Default Death of Superman digital series by Louise Simonson

I was surprised there weren't any comments on the front page about this series that debuted today.

I really only came here to ask one question after reading it:

How long have they had this in the can to have Superman in his New 52 costume? Like 2 years? It can't be a choice to situate him in a continuity that DC would like us all to forget (New 52) so the only thing that makes sense to me is that they've had this in a drawer for literally years and are, I don't know, maybe launching it now to coincide with the animated movie?

It's just really odd to see Superman in his New Coke, er, New 52 garb in a brand new series fully months after he fully completed his transition back to his classic look, red Underoos and all. Not here. Here he's got the New 52 collar and everything. This has to have been drawn years ago is the only explanation I can come up with.

Curious to know if anyone has another explanation.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I was surprised there weren't any comments on the front page about this series that debuted today.

I really only came here to ask one question after reading it:

How long have they had this in the can to have Superman in his New 52 costume? Like 2 years? It can't be a choice to situate him in a continuity that DC would like us all to forget (New 52) so the only thing that makes sense to me is that they've had this in a drawer for literally years and are, I don't know, maybe launching it now to coincide with the animated movie?

It's just really odd to see Superman in his New Coke, er, New 52 garb in a brand new series fully months after he fully completed his transition back to his classic look, red Underoos and all. Not here. Here he's got the New 52 collar and everything. This has to have been drawn years ago is the only explanation I can come up with.

Curious to know if anyone has another explanation.
    As i understand it, it is set in the DC animated movie continuity, which he still has the New 52 inspired suit. Since this series is a semi prequel/ companion piece to the death of Superman animated movie, which has him in that costume, thus he has that suit here. That's the only reason he has it.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I took a quick look at it, but I was kind of confused as to who the audience for this was exactly. Whoever it is, I don't think it is meant for me.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Checked it out, but wasn't really into it. Probably won't continue. Nice that they made the comic tie-in for the movie though.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oh, I thought this is a New 52/Rebirth version of Death of Superman, set in Rebirth continuity during the time he's wearing the New 52 costume, but movie tie-in explains wh the timing and why it's digital first.