Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    . . . Also, KC is an elseworld.
    What about KFC?

And is The Sunshine Band an Elseworld?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    No Elseworld Kingdom Come Orion, Earth 22 isn't exactly the same as the original Kingdom Come.
    ok so there are two kingdom come universes ?

Quote Originally Posted by kid_omega_prime View Post
    ok so there are two kingdom come universes ?
    No Kingdom Come was the original story its not canon, Earth 22 is the Universe that's based of Kingdom Come but its not exactly the same.

There will probably be some differences every time they depict kingdom come in comics. As for the new gods, I view the pre-flashpoint and pre-coie new gods as different characters in different universes from the current new gods in the New 52.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    What about KFC?

Some people mistakingly believe that it was originally Kingdom Come that got the CBR Boards started, but it was really KFC. Delicious KFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    If you're looking for perfect consistency in comics, you're not going to find it.

The best, most inclusive scheme and explanation was created by Grant Morrison, hinted at numerous times by Kirby and a few others over the years. Namely that the New Gods exist as higher dimensional beings of such power that they can't enter the physical multiverse directly. Rather, they interact with the universes we know via shades of their true self; they are Plato's True Objects, casting shadows on the cave wall of the Physical Multiverse. The shadows vary in fidelity and definition depending on the lightsource, which explains the contradictory continuity and appearances over the years.

Every showing is equally valid and invalid; all of them just representation of something unknowable.
    This is perfectly worded as an explanation for the New Gods. PERFECTLY.

Edit: Now, I post regularly on boards where this would totally confuse the masses--the concept is just too heavy for the reader who just looks to see Wolverine slashing up Sabretooth for the umpteenth time. But you've phrased this so eloquently that it basically answers the question completely for even the layman, and the thing is, it's true.
    Last edited by Montressor; 12-31-2014 at 02:36 PM.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

BANNED

Earth 22 won't be the exact Kc, I'm sure Grant said most of the earths automatically get new jim lee ish style costumes.

I can expect them to do that too to New Frontier , Earth 21.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Yes. All of them are the same, seen from different angles.

Also, KC is an elseworld.
    Kingdom Come is set in Earth 22

There is one prime version of each of the new gods which exists in the 4th world. The event Final Crisis involves the prime version of Darkseid falling out of the 4th world, Darkseid states that they have just been reflections up until that point. in a JL comic a good few years prior to FC Metron says that they exist in Multiple places at once when questioned as to why a god is floating outside is wasting his time with a random mortal, this was also confirmed by Morrison in an interview.

A retcon by Morrison to tie up the terrible inconsistencies with the new gods.
    Last edited by Dextersinister; 12-31-2014 at 10:49 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    No Kingdom Come was the original story its not canon, Earth 22 is the Universe that's based of Kingdom Come but its not exactly the same.
    ok i'm going a little of topic for a min. people say the story is not conon ? whats that mean ? oh and what dc universes are canon then ?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    This is perfectly worded as an explanation for the New Gods. PERFECTLY.

Edit: Now, I post regularly on boards where this would totally confuse the masses--the concept is just too heavy for the reader who just looks to see Wolverine slashing up Sabretooth for the umpteenth time. But you've phrased this so eloquently that it basically answers the question completely for even the layman, and the thing is, it's true.
    Thanks, sir. Very kind!

Fantastic Member

So... the new gods are more like living concepts that interact with the multiverse on many levels rather than characters in different comic books written by different people who are trying to tell a story where different aspects of these characters' personality are in focus primarily in relation to the subject at hand and the mindset of the author.

Did I understand that correctly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Did anybody ever tell you that your writing style really matches your location?

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Dextersinister View Post
    Kingdom Come is set in Earth 22
    Not really. Kingdom Come is an Elseworld that later crossed over with the main continuity and established the concept of HyperTime, in "The Kingdom".

The Earth 22 continuity is based on Kingdom Come, but changed it's ending. It's basically "What Alex Ross would have done", and it sucks IMHO.

If both slightly different continuities are to be merged into Earth 22, that would be t5he most elegant solution, yes, but as it stands now, Kingdom Come proper remains an Elseworld.

All the rest of your post, yes, it's exactly what I was saying,

Quote Originally Posted by kid_omega_prime View Post
    ok i'm going a little of topic for a min. people say the story is not conon ? whats that mean ? oh and what dc universes are canon then ?
    No easy or definite answer. Read as many comics as you can and figure it out. Just understand that most "wikis" you''ll find out there are full of errors and inconsistencies. They're ok for catching up and have a basic understanding, but once you have a more well-thought question, they'll not answer it for you.

As a rule, though, nothing that was published under the "Elseworld" banner is canon unless directly stated otherwise and, even then, take it with a grain of salt.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Platinius View Post
    So... the new gods are more like living concepts that interact with the multiverse on many levels rather than characters in different comic books written by different people who are trying to tell a story where different aspects of these characters' personality are in focus primarily in relation to the subject at hand and the mindset of the author.

Did I understand that correctly?
    Yes, you understood it perfectly. Sadly, few authors - and I'm guessing no editor - do.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

When I read Morrison, I think the New Gods are definitely living concepts. When I read Kirby, and especially with the Eternals, from Galactus to Darkseid, I think he sees gods and extraterrestrials as much more related.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 01-03-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    When I read Morrison, I think the New Gods are definitely living concepts. When I read Kirby, and especially with the Eternals, from Galactus to Darkseid, I think he sees gods and extraterrestrials as much more related.
    You're talking about different things. It's a bit like saying that because he co-created Captain America, Kirby sees all superheroes as jingoistic patriots.

The New Gods was a method to explore the notion of a new mythology that reflected the forces alive and vital in modern society. The Eternals/Celestials were an outlet to explore the notion of gods-as-aliens, 'god' both in the sense of the creator of man and the mythical gods of the Norse, Greek, etc religion.