Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    N7 Krypton Elite N7 Joseph Shepard's Avatar

I've been avoiding these issues because I just really REALLY dislike the art work. Decided to pick this one up (I've kept up with the storyline though through spoilers topics etc.).......what I took away from it was.....

1. Art work to me is still horrible

2.......holy shit......I did not expect Johns to do that lol, I think everyone is expecting him to have some big repair plot device that makes everything ok in the end. But for a really shock factor would be if they did nothing and wrote how Superman has to deal with what he's played a pretty big part in.....I don't particularly like it but still want to see how they have him deal with it.

Awesome issue. I'm really liking the direction Johns is taking the story.

Romita's art is take it or leave it. I love it b/c I'm a Spider-Man fan so I'm used to his style. But anyway good issue and I'm looking forward to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Guy finds himself back on home planet/dimension and makes friends, fights random villain, and seems happy but finds out the world is full of weapons and goes off to find a better solution. Offers 'peaceful' people a chance to live in paradise. But really, this whole time, he has just been planning on abducting and dumping 5 million people into some sort of furnace to power his home world. If there was not a rewrite along the way, then that is some horrible storytelling.
    Then in your opinion its just horrible storytelling, because I'm still seeing nothing that suggests rewrite. Hell, there was an entire thread here dedicated to the idea of whether or not he'd turn out to be a villain when he first showed up, so its not like it was something out of left field for readers that he ended up having ulterior motives.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Then in your opinion its just horrible storytelling, because I'm still seeing nothing that suggests rewrite. Hell, there was an entire thread here dedicated to the idea of whether or not he'd turn out to be a villain when he first showed up, so its not like it was something out of left field for readers that he ended up having ulterior motives.
    Sorry, but stranger with powers that parallel Superman shows up and people question whether he will turn out to be a villain? I am sure most people were speculating before reading a page of the comic so that does not really say much.

Although, it is not that he turned out to be villainous, but how. I am sure he was always meant to become the antagonist, I can believe it was even because of the exact reason at the end of this issue. I just don't believe that his plan was to kidnap millions of people. It just does not add up, especially with the scene where he finds out about all of the weapons the Earth has and the way he reacts.

Was it an ok arc. I think it was largely predictable and retreading a recent plot line namely Superman Unchained a bit. The 4th Dimension thing did intrigue... I was initially wondering if it was the 4th Dimension or Dimension Four. So, that set up Ulysses home as a dimension below Myxtlyplxy?

Not really Superman's fault. He was backed into a corner trying to save everyone and didn't have much time. It was Ulysses and his leaders fault for abducting five million earthings just to kill. Superman tried his best in a limited amount of time, but knowing Clark he will blame himself instead of Ulysses the true person at fault

I can't believe how many people like JRJR's art on this book. I like him, but this is the worst art i've seen him do in years.

supes37.jpg

I've liked the story so far, but it's not what i was expecting from Johns. The story has been a little predictable indeed.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by poroto678 View Post
    I can't believe how many people like JRJR's art on this book. I like him, but this is the worst art i've seen him do in years.

supes37.jpg

I've liked the story so far, but it's not what i was expecting from Johns. The story has been a little predictable indeed.
    Personally, i have seen worse.
    Much, MUCH worse...
    mj.jpg

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Keep it coming! I am loving this whole arc! Looking forward to issue 38!

Every Superman book right now is firing on all cylinders for me. Pak's running some really cool ideas out there right now in both Action and Batman/Superman. Superman/Wonder Woman has made a nice creative transition.

A little worried about Supergirl, and two years ago, it was the book I was most encouraged by.

it's a great time to be a super fan. Every book is excellent

BANNED

When can we expect a glimpse of the new costume?

Astonishing Member

In the steaming dark of nightmare.

Spectacular Member rhymeswithparc's Avatar

I'm really enjoying this storyline and this issue especially. I can't fault Johns for setting up the villain the way he did because I love the ideas that came out it; it was pretty obvious that Ulysses would turn at some point but, in between, Johns introduced the Machinist (who I think is pretty cool), the idea that Superman has so much trust by the people that others can and would exploit that, and fact that it was kinda Superman that led to the destruction of The Great World. I like Ulysses as a dark mirror to Superman and I like that Johns introduced him like that, twisted it, and brought it back to a much darker mirror. I wonder how people will react if/when they find out that their trust in Superman almost led to 6 million people dying. I also think that Johns is kinda echoing Zod a bit from the Man of Steel movie and wouldn't be surprised if next issue Ulysses takes aim at Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by N7 Joseph Shepard View Post
    2.......holy shit......I did not expect Johns to do that lol, I think everyone is expecting him to have some big repair plot device that makes everything ok in the end. But for a really shock factor would be if they did nothing and wrote how Superman has to deal with what he's played a pretty big part in.....I don't particularly like it but still want to see how they have him deal with it.
    Yep. And by "don't particularly like" - i mean it as "think Fate has been unfairly cruel to Kal".

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I thought the art was really on point this issue. The shot of the landscape on Ulysses home planet were really nice and I thought the colorist did a good on making it look inviting like you would want to live there. Like wise I thought the shot of the planet exploding was great as well, JR's blocky geometric style really works for depicting that sort of event. Also the scene where Ulysses tears freeze in space is something I would usually look past but it worked here for some reason.
    Yep. Quite a bit of this ish was improvement over previous installment.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    Not really Superman's fault. He was backed into a corner trying to save everyone and didn't have much time. It was Ulysses and his leaders fault for abducting five million earthings just to kill. Superman tried his best in a limited amount of time, but knowing Clark he will blame himself instead of Ulysses the true person at fault
    This Ulysses storyline has not been enticing at all. The decompression factor has just exacerbates my disinterest. But this was a surprisingly solid chapter and actually has me looking forward to seeing what happend in #38. It will be curious to see if your rationalization will sit well with Superman.

http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/...darwyn_var.jpg
    http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/...al/sm_37_1.jpg
    http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/...al/sm_37_2.jpg
    http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/...al/sm_37_3.jpg
    http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/...al/sm_37_4.jpg
    http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/...al/sm_37_5.jpg

I do get cranger´s point. The grieve Ulysses was feeling whent he believed he had murdered a man (which, in my opinion, was genuine) seems completely out of place when considering his intention to sacrifice six million people, mainly because this was not the first time he was doing something like that.

Nevertheless, I am liking very much the story, especially considering where this title is coming from.

I don´ see how what happened could be Superman´s fault in any way. He proposed the big plan (return the humans, convince the aliens, etc.) but it was Ulysses the one calling the shots when considering the effective implementation of the action plan; he was the one with the engineering knowledge, the planet exploded because Ulysse´s miscalculations. Only Ulysses could blame Superman for what happened, cause his unbearable guilt.

Another thing that seemed odd to me, is how quicky Superman recovers from being trapped under the effect of the kryptonite radiation. Granted it was only a replication, but still...

Not a fan of the art, but I can deal with it. Certainly this issue fitted Romita´s style like a glove.

And the cover was awesome.
    Last edited by Charlus; 12-31-2014 at 01:32 PM.