Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I love Andy Kubert, but seriously. The artwork looks so phoned in.

When did Alfred get the toupée?

Quote Originally Posted by brucekent12 View Post
    In my opinion Grayson owes itself more to Forever Evil than anything Morrison wrote for Dick, though I enjyed his run on Batman and Robin. His outing by the Syndicate and his "death" are what set up Grayson. Does anyone know what Tynion's plans were for Dick if he had been able to write the book after the funeral?
    His book would have tied in more with Eternal. I think that is all we know about what would have been his Nightwing book. Since he was that blonde person on the Thanksgiving Eternal promo image.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    That's interesting, I've been seeing it in reverse the whole time. Damian's death in Morrison's run felt so final, and the characterisations and tone so singularly defined, that Tomasi's book in comparison just feels like someone doing their own thing but with similar toys. A Morrison-lite. Then Grayson came along and picked up not only the Spyral question - the second great big hanging thread from Incorporated - but also a distinct style and personalities so in tune they feel like a genuine follow up chapter.
    Yeah, I don't see it like that. I feel you could drop Spyral and just put in Checkmate, or another one of DC's spy groups, and the Grayson book wouldn't really be that different. So I don't see it as the next step in Morrison's story at all. I guess another reason is that Dick was never a really big part of Incorporated, it was mainly about Damian and Bruce, so that is why Grayson doesn't feel like a continuation of it. I mean INC already had Jason infiltrate Spyral before so Grayson doesn't really feel new in that aspect, but Damian being resurrected feels fresh and like the next step in the INC story. Plus the B&R book has used the most elements from INC than any other book so I think that helps it feel like that too.
    Last edited by Badou; 12-23-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    You ain't missing out on much, IMHO

But I feel his Forever Evil set Grayson up, and Grayson doesn't really match up with Morrison's pre-New 52 continuity, since Helena was introduced in Grayson
    Did Helena actually feature in Morrison's Batman pre reboot? Nothing springs to mind....

And I agree with others, fwiw. "Grayson" feels like a continuation of the Morrison story, whereas Robin Rises feels like a continuation of the Parallel Stories that other writers would be doing at the same time. I've always felt that the Blackest Night Batman stuff, Resurrection Of Ra's Al Ghul, and the rest of Tomasi's Batman And Robin all felt like it belonged together - but in a very different "world" to Batman And Robin Must Die, or Inc.

Whereas we last left Bruce under Morrison cowed and almost defeated, told in no uncertain terms by Kathy Kane to get back in his box and play in his city leaving the world alone. Being seen to do exactly that, and then sending in his own agent to infiltrate Spyral seems a logical - and far less depressing that the alternative - continuation of that plotline. And it wouldn't be the first time that the ongoing Morrisonish plotline would sub Dick in for Bruce as a lead with a big surge in New Villains.

In fact, in a recent reread it seems notable that the last we really see Dick in Inc is him coming face-to-face with Spyral and realising that he recognises Kathy Kane.

1000_master

Would just like to point out that bat-cat is walking bat-cow out at the 5th page .

*cuteness overload*

spoilers:
    Is the naked woman with no memory supposed to be Talia?
    end of spoilers

Incredible Member

So is Damian going to ask about Dick ever or are they going to let him ignore it too.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    spoilers:
    Is the naked woman with no memory supposed to be Talia?
    end of spoilers
    I think so.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    So is Damian going to ask about Dick ever or are they going to let him ignore it too.
    I'm guessing that Tomasi didn't want to be the one to open that can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    I think they are going to ignore it. They had a few good opportunities to mention Dick, like when all the Robins there gave their Robin symbol to Damian and how he comments there can only be one Robin, or at the end of the issue where they were in the graveyard looking at Damian's old grave. Could have had him looking at Dick's grave with a sad face or something for a panel too.

But I think they will ignore it going forward. Tomasi did bring in Dick for a small scene earlier in this arc, and I think Tomasi acknowledging him like that is about all we should expect. In that scene he didn't mention him being dead or the rest of the family not knowing he was alive. So in context a quick mention of Dick's death, or anything related to that, would have been odd as it hasn't been established anywhere in this story. It adds a layer to the story that Tomasi probably didn't want to deal with or tie into. He just wants to focus on his story that follows Batman INC.

Astonishing Member

Not my favorite issue ever, but full circle is right.

Damian debuted with a knock-down, drag-out fight in the Bat-Cave, only this time, Tim Drake is helping him and the antagonist is a different offspring of a different Devil figure, and instead of getting smashed through Jason Todd's costume display case, Jason Todd is here, too!
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

It is so unfortunate with this Dick being dead but everybody acts like he is not really a big part of the family is just weird and gives off the impression that his death meant nothing. If they did not know what to do with his death they could just made so he is known to be alive amongst the core famil y but they keep it hush. I don't know how this superpower with Damien is going to workout it just does not seem like something that should last long.

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    It is so unfortunate with this Dick being dead but everybody acts like he is not really a big part of the family is just weird and gives off the impression that his death meant nothing. If they did not know what to do with his death they could just made so he is known to be alive amongst the core famil y but they keep it hush. I don't know how this superpower with Damien is going to workout it just does not seem like something that should last long.
    I'm pretty sure Damian's powers aren't here for the long haul, probably will only last until March and they'll be gone post-Convergence. At least I hope so, it's not a plot point I'm particularly fond of. But I'm glad to have Damian back at last.

They really need to deal with Dick's situation soon, it's clear that no writer has a clue of how to handle the "Dick Grayson is dead" deal given how it reeks of editorial interference. I'm happy that Tomasi included him in Robin Rises a couple of issues ago, but his status there didn't fit at all with what's going on in Grayson. And there's really no reason for the Bat-Family to believe he's dead, as long as that's the general public's perception. It just makes Bruce and Dick look bad, especially with Barbara and if they don't bring Damian up to speed as well.

Bat-cow
    Bat-cat
    Titus
    all these pets for robin now
    Nice issue but the art kinda dragged the issue down. I mean the whole realization that damian has powers wasn't shown that well
    Oh Talia is alive as well, I wondered what happened with her and Ra's

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Very enjoyable issue. The art was pleasant, the story well wrapped up and it left me with a smile.

The only bits I didn't like were the bad paper quality and the price tag.