Page 564 of 929 FirstFirst ... 64464514554560561562563564565566567568574614664 ... LastLast
Results 8,446 to 8,460 of 13927

Are there any ongoing (as in actually being updated) SM/WW fanfics that y'all would recommend. I've read a lot of the more popular older ones but it can kind of be a struggle trying to find a decent fanfic that's been recently published (what with lack of reviews and whatnot)/

Celestial Centurion Caelestial5595's Avatar

Oh well, I walked away from DC after Wednesday. Super-Dad got a diginified "fly off into the sunset" sendoff last time, which was far nicer than the way our guy was treated. It doesn't take a 12th level intellect to realize that the real reason they killed off our N52 Supes had nothing to do with sales, but merely to appease the rabid fans of one particular character whose role in Superman's life as the one person that "humanizes him and keeps him tethered to morality" is apparently more important than the message of Superman himself.

I thought I'd go to Marvel, and then it turns out they suddenly decided that Captain America of all people has been a deep cover Hydra agent from day one. Way to put me off comics folks, dragging my two favorite paragons through the mud like this.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MeloDet View Post
    Are there any ongoing (as in actually being updated) SM/WW fanfics that y'all would recommend. I've read a lot of the more popular older ones but it can kind of be a struggle trying to find a decent fanfic that's been recently published (what with lack of reviews and whatnot)/
    Broken Legacy by MarvelMaster-616 is a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by MeloDet View Post
    Here's most of the good stuff:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/community...9/0/1/0/0/0/0/

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestial5595 View Post
    Oh well, I walked away from DC after Wednesday. Super-Dad got a diginified "fly off into the sunset" sendoff last time, which was far nicer than the way our guy was treated. It doesn't take a 12th level intellect to realize that the real reason they killed off our N52 Supes had nothing to do with sales, but merely to appease the rabid fans of one particular character whose role in Superman's life as the one person that "humanizes him and keeps him tethered to morality" is apparently more important than the message of Superman himself.

I thought I'd go to Marvel, and then it turns out they suddenly decided that Captain America of all people has been a deep cover Hydra agent from day one. Way to put me off comics folks, dragging my two favorite paragons through the mud like this.
    Well, at this point, I made my growing out of comic books complete. Well, reading a better story with Kingdom Come, The Kingdom, and JSA 10-22 than what DC will tell at this point with rebirth. They killed a Superman, I don't care who liked or disliked him, but he was a Superman, and I walk away from buying DC books because of that. But then again, it was probably time to grow out of that anyways.

Yeah. It just made my walking away that much easier. Just fanfics and fanart for me from here on out.

Here's to a good romance story

I don't think they necessarily went out of their way to appease rabid Lois fans, I just think they got lucky, in the sense that the man with the keys to the entire DCU in Geoff Johns agrees with them. Since he doesn't understand Superman any more than they do, so relies on broad strokes that don't even necessarily apply--"farmboy", "can't function without Lois Lane" "Donner imagery everywhere". But you're right, it had absolutely nothing to do with sales on Superman's end. The lack of sales across the board triggered Didio to decree a big window-dressing event, one which may or may not have been due to WB threatening Didio with his job again, and Didio in turn let Johns do whatever the hell he wanted, and we see that in practice all across the DCU: his ideas, his preferences, get re-established. Anything he doesn't prefer or wasn't explicitly his idea is tossed. The one and only area in which I'm sure he didn't have complete free reign is Batman, because he's so successful as is and really is DC's only big current success (I count Harley in with that). But even then he got away with a little something with his three Joker idea.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-27-2016 at 08:50 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ugh. The Donner imagery looks so dated, especially Krypton with the overabundance of the crystal aesthetic. DCU Online had the worst Kryptonian armor designs ever with crystals seemingly sprouting outta the butt. lol. I actually did like Morrison and even Lobdell's vision of N52 Krypton. Even the DCEU one. Anything to not see crystals everywhere.

My counter to the Convergence issue with SuperKid's birth:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11560468/1/Miracle

Meta-theory here. Everything post-Rebirth for SM is a trial run for SuperDad. Fail, and he's out.
    In what way, could he fail in which, at the conclusion of this whole thing, we get N52 SM back.

I could definitely see that sort of shoddy storytelling method happening. It does seem like all they do with virtually everything except Batman is toss crap at a wall to see what sticks, which does suggest a constant "trial-run" mentality.

And I do think it will fail. Not because I personally have no interest in Superdad, but because of DC's general incompetence with Superman going on 15 years or so now. Anything they can screw up with him, they do screw up. This will be no different. But how long will it slog along until the New 52 Superman comes back? And will the same power structure be getting their umpteenth chance to start over again when that happens? Because if they're all inexplicably still around, New 52 Superman will just suffer again anyway.

In the end, nothing truly changes without a massive flux in power structure. Jobs need to be lost, jobs need to be reshuffled, more deserving talent needs to be promoted. As is the regime in place have had enough chances. That's the only hope for things getting better. Which version of Superman they use is secondary to even that. That's how laughable a state they're in these days.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-28-2016 at 02:32 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

It would also depend on whether people actually want to see Superman being a Dad. Plus, the usual "infallible" morality-compass that's pinned on a character that claims to be a just a guy from Kansas. And on Jon.
    How fast it'll fall, how many post-Crisis readers are left that's willing to dip in again, if they can dip in again.
    Even Johns have to have a business way of looking at this, if SuperDad can't cut it.

I'd stick around if he's still Superman. Not merged, not revealed to be someone else like Kon/Chris/ect.
    As miserable as it sounds, I am with the thought of "As bad as being in pain might be, the good thing about it is you're still alive." Plus, we might see the passing or going-away of people who made SM terrible.

It happened before, Stu Snyder, dude in charge of Cartoon Network, thought to be the cause or have a heavy involvement in ruining CN as well as the DC animation block, things like Young Justice and GL cancelled under his watch. Including a lot of action-oriented animation on the channel. He resigned, though the effects are tainting the channel still.

My counter to the Convergence issue with SuperKid's birth:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11560468/1/Miracle
    Liked it. Interesting story. More enjoyable than what is offered right now. Thank you.