Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    N7 Krypton Elite N7 Joseph Shepard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evangelionofasgard View Post
    TAS, MOS, New 53.... not necessarily in that order.
    New 53?? lol

New 52 hands down. Before the New 52 I didn't really invest much time in Supes but now I'm thoroughly enjoying his adventures.

I have to go with the Bronze Age. While I have a great fondness for the Golden Age and even the Silver Age, the silliness of the SA is a bit much for me once I was beyond small child age and the GA Superman doesn't quite have his full set of ideals yet. The BA gives us a Superman with a fully developed mythology and ideals with some whimsy and fun but a note of seriousness without going into full blown darkness and morbidity as supposed synonyms for adult and mature.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Mine might be a little bit of an odd answer but if I'm honest then it's the only answer that I can give.
    I like this answer. He's the Superman that you, whoever you may be, think of as Superman. It's the very reason that some people will accept certain versions and others won't. But he's the one that fulfills your ideals.

I'm really surprised to see quite a few people on here list N52 Supes as one of their favs, from the way I saw people speak about him online I thought he was really maligned by the majority of people.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Mine might be a little bit of an odd answer but if I'm honest then it's the only answer that I can give. At the great risk of sounding super pretentious, my favorite version of Superman is that version of Superman that every human being just "knows" about once they've simply heard of the character and idea. I mean do you all know what I mean when I say it's the Superman that you "just know"? His idea is somehow sitting at the nexus of Bugs Bunny/Mickey Mouse, Jesus, Hercules, and Santa. He can do anything simply because we need him to. He always knows what to say, and he'll always be there for you. He's the ultimate Mr. Fix it and the ultimate rebel who shows you that limits are only as strong as you let them be. Gravity and it's cohorts the laws of physics have no hold over him. He's a vehicle to explore your emotional spectrum and the deepest depths of your imagination.

This Superman has no specific era or comic run. He is often channeled by creators though. Morrison is the most overt and consistent in invoking the spirit of this Superman. Mark Millar calls on this Superman quite a lot but muddies him up a bit (just a enough to make a every so slight variation in the grand picture) sometimes for the sake of story and theme.

Alan Moore for sure, Greg Pak has flashes of this, Waid, Ellis, and the list goes on all the way to you and me when we day dream about him. He's always tweaked a bit (sometimes a lot) for one reason or another, but there is this constant indestructible core of the character that will not and can not be destroyed because of the simple fact that when you hear the name Superman there is an almost uncontrollable idea of the character that runs into the human mind. That thought is only really changed when we get older and jaded as the binding chains of our own convoluted continuity wrap around us. But he's always their in the end ready to help bust us out when we need it.

Now I'll go back into hiding. Happy holidays, super friends!
    While my favorite is Bronze Age Superman followed by Post Crisis, that's my sentiment exactly.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    I'm really surprised to see quite a few people on here list N52 Supes as one of their favs, from the way I saw people speak about him online I thought he was really maligned by the majority of people.
    Personally, I'm not reading much in the way of current comics so I cannot address the current "reality" other than to say I read the earliest new Superman stuff and rather liked how it tried to do a 21st century take on the Golden Age Superman. My one downside is I think there was way too much assumed knowledge and throwing everything at the readers at once. I know these references but a new reader would be totally confused.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

1986-2008ish.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Mine might be a little bit of an odd answer but if I'm honest then it's the only answer that I can give. At the great risk of sounding super pretentious, my favorite version of Superman is that version of Superman that every human being just "knows" about once they've simply heard of the character and idea. I mean do you all know what I mean when I say it's the Superman that you "just know"? His idea is somehow sitting at the nexus of Bugs Bunny/Mickey Mouse, Jesus, Hercules, and Santa. He can do anything simply because we need him to. He always knows what to say, and he'll always be there for you. He's the ultimate Mr. Fix it and the ultimate rebel who shows you that limits are only as strong as you let them be. Gravity and it's cohorts the laws of physics have no hold over him. He's a vehicle to explore your emotional spectrum and the deepest depths of your imagination.

This Superman has no specific era or comic run. He is often channeled by creators though. Morrison is the most overt and consistent in invoking the spirit of this Superman. Mark Millar calls on this Superman quite a lot but muddies him up a bit (just a enough to make a every so slight variation in the grand picture) sometimes for the sake of story and theme.

Alan Moore for sure, Greg Pak has flashes of this, Waid, Ellis, and the list goes on all the way to you and me when we day dream about him. He's always tweaked a bit (sometimes a lot) for one reason or another, but there is this constant indestructible core of the character that will not and can not be destroyed because of the simple fact that when you hear the name Superman there is an almost uncontrollable idea of the character that runs into the human mind. That thought is only really changed when we get older and jaded as the binding chains of our own convoluted continuity wrap around us. But he's always their in the end ready to help bust us out when we need it.

Now I'll go back into hiding. Happy holidays, super friends!
    That's a pretty tough answer to beat - even if I will always go for Moses, rather than Jesus as the better analogue. But then, the personal connection is precisely what you're talking about, isn't it?

That said, I will say that though I will always have a soft spot for the Jurgens-era version of Superman and that I absolutely see All Star Superman as the definitive and best all-round take on the character, when I think Superman, I always think of Christopher Reeve. Everything in the way he plays Superman evokes all that is great about the Man of Steel: the humanity, the goodness, the optimism, the purely magical and, of course, that benevolent, utterly uncynical yet somehow sly sense of humour. All of the films he appeared in are undoubtedly flawed (though some rather more than others) but Reeves's take on Superman is both one of the all-time greatest movie performances and, very simply, a perfect encapsulation of one of our greatest modern myths/ fictional characters.

It's no surprise that he found it all but impossible to escape that role.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    1986-2008ish.
    Same here.

Talking about comparisons... This Was Your Life during Infinite Crisis was a very nice send-off for both modern Superman and Golden Age Superman, showing how similar and yet different both were, and what they would've done in each others' shoes. I love that story, for some reason.

If one day we have a similar story with New52, they should send in his polar opposite: Silver-Age Superman.

Boisterously Confused

By a large margin, Siegle and Schuster's original, anti-establishment, social crusader (I take that to be the same character displayed in Fleisher's cartoons). The runner up for me would be the Post-Crisis interpretation. I was enthused about the Nu52 interpretation of the character, but was disappointed when they only offered us about three issues of retro-Superman before moving on. I would have enjoyed a year or two of stories of that wild, vigilante from another planet.