Super Moderator

Default Pipeline - May 13, 2014

While DC is looking five years into the future, Augie goes back a decade with "Formerly Known as the Justice League." Plus, new McSpidey Chronicles!

Full article here.

BANNED

The follow up "I can't believe It's not Justice League" was equally as good if not better.
    The Guy Gardner scene in hell was heart breaking.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    The follow up "I can't believe It's not Justice League" was equally as good if not better.
    ICBINJL was the best. I'm a Wally West Flash fan, but if I had only one book I could take to a deserted isle, it would be that title. It was hilarious. So much fun packed into a mere few inches worth of space. Max Lord was not pure evil. The Blue & The Gold. Gnort.

Yeah...

I just might have it buried with me in case limbo lasts longer than expected.

Of course right after that I just had to read the this & that assorted CRISES!!! trades (not COIE) *sigh*

The years before DC52 were pretty terrible.
    Unfortunately, the DC52 are, imho, arguably just as bad.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    I didn't want to tip my hat too soon, but -- I'll be reviewing that mini next week. I have one issue left to (re-)read. And, yes, that scene in Hell is breathtaking for this series. THere's a lot of character development and pay-off in that storyline for a story that had basically been dead and buried in the wake of the turbulent DC universe at the time...

The issue in the strip bar, though -- ? Not my thing.

-Augie

I didn't really care for the two JLI revival series. There were too much on the comedy side. The original run WAS not a comedy book..It was more a dramady (I hate that term)... yes, there was funny dialog, and fun character interactions, but the characters themselves weren't jokes, and that's what I felt the revivals made them into.
    Static Pulse: That's why I like you. You're like four degrees away from being a William Gibson protagonist.
    Old board post count: 2,089

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Augie De Blieck Jr. View Post
    I didn't want to tip my hat too soon, but -- I'll be reviewing that mini next week. I have one issue left to (re-)read. And, yes, that scene in Hell is breathtaking for this series. THere's a lot of character development and pay-off in that storyline for a story that had basically been dead and buried in the wake of the turbulent DC universe at the time...

The issue in the strip bar, though -- ? Not my thing.

-Augie
    Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
    I didn't really care for the two JLI revival series. There were too much on the comedy side. The original run WAS not a comedy book..It was more a dramady (I hate that term)... yes, there was funny dialog, and fun character interactions, but the characters themselves weren't jokes, and that's what I felt the revivals made them into.
    I have to agree with you.
    The first half of JLI's run was more serious, with some humor thrown in to lighten the tone and make the characters seem real. By the time of General Glory, it started to become a parody of itself.
    Breakdowns in a way brought it back to the level it had started at. But then it was over...

I also stumbled upon this..

From Comics Continuum. July 9, 2003.

FORMERLY KNOWN AS THE JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 SELLS OUT

DC Comics continues its string of sold-out debut issues with Formerly Known as the Justice League #1, sold out at the publisher less than a week after its on-sale date of July 2.

"Whaddaya know... lightning does strike twice," said Keith Giffen. The six-issue mini-series is written by Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis, with art and cover by Kevin Maguire and Joe Rubinstein.

"Both new readers and those who enjoyed this team's Justice League from the 1980s are responding very positively to this project," said Bob Wayne, DC's VP - Sales & Marketing. "Retailers should go ahead and increase their orders on upcoming issues, since it looks like demand for this miniseries is going to continue to grow."

DC has no plans to go back to press on this issue at this time.

Source.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 05-14-2014 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
    I did like them, but yeah, I'd have preferred a bit more drama and a bit less comedy too.

I'd love to buy DC, too, except for different reasons.

The New52's "Marvel-izing" OF the DCU is about as enjoyable as tooth decay.

We're not actually getting "Marvel," and it's cost us "DC." Whatever this thing is that Didio has created simply isn't worth what we've lost.