But it's all BS anyway, since Wondy believes in giving second chances. But that is the level of Superman writing nowadays. Sad.
    Morison literally wrote out a blueprint on the new take of the character with his run once he realized he wasn't going to be on it for as long as he was on Batman (somewhere in the vast multiverse I'm quite happy because Grant Morrison is on his second year of his new 52 Superman run and Greg Pak has just joined him. They're peppering in Wonder Woman and the relationship when they can.....it's all glorious) Once he realized he would be done soon he quite literally explained everything down to the concept of the character in 19 issues all while Johns is almost actively fighting him. He left room for stories all around his life, past, present, or possible future to be told. He probably thought it would I don't know be freakin awesome to have back ups/mini/ongoing showcasing tee shirt and jeans Superman that would put a modern twist on golden age stores in these hard economic times when we all feel like we need this guy in particular. Oh...wait no..we can't really we can't have that? Oh well then how about using the set of the idealistic dreamer from Action comics 10 and playing with that more? No? I mean it could even work with him being young and Wonder Woman being young. How they have big ideas together. Still no?

Why get Morrison to basically build you a freakin ladder to the basketball hoop if you're gonna try an dunk even though you're 4 feet tall? Anyways back to my dream of Morrison and Pak writing issue that have Superman and Wonder Woman in them

Quote Originally Posted by dangleo61288 View Post
    Did you read Smallville Season 11?
    I'm told by it's fans that it's good, but I don't like Smallville so no. I've watched the whole thing from top to bottom and am still not into the idea of Superman as a teen melodrama fest or at least how they did it.

I'm told that everything is pretty much perfect in that comic but the foundation is just not to my liking in the least.

I enjoyed you guys thoughts (dumbduck and superlad) re challenging. Maybe Tomasi will do this. I think some fans are half the problem really. Some fans have lambasted new 52 SM because he's a "jerk" and does not act like Superman they say. I say he acted more like a Superman than Smallville Clark/Blur ever did and the older pre new 52 Clark both who spent a lot of their time whining and angsting or some crisis of conscience.

Some fans have bitched that new 52 Superman has done nothing good and yet we Doomed ending last week and as I say very few of them willing to celebrate how well he came across. Instead we get I want my Superman back because DC puts up a page of the multiverse. They don't want to see a Superman act a Superman. Some just want the trimmings that they feel comfortable with.

I will say though for me Pak writes a one note WW. Not extreme as Geoff Johns but he seems to only convey a warrior. He seems to not get the more thoughtful compassionate side of her at all and I don't mean in any of her interactions with Clark. She digs Clark I know that. But apart from fighting a good fight what has he said about her character? Nothing else. His Lana and his Lois and his Selina he seems to write way better. He just seems to put Diana in a few panels and do the mandatory strong warrior and that's it. Morrison admits he has problems with the character but hopes to try to understand her re his Earth One. Yet even for all that Morrison distilled Diana in that moment where she said does it matter how we disguise ourselves ? etc. That was a good WW moment. I think though Soule shows that while WW has no problem individuals having an ID or not...when it comes to a relationship...those things matter. Because Azz sets up a WW that does not want to wear a disguise. She is open about her life. (Though how no one sees she is WW baffles me.) Clark is asking her to keep what they have secret. There is bound to be some exploration around that. She shouldn't have to necessarily say, okay, let me be like you so I can date you. It's a good thing Soule asks those questions, I think. It's good Clark has his answers and it's natural Diana does not always feel comfortable about it. That's kinda honest. The characters both still are learning how to be a part of a unit ie a couple than two people who just do what they want.

I think DC missed a golden opportunity to have brash jeans and tee Clark interact with the zealous young Diana. My wish for a SM/WW Annual would have been them in an adventure together some four years back ....instead we got a crossover for their first...I hope we don't get that sort of thing again for their second Annual.
    Last edited by hellacre; 09-27-2014 at 09:33 AM.

I don't have a problem if Supes has some jerk in him. That matters little when he is putting his life on the line saving the earth etc... I don't mind boy scout Supes at all, but it is refreshing to see other sides of him in the prime universe. My fave hero is Cyclops and he to was the boy scout type. Obviously circumstances changed him. New 52 has also had circumstances that lead to changes, one of the biggest Pa and Ma are dead. That wont necessarily make him a jerk, but with them dead a safety net is gone. When he has troubles who is there to talk to etc..
    Interesting Fact: Cyclops runs the X-Office.

Quote Originally Posted by OpticDreams View Post
    I don't have a problem if Supes has some jerk in him. That matters little when he is putting his life on the line saving the earth etc... I don't mind boy scout Supes at all, but it is refreshing to see other sides of him in the prime universe. My fave hero is Cyclops and he to was the boy scout type. Obviously circumstances changed him. New 52 has also had circumstances that lead to changes, one of the biggest Pa and Ma are dead. That wont necessarily make him a jerk, but with them dead a safety net is gone. When he has troubles who is there to talk to etc..
    I disagree with the jerk assessment. The guy was raised by humans ie he should be able to get impatient or angry or be passionate about what he believes in. Basically that is penalizing the character for having emotions. That is more real to me than oh so nice preachy but dim Superman. Idealists are not bland people. I think it says a lot of the character who had no one to feed him and sew his uniform or pat his back every time he gets frightened and he still can learn and grow to become a hero.

I think boyscout type heroes are generally noble heroes but that does not make them doormats or finger wagging or sanctimonious or incapable of adhering to their principles when the going gets tough. The thing with boyscout naive happy go lucky Superman is that once things change not to his own comfort , he runs away, hides or goes psycho. Some writers sometimes can't get across what idealism means or how it should be portrayed. The character is black and white instead of more evolved and complex and layered and willing to go the distance no matter what. They've done it again in FE.
    Last edited by hellacre; 09-27-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    I disagree with the jerk assessment. The guy was raised by humans ie he should be able to get impatient or angry or be passionate about what he believes in. Basically that is penalizing the character for having emotions. That is more real to me than oh so nice preachy but dim Superman. Idealists are not bland people. I think it says a lot of the character who had no one to feed him and sew his uniform or pat his back every time he gets frightened and he still can learn and grow to become a hero.

I think boyscout type heroes are generally noble heroes but that does not make them doormats or finger wagging or sanctimonious or incapable of adhering to their principles when the going gets tough. The thing with boyscout naive happy go lucky Superman is that once things change not to his own comfort , he runs away, hides or goes psycho. Some writers sometimes can't get across what idealism means or how it should be portrayed. The character is black and white instead of more evolved and complex and layered and willing to go the distance no matter what. They've done it again in FE.
    One of the good things that was explored in SM/WW is how Clark fought. Basically fighting because he had the power, but not honing his skills etc. Also the dynamic if Clark is willing to go the extra mile if the situation called for it. Not that I would want him to kill a bad guy, but sometimes that may be the only option.
    Interesting Fact: Cyclops runs the X-Office.

Quote Originally Posted by OpticDreams View Post
    One of the good things that was explored in SM/WW is how Clark fought. Basically fighting because he had the power, but not honing his skills etc. Also the dynamic if Clark is willing to go the extra mile if the situation called for it. Not that I would want him to kill a bad guy, but sometimes that may be the only option.
    Agreed. But i think the whole "not killing" aspect is taken too much to heart. Comic book fans have short term memories. They forget Superman has killed before (and so has batman for that matter). Golden age superman was a real jerk when you think about it, but those antiquated notions are forgotten. It still doesn't mean that is the way SM should act nowadays.
    Personally I am happy now with new52 Clark and Diana. Pre-flashpoint SM stopped being the hero i grew up with for quite some time. And while I like perez's Diana, I have no qualms over Johns', Soule' or even Tomasi's WW. And now that new SM/WW dynamics are in play, i couldn't be happier during my reads.
    Last edited by Xarek; 09-27-2014 at 09:45 PM.
    Searching for Samus Aran. Still.

Hiya Superman/Wonder Woman fans! Here is a little reminder SMWWweek is almost upon us! Starting Wednesday Oct 1 we will be starting the countdown to the epic SMWW #12! So SMWW fan get your fan art, cosplay, fanfic, SMWW tees and anything you you have to show your love for the power couple ready! Let’s spread some Superman/Wonder Woman love!

Remember you can spread your Superman/Wonder Woman love on these HellYeahSupermanandWonderWoman run pages!

hellyeahsupermanandwonderwoman…

twitter.com/SMWWPinterest (for those without Pinterest pages) andwww.pinterest.com/dianaandkal/

instagram.com/dianaandkal

Spectacular Member

SM/WW is these only series I read regularly from DC comics! When they said that WW/SM were getting together, I was reading the JL series, they didn't really give their relationship a lot of focus, which I could understand since the JL series is more about a team of heroes. But when they said they might be breaking up after the trinty war, I lost my interest in the series, plus i didn't like the way WW was portrayed in the series, a hot head attacking everyone or wanting to cut people up that got in her way. Didn't care for her solo series at all, they changed her to much, seems they were trying to make her dark!! I really dislike them mading her the god of war. Too me that not her,she have always fought against the ways of war!!Making her the god of war go against everything she ever stood for!! These other thing i disliked about her solo series was, WW has always been a symbol for strong women!! A example for women, women can do anything men can do!! if a man wanted too be her love interest or she choose a man to be her love interest, he would have too respect her, treat her as a equal not a sex object. Not accepting a man calling her by a bodypart or accepting him brow beating her. Again that not her!! WW has always been one of my favorite hero, I loved and respected what she stood for!! But i don't respect or like what they have been trying too change her into. SM/WW series is these only series that portrays WW with some balance, as a power goddess, and as person! For me SM/WW is the best series DC has!!
    Last edited by chlj1; 09-28-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    I enjoyed you guys thoughts (dumbduck and superlad) re challenging. Maybe Tomasi will do this. I think some fans are half the problem really. Some fans have lambasted new 52 SM because he's a "jerk" and does not act like Superman they say. I say he acted more like a Superman than Smallville Clark/Blur ever did and the older pre new 52 Clark both who spent a lot of their time whining and angsting or some crisis of conscience.

Some fans have bitched that new 52 Superman has done nothing good and yet we Doomed ending last week and as I say very few of them willing to celebrate how well he came across. Instead we get I want my Superman back because DC puts up a page of the multiverse. They don't want to see a Superman act a Superman. Some just want the trimmings that they feel comfortable with.

I will say though for me Pak writes a one note WW. Not extreme as Geoff Johns but he seems to only convey a warrior. He seems to not get the more thoughtful compassionate side of her at all and I don't mean in any of her interactions with Clark. She digs Clark I know that. But apart from fighting a good fight what has he said about her character? Nothing else. His Lana and his Lois and his Selina he seems to write way better. He just seems to put Diana in a few panels and do the mandatory strong warrior and that's it. Morrison admits he has problems with the character but hopes to try to understand her re his Earth One. Yet even for all that Morrison distilled Diana in that moment where she said does it matter how we disguise ourselves ? etc. That was a good WW moment. I think though Soule shows that while WW has no problem individuals having an ID or not...when it comes to a relationship...those things matter. Because Azz sets up a WW that does not want to wear a disguise. She is open about her life. (Though how no one sees she is WW baffles me.) Clark is asking her to keep what they have secret. There is bound to be some exploration around that. She shouldn't have to necessarily say, okay, let me be like you so I can date you. It's a good thing Soule asks those questions, I think. It's good Clark has his answers and it's natural Diana does not always feel comfortable about it. That's kinda honest. The characters both still are learning how to be a part of a unit ie a couple than two people who just do what they want.

I think DC missed a golden opportunity to have brash jeans and tee Clark interact with the zealous young Diana. My wish for a SM/WW Annual would have been them in an adventure together some four years back ....instead we got a crossover for their first...I hope we don't get that sort of thing again for their second Annual.
    Thanks. Well the only thing about him interacting with her back then is that she wasn't a hero or off the island. Superman and Batman were the only ones active back then. Maybe a Mxy story were flings Superman around time forward and back and on one of his stops he sees a younger Wonder Woman briefly. Other than that I don't think there's a way that wouldn't just be retreading on Pak's Batman and Superman first arc.

I gotta I think your being a bit unfair to Pak on Wonder Woman seeing as he's only ever had a chance to write her as in a few short panels or and alternate world version of herself. Never have we actually seen him write her own his own for a prolonged amount of time. Also I don't think I ever saw anything wrong with Morrison's Wonder Woman aside from under use. When in use she was fantastic I thought. Now that he's doing a whole book on her I'm sure it wouldn't be a stretch to say he'd have more to say about her along with Superman in a book.

Both of these writers are just about some of the best working writers at the moment in quite a few ways if you ask me. Both have a vice grip-like handle on the Superman character that I can only imagine a select few others being able to compete with in any complicity. In Morrison's case he has the BEST handle of the very concept of superheroes as a whole that I've seen. The respect and grander he brings to the concept is just outstanding and full of good vibes. One of the main things I enjoy about him is that he comes with a grand and multifaceted angle anytime he digs into a project. But it's all housed in a simple to understand bombastic comic book trappings.

What would interest me greatly is the angle he would come at Superman and Wonder Woman with. He'd look at if from all aspects I feel. Like what it says about us as a comics culture for putting them together now of all times, what real world societal reflections can you see in them, what it says about DC and their fans. Then what it simply says in the comic world. He'd say and illustrate it all GOOD OR BAD. I think all of that would probably be distilled in his writing of them thus giving them a much fuller and long standing feel.

As for my main man Pak? Well that man is just a god at character work and good storytelling as a whole. He'd see what the set up was before him and just add on his great work fleshing them out even more while telling great bombastic stories. This stories that a grand and exciting but have a heartfelt center as we saw with his Action run before doomed.

It's a one two hit combo of great writing that would probably let this chapter of these characters lives go down in history as amazing. I truly believe that.

I'd add the great Jonathan Hickman to the bunch but THAT right there would be greedy as hell of me, because then the runs for the characters would be more god-like than they already would be
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-28-2014 at 04:02 PM.

BANNED

http://www.superheroden.com/superman...t-p-24056.html
    saw this on the ww boards, and of course it's being taken out of context by the usual detractors

Oh yeah, they're gonna have a field day with that one. Granted it IS a terrible and disrespectful conceptual idea for a piece of merchandise. Only thing in my power to do though is not purchase it.