Astonishing Member

Default DC Comics Editors

While talking about Archie Goodwin's role as editor in shaping Loeb's best works, I realized that, in fact, I don't know much about the world of the editors. I am not talking about the big names, or the powers that be, like Quesada or Harras, but about the relatively lesser-known editors, like Idelson, Cunningham, Cavalieri.
    Curiously enough, even if the success of a series depends in good part on the editor's skills, this particular side of comics industry is still obscure IMHO. I created this thread to talk about them, and to give myself a better idea about their skills and faults.
    Please, don't let this thread become a flame. I don't know much about editors myself, and I sincerely hope to learn something about the main personalities in this field.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    While talking about Archie Goodwin's role as editor in shaping Loeb's best works, I realized that, in fact, I don't know much about the world of the editors. I am not talking about the big names, or the powers that be, like Quesada or Harras, but about the relatively lesser-known editors, like Idelson, Cunningham, Cavalieri.
    Curiously enough, even if the success of a series depends in good part on the editor's skills, this particular side of comics industry is still obscure IMHO. I created this thread to talk about them, and to give myself a better idea about their skills and faults.
    Please, don't let this thread become a flame. I don't know much about editors myself, and I sincerely hope to learn something about the main personalities in this field.
    Sometimes editors aren't given enough credit.

Once I discovered their importance, I did some investigating and found that in the '80s, Marvel and DC would have one editor handle a "family" of books.
    Now days, it's similar but not as much as the "families" are bigger and require more than one editor.

Having one editor per family was a great idea because readers tended to read comics related to each other. While it can be challenging to keep an entire line of comics in the same continuity, it's easier to maintain cohesion between a handful of books.

I'm a firm believer that a "family", like JLA, X-Men, Superman or Batman should have no more books than can be handled by one editor.

Astonishing Member

DC still does that. For example Berganza is the Group Editor of Superman titles (with a few exceptions), Idelson is Group Editor of Green Lantern related ones and Mike Marts and now Mark Doyle does the Batman family.