Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Should be easy to portray new gods like real people.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I have been going back and forth about this many times for years now. Were Kirby's New Gods predecessors to Gaiman's Endless? Maybe, but I think he is definitely suggesting that mankinds gods could be seen as aliens, I think that's one of his themes throughout his career, not the only one, but it's consistent.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 01-10-2015 at 05:22 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jan Itor View Post
    The New Gods are outside of the 52 worlds. This map might help:

http://media.dcentertainment.com/sit...9.11031355.jpg
    well I was asking what universe they are from before dc rebooted the comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kid_omega_prime View Post
    well I was asking what universe they are from before dc rebooted the comics.
    In the post-Crisis, pre-New52 universe, the New Gods are from THE universe. There's only one universe. That was the point of Crisis.

I have fond memories of the legion great darkness saga so I tend to view apokolips and new genesis as just your usual planets.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    In the post-Crisis, pre-New52 universe, the New Gods are from THE universe. There's only one universe. That was the point of Crisis.
    ok what I meant was what universe were they from originally ? before crisis on I,E's ? before earth-1, earth-two, earth-4 and earth-s became new earth ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Well, Superman is the one DC character that really fits into the New Gods mythos, isn't he? He's pretty much the embodiment of finding your way in life and supporting your fellow man. And yeah, Kirby's not above saying that technology is part of godhood-- in fact, his work always shows that. That's not incompatable with the Fourth World as a modern mythology and the New Gods as symbolic beings. Mr Miracle is the freedom of youth, always finding a way out of trouble, and part of that is embracing new things. Himon, at least traditonally, was his counterpart, finding freedom in wisdom, but trapped on Apokolips, spreading truth to those who would listen. Sci-Fi is a major part of it, but as Kirby understood, sci-fi was always part of mythic fiction, and it's the philosophy that makes it stick with us. Science has just proved things we always knew deep down.

Since Kirby, only Walt Simonson has really got this. (And Mark Evanier would say he's the guy who got it most wrong.) Morrison sorta did, but felt he needed to throw it into the idea of reality, his major theme, which is kinda why we're quibbling about how the New Gods fit into the DCU/New 52.
    Simonson really got Kirby's ideas and was able to expound on them quite well. His Thor run felt like an extension of Kirby's Thor and Tales of Asgard.

BANNED

ok what I meant was what universe were they from originally ? before crisis on I,E's ? before earth-1, earth-two, earth-4 and earth-s became new earth ?
    Earth 1, but there's no evidence that they didn't exist in any of the other 'verses.

All-New Member

The New Gods, IIRC, are from a higher dimension. That is whay they exist in all universes at once and can only be reached via Boom Tubes.

bill

Spectacular Member

Based on a very short amount of research based on this site and the wiki, I would say, based on Justice League of America 183-185 that the new gods existed outside of the common multiverse.

Now, that's without having read said issues, but at least it's somewhere to start.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I'll repeat. They were always from a dimension above the multiverse.

Always means always. As in, "since their creation".

New Gods did not have that many appearances pre-coie. Writers were probably free to interpret new genesis and apokolips as being in another dimension or just in space. Both new genesis and apokolips looked like your usual planets and my guess is some writers did portray them as just planets in space as was the case with legion of super-heroes great darkness saga. For most pre-coie stories, it is probably not important if the new gods are from another dimension or just far far away in space. Where the new gods are from is probably not clear in most of the pre-coie stories. For coie 8, apokolips is described as being in another dimension but Darkseid still had to cloak apokolips to hide apokolips from the anti-monitor. For pre coie, the most well know dimension is probably the dimension of mr mxyzptlk. Amethyst was also from another dimension. Trigon also had his own dimension. For the coie story, anti-monitor seems to have started with the alternate universes first and maybe later planned to go to the various dimensions.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 01-11-2015 at 05:03 PM.

BANNED

Alright let me try to get this straight. In the new 52 darkseid tried to invade prime earth then felled so then he tried again on earth 2 but for some reason he won and killed there version of superman, batman and Wonder Woman ? So on say Orion's page one says earth one/new earth the other says prime earth but instead of 3 Orion's like with other characters Orion is reborn and so are the other new gods ? Is that right ?

edit edit edit edit
    Last edited by Montressor; 07-20-2015 at 09:58 AM.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    If you're looking for perfect consistency in comics, you're not going to find it.

The best, most inclusive scheme and explanation was created by Grant Morrison, hinted at numerous times by Kirby and a few others over the years. Namely that the New Gods exist as higher dimensional beings of such power that they can't enter the physical multiverse directly. Rather, they interact with the universes we know via shades of their true self; they are Plato's True Objects, casting shadows on the cave wall of the Physical Multiverse. The shadows vary in fidelity and definition depending on the lightsource, which explains the contradictory continuity and appearances over the years.

Every showing is equally valid and invalid; all of them just representation of something unknowable.
    This is the final answer...I really need to get up on Kirby's New Gods work (just read his Captain America run from the 70's) and see just how much he hinted towards this.

It's an awesome concept--characters so powerful, so 'beyond' human scope that only their 'shadows' or reflections manifest in lower reality. I imagine the true Darkseid manifesting on Earth would be like a white-hot coal burning through a thin sheet of ice.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/