Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Then there are the completists who want to collect every single issue.
    I think that's the main problem. We need more of a "read what you like or might like" mentality and less of a "read it because you've always read it" mentality. I'm much happier with my comics this way. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Za Is No Leader View Post
    I think that's the main problem. We need more of a "read what you like or might like" mentality and less of a "read it because you've always read it" mentality. I'm much happier with my comics this way. lol.
    Perhaps it's because I have a differently nuanced definition of "completionist," but I'm not sure this impulse is necessarily a bad thing for comics. As I use the term, a "completionist" is a reader who makes a concerted effort to read every installment of a given comics plot, usually but not always isolated within a series. They begin with issue #1 (or #0, as the publisher designates) and continues successively until it either ends or they drop the series entirely. It's probably unproductive (and, on the whole, unenjoyable) if it genuinely is a "read it because you've always read it" compulsion of habit or misguided loyalty to a certain character/series. However, I appreciate stories that more or less demand that they be kept up with every issue. I appreciate the long vision of a series, one visible (in part, of course) from the opening issue of a run all the way through, and if well written, I think that kind of storytelling rewards completionist readers. All of this is simply not at all the way comics circulated a few decades ago, when the single issue was the most important structural division, comics circulated largely as ephemera, and there was little incentive to read all of a series or even to read them in order.

I think a useful analogy is the shifts in storytelling styles of scripted television. Once—before TV-on-DVD, DVR, and streaming services became nearly ubiquitous—there was little call to watch every episode of a show comprehensively. Shows worked more or less out of order, in syndication, and in fragments. The episode was the most important storytelling unit, and shows allowed new viewers, who didn't have easy access to previously aired episodes, to come in at later stages and seasons or to drop in and out as they pleased. For many shows, that makes no sense now. Watching The Sopranos in pieces or out of order would significantly undercut the quality of the show. Watching Lost out of order would be futile.

In either case—comics or scripted television—it makes sense to start a series, decide you don't like it, and quit. But it makes little sense for many of them to start in the middle, skip issues/episodes along the way, or read/watch them sporadically out of order. If you can, it means each installment is likely either redundant (like soap operas, which are constantly catching viewers up on recent events even as they plod them forward) or un-comprehensive, building little if at all on earlier action. Either way, not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by harpier View Post
    Perhaps it's because I have a differently nuanced definition of "completionist," but I'm not sure this impulse is necessarily a bad thing for comics. As I use the term, a "completionist" is a reader who makes a concerted effort to read every installment of a given comics plot, usually but not always isolated within a series. They begin with issue #1 (or #0, as the publisher designates) and continues successively until it either ends or they drop the series entirely. It's probably unproductive (and, on the whole, unenjoyable) if it genuinely is a "read it because you've always read it" compulsion of habit or misguided loyalty to a certain character/series. However, I appreciate stories that more or less demand that they be kept up with every issue. I appreciate the long vision of a series, one visible (in part, of course) from the opening issue of a run all the way through, and if well written, I think that kind of storytelling rewards completionist readers. All of this is simply not at all the way comics circulated a few decades ago, when the single issue was the most important structural division, comics circulated largely as ephemera, and there was little incentive to read all of a series or even to read them in order.

I think a useful analogy is the shifts in storytelling styles of scripted television. Once—before TV-on-DVD, DVR, and streaming services became nearly ubiquitous—there was little call to watch every episode of a show comprehensively. Shows worked more or less out of order, in syndication, and in fragments. The episode was the most important storytelling unit, and shows allowed new viewers, who didn't have easy access to previously aired episodes, to come in at later stages and seasons or to drop in and out as they pleased. For many shows, that makes no sense now. Watching The Sopranos in pieces or out of order would significantly undercut the quality of the show. Watching Lost out of order would be futile.

In either case—comics or scripted television—it makes sense to start a series, decide you don't like it, and quit. But it makes little sense for many of them to start in the middle, skip issues/episodes along the way, or read/watch them sporadically out of order. If you can, it means each installment is likely either redundant (like soap operas, which are constantly catching viewers up on recent events even as they plod them forward) or un-comprehensive, building little if at all on earlier action. Either way, not for me.
    I'm speaking more along the lines of "I like character X, so I will read everything with character X regardless if I enjoy it." I've encountered many who, for example, don't like what Slott is doing on ASM, yet they continue to buy it month in and month out. When I ask "Why don't you just stop buying it?" they respond in kind with, "Well, because I'm a Spider-Man fan." These are people who have been reading the title for over 2 years and have nothing good to say about it. The people who have the gall to proclaim "They need to fire Slott or just cancel this book." yet they show support by purchasing it. It's that mentality that is so absurd to me. If you are no longer enjoying something, don't read it anymore. You'll save a lot of money and headaches.

I read comics to be entertained and because I enjoy the medium. If a book makes you feel miserable because it even exists, just put it down. Simple really.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    What's so nasty about it?
    Elektra's story.
    I mean; damn, I love how he made her in his original run, then he makes that stupid retcon to his good work.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Stuck in Purgatory

The start of this thread is feeling a little like a Religious Cult in it's gestation, except with shades of Oprah. Do YOU like comics? YES! GOOD! Do YOU want to buy comics? YES! GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by MonicaMunster View Post
    The start of this thread is feeling a little like a Religious Cult in it's gestation, except with shades of Oprah. Do YOU like comics? YES! GOOD! Do YOU want to buy comics? YES! GOOD!
    It was more of a counter to threads bitching and complaining about comics, a reaction in general towards the kind of negativity that so often occurs in fandoms of various kinds, and a burst of positive energy I had after a recent comics shopping trip.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    It was more of a counter to threads bitching and complaining about comics, a reaction in general towards the kind of negativity that so often occurs in fandoms of various kinds, and a burst of positive energy I had after a recent comics shopping trip.
    But, but ... I already shaved my head and bought a jumpsuit. Awwww.

I think it is nice that the TS thinks of positive things for comics.
    There are too many threads which focus on the negative side of comics.

Extraordinary Member

Trust me guys!
    Its taking ALOT to stop me from spending all my wages on comics. Such is the superb nature.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I am glad I have two series I absolute love right now. There are a lot of inventive things going on and I have to give props to the smaller companies for taking a lot of risks.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Warp Spasm View Post
    I am glad I have two series I absolute love right now. There are a lot of inventive things going on and I have to give props to the smaller companies for taking a lot of risks.
    Well, don't keep us in suspense: Which series?
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Trust me guys!
    Its taking ALOT to stop me from spending all my wages on comics. Such is the superb nature.
    Weren't you going to quit comics a while back? Glad you changed your mind! Comics are awesome!

007 girl.

I got my Star Wars#1 copies...with 35 or so covers to choose from I picked the Campbell 50:1 and Alex Ross 50:1 covers.

I love comics so much I sometimes get the variants too if they're appealing. But 35 is honestly too much
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Weren't you going to quit comics a while back? Glad you changed your mind! Comics are awesome!
    Yup!
    Fast forward to the present.
    I'm buying at least two TPBS a fortnight.
    The passions back.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate jezebel View Post
    I got my Star Wars#1 copies...with 35 or so covers to choose from I picked the Campbell 50:1 and Alex Ross 50:1 covers.

I love comics so much I sometimes get the variants too if they're appealing. But 35 is honestly too much
    There were close to 70 with all the exclusives. I really want the Paul Renaud cover. It was exclusive to Hot Topic stores and they had an ad for Avengers: Age of Ultron that included a movie spoiler. Marvel made them recall the unsold books and pulp them. A new printing is supposed to come out soon and it's only $3.99US. First prints are going for $300 on eBay. I just want it because it's an amazing piece of artwork. Probably my second-favorite cover behind the Alex Ross recreation of Marvel's original Star Wars #1.

Last edited by Don C; 01-31-2015 at 02:59 PM.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.