• 2 - OK / MEH

25 22.94%
  • 1 - BAD

23 21.10%
  • 0 - HORRIBLE

39 35.78%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rate Axis

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by evangelionofasgard View Post
    Just Read the Last Issue, it was easily the best of the series, by far, the sabretooth monologue at the end was genuinely touching, got me even more interesting to see what he is up to in uncanny avengers.
    That isn't Sabertooth though.

It's Inverted Sabertooth. The real Sabertooth would never think such things.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I rated it as bad. This whole event was completely meaningless, besides the whole he ain't the daddy issue. It seems that was the reason this debacle was turned into a event.What makes this event far worse than others is to cover-up lazy writing and plotting the writer even had a complete B.S. excuse to write everyone out of character and somehow still that was executed lazy. The last issue felt rushed and seemed like the writer just wanted to get this mess he created over with. The worst part to me about this is very few of the heroes will deal with the repercussions of this story. The Avengers get their usual get off the hook for everything card, as a matter of fact the entire Marvel 616 has to play completely dumb and either just "go with it" or pretend none of this crap ever happened.LOL.

Having said that if i was a Marvel Employee or a mindless Marvel Zombie i would rate it as ok. Another event is always good events sell. This is a event and most current Marvel events have editorial goals.Telling a story or any of that garbage is secondary achieving the editorial mandate is the primary directive, Magneto(allegedly) not the daddy mission accomplished.Marvel should have made variant drowned in Hobo piss covers. That would have been awesome.

While I understand that some few people liked it I do not feel as if I am commenting too far when I say AXIS left a bad taste in the mouths of most fans and perhaps X fans in particular. To me it was a last straw so to speak as I bought into AXIS based on hype and found myself confronted with a bad soap opera built on a few character spots and drama expositions as an excuse not to resolve anything in what was supposed to be a sweeping or epic comic book story of action and adventure where those actions mattered. It all meant exactly kitty crap.

DC hasn't done any better with events as of late. Right now as a result I would rent a DC animated film or Marvel theatrical release. They are doing well there. But I am very disenchanted with their lines of comic books (what used to be their bread and butter until they got too big for those britches as summer film goers pay out more.) So I went looking for people still in the business of making good comics rather than hyping the next summer film.

That's the only way you will see change. Buy something else if you want to ever see your beloved characters treated respectfully by the medium again. I will not buy into the big two hype or events unless I read reviews from fans here on the boards saying it is actually worth it. Life and comic dollars are simply too precious to waste on travesty and mediocrity when there are so many good independents out there making great comics that are over looked in the face of cross media hype.

So what did I find? I found Valiant. You know? CBR's top rated comic book publisher for QUALITY comics this year beating out both Marvel and DC in CBR's own site poll yet suspiciously left out of the top 100 comics award this year... maybe because they don't have enough money to toss around for ads?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ults&msg=voted

In particular, I would point you to Harbinger Wars, the collected edition as the perfect entry point. Its a cross comic event that reads better than most modern military thrillers show on screen, tells a complete story that will still hook you into an ongoing saga, presents great art, characters, and dialogue that all mattered by the end. Put it side by side and read AXIS and if you are like me there will be no comparison as what the better event was showing you who is making good comics and who is just trying to hype characters for a film some day because they don't think you as a reader really matter next to the film tickets.

Are you one of those people whining over the presentation of women in comics? Half the posts on CBR seem to be about this. You really want to see change rather than just be negative in the forums? Fine, then reward genuine and positive portrayals of women in comics. Go pick up the first Unity collection and read about Live Wire. One of the best presentations of a black, female, superhero in comics with little competition. It's more than power. She isn't the most powerful of super humans. She is incredibly smart, attractive, and very ethical on a fundamental level while still being tough.

In spite of dealing with tough choices she never reads as crap stained like so many of Marvel's current roster or forced on us like DC. Her ethics lead her to go against the man who raised her, Toyo Harada, some one she loved like a father, to save a lot of innocent lives at high personal cost and risk. Then she returned an immensely powerful item to the man she took it from because it was the right thing to do in spite of what it meant for her. They actually showed her being a hero and me this anachronistic throw back loved and admired her as a result.

They didn't put a bitchy murderess that mind controls tots she doesn't like as rape toys for her associates in panties for a uniform, give her the personality of a Vegas show girl or playboy pet, then tag fake accomplishments like business empire on her to con people into accepting a shallow pan as a legit role model. They showed her as a hero instead with the costs that came with it.

I haven't even mentioned the cool of Doc Mirage.

So what's your excuse? Going to continue being beat with bad comics and screaming negative this and that on the forums? Or will you do like me and others, go buy the good stuff so many indies are putting out and remember what its like to have a book you can comment thoughtfully and positively on so that the big two have to acknowledge that they need to change... And you can be happy with comics again too.

The horror of AXIS, my revolution...
    Last edited by Inhuman X; 12-31-2014 at 10:15 PM.

I gave AXIS a generous 3 out of 5.
    It was a good concept, especially the inversions - which was an idea that had hooked from the start.
    But I felt it didn't live up to it's potential.
    In fact if not for the AXIS Revolutions books and other tie-ins a lot of the inversions would have just been a generic - oh look the heroes went evil.
    Which wasn't the meaty personality reversals I signed up for.

Despite that I still enjoyed the story overall.
    And would have happily read more stories involving the inverted heroes and villains.

Characterisation and dialog was off quite a bit for the heroes when uninverted.
    In fact the banter in the first few issues was truly awful and really really damaged the story.
    But it got better and much more believable in later issues.

Mostly solid art throughout, but the hodgepodge of artists sometimes took away from the story for me.

Best Bits
    I loved Inverted Falcon Cap's dialog for some reason, it was amusingly over the top.
    AXIS Revolutions Inverted Nightcrawler vs Inverted Sabretooth story - love seeing Kurt cut loose.
    The X-Men united.
    Leaving Iron Man, Sabretooth and Havok inverted - can't wait to see more from them.
    The Loki and Doom dialogue before their inversion.

Worst Bits
    Emo Hulk - I get what they were going for, but it just came across as a petulant child smashing toys for attention.
    The reveal that Magneto wasn't Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver's father - I'm curious where the story goes, but I feel it's a story at the expense of a great family dynamic.
    Trying to catch up on 2 years of Marvel comics.....
    Comic Book Parody - Funny comic book stuff.
    X-Men: Drama of the Atom - An unfinished Battle of the Atom parody.

Horrible, the worst event I've read. Just downright terrible.