Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Why did Geoff Johns systematically retcon everything that Gerard Jones ever wrote?

Does anyone have any theories about that?

Ahh, man. Don't even get me started. I could write a book about this subject, but I'll just make it short and sweet. Hal Jordan had gray hair and was portrayed as fallible. Johns couldn't have that. Not on his watch! Also, John Stewart defeated Hal and got his would-be girl, so we never heard about Mosaic ever again.

Astonishing Member

I think it's time to bring back the GL subform.

Surely it would have more traffic than Wonder Woman's.

BANNED

You would be surprised.

Always a lot of messages in the wondie forum.

Always Rakzo

Not really. Johns still kept most of the characterization that Jones used for Hal and Guy.

I could argue that Ron Marz was the one who retconned everything what Gerard Jones did though.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Also, John Stewart defeated Hal and got his would-be girl, so we never heard about Mosaic ever again.
    I remember seeing Mosaic on the shelves but never read it. Was it as sexist as is sounds from your description? I liked the art on the book and even flipped through it but I wasn't into Green Lantern at the time. I loved the period where Jordan quit and Stewart replaced him.

Amazing Member

I'm not talking characterization so much as I'm talking STORIES. He flushed Jones's STORIES. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by phantom309 View Post
    I remember seeing Mosaic on the shelves but never read it. Was it as sexist as is sounds from your description? I liked the art on the book and even flipped through it but I wasn't into Green Lantern at the time. I loved the period where Jordan quit and Stewart replaced him.
    Um... I wouldn't call the series sexist. If anything, it was rather open minded and about challenging prejudices. Hal Jordan just tried exerting his machismo over John (who he viewed as like a dumb little brother, or something [at least that's how John viewed how Hal viewed him... I hope that makes sense]), and a girl he liked, who liked the dumb little brother figure better.

I would certainly recommend it, but bare in mind it is its own kind of Green Lantern story. There's nothing else in Green Lantern remotely like it.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Spy Smasher View Post
    I'm not talking characterization so much as I'm talking STORIES. He flushed Jones's STORIES. Why?
    Again, that was mostly Ron Marz.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I think it's time to bring back the GL subform
    I wouldn't mind that indeed. Kind of tired to see all those pointless discussions about Hal and John.

Amazing Member

No, no, no. Marz obliterated all the GLs and put the ring on Kyle. He didn't flush earlier STORIES. They were still in continuity. Geoff flushed Jones's STORIES. They just NEVER HAPPENED, according to Geoff.

Um... I wouldn't call the series sexist. If anything, it was rather open minded and about challenging prejudices. Hal Jordan just tried exerting his machismo over John (who he viewed as like a dumb little brother, or something [at least that's how John viewed how Hal viewed him... I hope that makes sense]), and a girl he liked, who liked the dumb little brother figure better.
    I don't get why people claim that John and Hal didn't like each other. John respected Hal since he was the GL of sector 2814 before he was and had a lot of experience.

That was written by Gerard Jones by the way.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Samedi View Post
    I wouldn't mind that indeed. Kind of tired to see all those pointless discussions about Hal and John.
    If Jonah puts that guy who called himself Bored in charge of it again, it wont last long. But let's stay on topic here.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Spy Smasher View Post
    No, no, no. Marz obliterated all the GLs and put the ring on Kyle. He didn't flush earlier STORIES.
    He did actually, Jones' Hal would have never done the things Marz' Hal did.

Yes, Emerald Twilight was an editorial mandate but still Marz' portrayal was way off.

They were still in continuity. Geoff flushed Jones's STORIES. They just NEVER HAPPENED, according to Geoff.
    Those things still happened when he started on Green Lantern.

It was Flashpoint what erased most of it.

All-New Member

I would certainly recommend it, but bare in mind it is its own kind of Green Lantern story. There's nothing else in Green Lantern remotely like it.
    Ok, the would be girlfriend thing was why I thought that. So she wasn't just into John due to him winning a fight. I am headed out today to the LCS and I am going to pick up Mosaic if available. Lots of good things being said about it around the forum.