Page 913 of 929 FirstFirst ... 413813863903909910911912913914915916917923 ... LastLast
Results 13,681 to 13,695 of 13927

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    What was going on in that WW #175 panel? I know the pic, its pretty classic by now, but I think this was during my comics sabbatical. Had something to do with Imperiex War fallout I'm guessing? But what was the plot of the particular issue and why is the lasso around him?
    I'm not sure now but I think Clark is being controlled by someone or something and Diana is fighting against him to stop him, his fight causes a lot of destruction.

Cool stuff, really nice speech by Diana there.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    "You'll see yourself as I see you. as the man I know you are. as the man I know and Love as my best friend" How can Diana lie with the lasso? I want to say, a few issues back, she was thinking about the motherhood and could only imagine herself with Kal as the father of her children.

Vintage Super-Wonder...

There isn't much to see from the Golden Age outside of Superman going to the JSA's headquarter to say "hi" to the team for which Diana serves as a secretary (smh).

All Star Comics #36...

Back then, the idea of a shared universe was practically non-existent compared to today. Even characters like Superman and Batman who shared a series since the 40s didn't team up before a decade later.

Although for commercial reasons, Superman was associated with Batman and Robin (World's Finest), while Wonder Woman was associated with Green Lantern and The Flash (Comic Cavalcade), the characters of Superman and Wonder Woman were kind of connected since the beginning because Marston had created Diana as a female response/counterpart to Superman, bespectacled secret identity included.

So, a potential SM/WW's partnership would have been "appropriate". *wink, wink*

William M. Marston: "Women's strong qualities have become despised because of their weakness. The obvious remedy is to create a feminine character with all the strength of Superman plus all the allure of a good and beautiful woman."

William M. Marston: "The wish to be super strong is a healthy wish, a vital compelling, power-producing desire. The more the Superman-Wonder Woman picture stories build up this inner compulsion by stimulating the child's natural longing to battle and overcome obstacles, particularly evil ones, the better chance your child has for self-advancement in the world."

In Marston/Peter's Sensation Comics #33 from 1944, Diana goes undercover and dances with a guy dressed as Superman, pointing out "how appropriate" is the dancing pair of WW and SM...

Such a shame DC don't do 'Greatest Stories Ever Told' compilation books any more (at least I don't think they do)

There is definitely enough material for a SMWW Greatest Stories Ever Told volume. That would be soooooo cool to have available on the market ...

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 06-20-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by friendly-fire-press View Post
    Such a shame DC don't do 'Greatest Stories Ever Told' compilation books any more (at least I don't think they do)

There is definitely enough material for a SMWW Greatest Stories Ever Told volume. That would be soooooo cool to have available on the market ...
    I'd be all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeisonWolf View Post
    "You'll see yourself as I see you. as the man I know you are. as the man I know and Love as my best friend" How can Diana lie with the lasso? I want to say, a few issues back, she was thinking about the motherhood and could only imagine herself with Kal as the father of her children.
    I don't see how she's lying. She loves him as his best friend. It's the truth.

Anyway, regarding any feelings Diana might have for Kal, she was aware that they couldn't be close as she'd liked (as she said in one of the previous issues), and she had put her feelings aside.

Btw, around that time, she was interested in a tall black dude named Trevor Barnes.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 06-20-2018 at 02:39 PM.

I don't see how she's lying. She loves him as his best friend. It's the truth.

Anyway, regarding any feelings Diana might have for Kal, she was aware that they couldn't be close as she'd liked (as she said in one of the previous issues), and she had put her feelings aside.

Btw, around that time, she was interested in a tall black dude named Trevor Barnes.
    then lasso works with half truths, I mean, even if she had seen the sad reality, a little time had passed so as to stop feeling the same. Kal was her best friend and she loved him as such but still loved him as more than a friend even a best friend.
    Trevor Barnes? unfortunately I do not know much about him, I do not have the numbers between 165-190 more or less. Is he a good character? I like her design. Dammit could have used him in the new WW movie.

then lasso works with half truths, I mean, even if she had seen the sad reality, a little time had passed so as to stop feeling the same. Kal was her best friend and she loved him as such but still loved him as more than a friend even a best friend.
    Little time? That story-arc was published 3 years before and the last time they played the "will they/won't they" with SM/WW was at least 2 years before WW #175.

Trevor Barnes? unfortunately I do not know much about him, I do not have the numbers between 165-190 more or less. Is he a good character? I like her design. Dammit could have used him in the new WW movie.
    I don't remember his characterization but I like the idea of a poc character as a love interest for Diana.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 06-21-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Little time? That story-arc was published 3 years before and the last time they played the "will they/won't they" with SM/WW was at least 2 years before WW #175.
    I don't remember his characterization but I like the idea of a poc character as a love interest for Diana.
    2 or 3 years? really? I was not a reader of comics at that time but, it was not in WW 170 where she and Lois talk about SM and what happened in 1000 years in asgard? where, although she can accept the place that corresponds to her, that doesn't mean she has overcome it, she says that she was foolish to have disapproved of her opportunity and that Lois is very lucky. also when she speaks to Lois with the lasso she refers to him as "the man I call my best friend", avoiding talking about his feelings for him. Is not it in WW 172-173 where she and Kal are fighting together? besides that in the number 172 Kal goes with Diana in his arms to save her? and in WW 162 where she says she would like to be a mother and imagines herself with Kal as the father of her children? I don't think that his feelings have changed much in this time and it is little, How often did a new comic come out? each month? every 2 months? 3 months? otherwise I don't understand how it could have been so long since issue 162 where she makes it clear that she still loves him and is not denying it, to 175.

by the way I like the appearance of Trevor Barnes reminds me of Eddy Gordo of Tekken haha

LOL...

2 or 3 years? really? I was not a reader of comics at that time but, it was not in WW 170 where she and Lois talk about SM and what happened in 1000 years in asgard? where, although she can accept the place that corresponds to her, that doesn't mean she has overcome it, she says that she was foolish to have disapproved of her opportunity and that Lois is very lucky. also when she speaks to Lois with the lasso she refers to him as "the man I call my best friend", avoiding talking about his feelings for him. Is not it in WW 172-173 where she and Kal are fighting together? besides that in the number 172 Kal goes with Diana in his arms to save her? and in WW 162 where she says she would like to be a mother and imagines herself with Kal as the father of her children? I don't think that his feelings have changed much in this time and it is little, How often did a new comic come out? each month? every 2 months? 3 months? otherwise I don't understand how it could have been so long since issue 162 where she makes it clear that she still loves him and is not denying it, to 175.
    I looked at the cover dates... the story where Diana and Clark share a "dream" of getting married and having a family was in Feb '99 (see below), followed by the 1000 years at Asgard in Jan. '00, and WW #175 has the cover date of Dec. '01.

I looked at the cover dates... the story where Diana and Clark share a "dream" of getting married and having a family was in Feb '99 (see below), followed by the 1000 years at Asgard in Jan. '00, and WW #175 has the cover date of Dec. '01.
    yes, but as I mentioned WW 141 and 1000 years in Asgard were not the last moments that showed attraction between WW and SM. WW 162,170,172 and even 175 (it can be said more or less) came later, there is also that issue where Diana confronts Kal about the dream where they get married and have a child, unfortunately I don't remember which issue it is. I know that in 141 and 1000 years in Asgard were one of the few moments in which they were really close to starting a relationship but in the following issues you can still see that they are attracted to each other. So for WW 175 I would say that Diana still loved Kal, even though she had just met Trevor, very little time had passed since WW 170 where if you read between the lines you can see how Diana still wants to be with him. even if it is true that after WW 175 SM doesn't return to the comics of WW until 195 after the death of Trevor Barnes. ironically SM returned in the comics of Rucka who even dedicate the last issue to them two exclusively.

yes, but as I mentioned WW 141 and 1000 years in Asgard were not the last moments that showed attraction between WW and SM. WW 162,170,172 and even 175 (it can be said more or less) came later, there is also that issue where Diana confronts Kal about the dream where they get married and have a child, unfortunately I don't remember which issue it is. I know that in 141 and 1000 years in Asgard were one of the few moments in which they were really close to starting a relationship but in the following issues you can still see that they are attracted to each other. So for WW 175 I would say that Diana still loved Kal, even though she had just met Trevor, very little time had passed since WW 170 where if you read between the lines you can see how Diana still wants to be with him. even if it is true that after WW 175 SM doesn't return to the comics of WW until 195 after the death of Trevor Barnes. ironically SM returned in the comics of Rucka who even dedicate the last issue to them two exclusively.
    Even if she could still have feelings for him, what was she supposed to say? "the man that I love as my best friend and potential partner"?

Diana and baby Jonathan from DKIII...

On sale here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wonder-Woma...UAAOSwOtdYTElj

Vintage Super-Wonder part 4...

If we have to look back at the roots of the SM/WW stuff, it's worth doing a brief digression on the merchandise as it seems that around the 70s (from what I'm aware of), the two of them began to be paired also in products and advertising. Some examples...

JCPenney's bedding from 1977...

Thanks to LoveStar for the link: https://flashbak.com/70s-bedding-gro...atalog-396053/

DC Comics tells its readers to match Superman with Wonder Woman in a toys ad inside their comics published around August 1978...

Licensed Greetings Cards from 1978 and 1980...

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 06-22-2018 at 10:09 PM.