Super Moderator

Default "Bitch Planet" #1 and the Power of a Perfect First Issue

Kelly Thompson explains how Kelly Sue DeConnick and Valentine de Landro's "Bitch Planet" #1 nails being a perfect first issue.

Full article here.

I liked Bitch Planet but I thought Grindhouse: The Doors Open at Midnight's "Prison Ship Antares" did the whole women-in-prison-in-space thing so perfectly that it can't be topped. That whole series is just outrageous fun (it's on to vol. 2 now).
    Last edited by cgh; 12-24-2014 at 02:58 PM.

Just like any other thread on CBR, debate the position not the poster. If you don't think Bitch Planet #1 was great, fine, argue the point. Don't debate "Kelly Thompson."

BANNED

I loved the book..it used familiar instances to tell a new story. Loved the fresh take/

All-New Member

I’m not a believer. I read issue one and two and I didn’t find any characters to latch onto. I didn’t find a world to latch onto. And honestly I wasn’t seeing any aspect to the comic with a stand out twist or flavor. The dystopian society presented on the page isn’t very interesting. How is a female-oppressed dystopian society THAT much different than what has occurred in the past 100+ years? In comparison, Lazarus HAS a strong premise, that of family-based corporate style of feudalism. The book seems to be getting a lot of quotes/headlines/chatter about its “feminist” perspective but there really isn’t much perspective at all. Compare Bitch Planet’s society and world building to something like Y the Last Man’s female dominated post-apocalyptic society and there’s no contest. Bitch Planet seems to be building towards a roller ball/running man gameshow type story and hasn’t reach the games’ unveiling (if there is a “game”). So maybe it’ll build towards something special, but it was a waste of 2 comic books for me. Great covers, though, and the treadmill scene in #2 was fun.