Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Hawkeye, #21

The Finale, Part 1:
    • David. Clint. Barney. The Building. The Tracksuit Draculas. The Clown.
    • Ever seen "Rio Bravo?" Check it out, it's pretty good.

Full article here.

BANNED

lmao @ Grills Sr throwing his son's pit on them

Oh that is glorious. Worth the wait.

The art is gorgeous as usual. This cannot come out quick enough.

Waiting to Take Over... Charles J. Baserap's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    The art is gorgeous as usual. This cannot come out quick enough.
    Well it sure can't come out any slower! ;-)

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

The artwork is fine... but that's it. It's hard to care, since I barely remember any of the story and have lost most interest in all of the characters at this point. The wait killed any momentum the series had in my mind and I have little enthusiasm for how this all ends. Just get to Lemire's run and hope to god the book actually comes out on a monthly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    The art is gorgeous as usual.
    Yeah.
    Cannot wait to hear some news about Aja's next gig.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    The artwork is fine... but that's it. It's hard to care, since I barely remember any of the story and have lost most interest in all of the characters at this point. The wait killed any momentum the series had in my mind and I have little enthusiasm for how this all ends. Just get to Lemire's run and hope to god the book actually comes out on a monthly basis.
    I disagree.

The art is on par with everything Aja's done in the series so far. While his lines might appear simplistic, he's doing masterclass storytelling work that's heads and shoulders above anyone else working in mainstream american comics these days.

Even if I didn't remember everything that's happened in the book, each issue has worked really well on its own, or it's not like you wouldn't have time to re read it and refresh yourself.

The wait got to a point that I stopped 'waiting'. It'll come when it comes, and I'll buy it, read it, and love it, like I have every other issue. In the end we'll have a pretty solid 22 issue run that's easily one of my favorite books in recent memory.

It's a shame that Aja's personal life/health prevented him from getting the book finished up in a more timely manner, but the work will sit collected for decades to come, and it's the quality of work that will be remembered and celebrated, not the month on the cover of a single issue. hopefully.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I disagree.

The art is on par with everything Aja's done in the series so far. While his lines might appear simplistic, he's doing masterclass storytelling work that's heads and shoulders above anyone else working in mainstream american comics these days.

Even if I didn't remember everything that's happened in the book, each issue has worked really well on its own, or it's not like you wouldn't have time to re read it and refresh yourself.

The wait got to a point that I stopped 'waiting'. It'll come when it comes, and I'll buy it, read it, and love it, like I have every other issue. In the end we'll have a pretty solid 22 issue run that's easily one of my favorite books in recent memory.

It's a shame that Aja's personal life/health prevented him from getting the book finished up in a more timely manner, but the work will sit collected for decades to come, and it's the quality of work that will be remembered and celebrated, not the month on the cover of a single issue. hopefully.
    The storytelling on the book is perfectly fine and Aja definitely is strong when it comes to layouts in comparison to most artists I see, but it never really excites me or impresses me too much. It's more of a personal opinion and view thing. I see why people like it, but it doesn't do all that much for me.

Oh I have no doubt the series will read much better when collected together and it'll probably be good then. I plan on actually reading all together at once all of the trades been collected to see how it flows and reads. Right now, the wait has been frustrating, even if the reason is very understandable given the circumstances.

I understand the frustration with the wait, but in the end it doesn't really bother me. I can wait. It's just comics.

Whatever was happening in his life was/is obviously and easily more important than drawing comics pages and I can deal with that.

This all looks brilliant, of course.

But perhaps someone can tell me: why the wait has been frustrating?

BANNED

Did Aja have personal issues going on? I think Fraction stretched himself too thin also, and unfortunately -- or perhaps fortunately -- he chose his creator-owned stuff over his Marvel gig. Can't fault him in that regard, no matter how much I enjoy Hawkguy.

Looks great..Can't wait!
    Hawkeye - Secret Avengers - Ms. Marvel - Inhuman - Ant-Man

Gonna be sad to say goodbye to Fraction/Aja Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Did Aja have personal issues going on? I think Fraction stretched himself too thin also, and unfortunately -- or perhaps fortunately -- he chose his creator-owned stuff over his Marvel gig. Can't fault him in that regard, no matter how much I enjoy Hawkguy.
    I think David had a child, among other things. And I'm sure Matt stretched out too thing during the Inhumans/FF fiasco, but he did mention quite some time ago that he had finished writing the last Hawkeye issue. It seems the delays are now all on David, unless some rewrites took place.

I don't mind the delays, as it doesn't take away form Aja's stellar art work. I certainly prefer to wait a couple of months rather than get rushed, fill-in art.