Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Astro City is proof that Kurt Busiek loves us and wants us to be happy.
    I'm going to tweet that @ him. I think he'll get a kick out of it.

Unless you would prefer to.

Too late, I done did it. I gave you credit, but.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    And I got a kick out of it, too.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Lightbulb Strength Potion

If you think about it, the comic book community offers readers a way to sentimentalize peacefully a social hyper-curiosity about 'risk deification.' Comic book heroes such as Daredevil and Wonder Woman personify the human will to celebrate resilience in the face of natural risk (i.e., frailty, calamity, terror, death, etc.).

I was thinking the other day that the vast array of computer networks out there should create science-fiction stories about "mechanized telepathy," or, if you like, a 'computerized version of telekinesis.' After all, these days people can transfer data files at lightning speeds across great spaces at the touch of a computer button. These computers are therefore 'talking' very sophisticatedly to each other, almost as if they are somehow 'mentally' connected. Certainly, the comic book super-villain Video-Man (Marvel Comics), a freakish mutant who can travel through electric wires and disrupt computing networks like a virus, speaks to this new age fascination and imagination. So if we can fantasize about boring computers, why not fantasize about muscle (i.e., Superman, Hulk, etc.)?

So why not celebrate comic book communities as modern era social symbols of strength festivity?

Silver Surfer

album.jpg

How good are comics these days?
    [snip]
    Apart from not having enough money to afford everything (or time to read it all even if you could), what on earth is there to complain about? Comics are AWESOME!
    Totally. No matter what you like or how you like it, if it's comics than that is comics. Be it now or back whenever, open a book you like and chances are you'd be right back at it.

I personally don't really care what brand of publisher anything is, but I reckon' that stuff like a comic or book is there to be enjoyed if it can be. And it can be.

Don't merely endorse just for the sake of it, don't represent a lifestyle or whatever hobby to pursue, or only as long as you do so with enjoying it.

If a comic or thing is there to be enjoyed for what it is, then don't wait 'till it's a hit, don't wait for the movie and don't wait for purchasing the latest t-shirt first.

Just enjoy what you can of comics for whatever that would be.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Astro City is proof that Kurt Busiek loves us and wants us to be happy.
    Check out Autumnlands : Tooth & Claw

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post

kdb
    I'm very glad, and I hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

BANNED

Double-shipping, weekly shipping, and TPB's being released when the last issue of an arc wraps - comics are on-demand faster than ever! I can get this variety as fast as I can whip out my wallet. lol

Old material is being collected and that includes rare and hard to find stuff as well. Over-sized collections of important events are being collected like in Marvel's Adamantium collections. Epic Collections, Essentials, and OGN's are must-haves in today's day and age.

So, many different stories are being written and has an audience it just needs to find.

I'm still spending a lot on comics, so it's clear that I have LOTS to love about comics and in a sense, I feel like I'm only beginning even though I've been reading for 30+ years. Scary thought, really. lol

Not only do you have more great material coming out than you can shake a pull-list at, but there's more and more classic comics being made available again. From comic strip reprints from the 1930s, to the great stories we grew up reading in the 70s and 80s, You could line every room in your house with shelves and still not have enough room for it all!
    I actually think this is probably the greatest legacy the 90s left comics. In addition to the popularization of the collected TPB, the otherwise catastrophic collecting boom seemed to encourage publishers to think of their comics as something other than just ephemera. It's like they suddenly realized the value of their catalogs.

I also think that the advent of the DVD era has popularized the idea of the value of "extras," leading many publishers to cultivate essays, additional artwork, commentary, and other related material for their collected releases. Like DVDs, the quality is highly variable, but some of it's really stellar.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I am really loving comics at the moment. Marvel are producing some top books (Thor, New Avengers, GotG 3000, Silver Surfer etc) and are more diverse than ever. Image are arguably producing better (TWD, Saga, East of West, Low etc) books and I'm even buying a Boom! Book as well.

I really love awesome and wide-ranging styles of art we have too. Ribic, Allred, Fiona Staples, Tradd Moore, Opena, Skottie Young, Samnee etc. The variety is immense.

I've only been reading for about 10 years but as other have mentioned we are living in a golden age of collected editions. This year I have bought Miller's Daredevil Omnibus, Michelinie's Spider-Man Omnibus and next year I'll be picking up Busiek's Avengers run. Probably not something I would have done if I had to look for singles or probably even trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    This year I have bought Miller's Daredevil Omnibus
    Does that include Daredevil: Born Again? Because you need that to live.

Michelinie's Spider-Man Omnibus
    You should get onto the Roger Stern one as well, if you can find a copy. I don't have it yet, but I bought many of the issues fresh off the shelf when I was a young 'un. Great run.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Does that include Daredevil: Born Again? Because you need that to live.

You should get onto the Roger Stern one as well, if you can find a copy. I don't have it yet, but I bought many of the issues fresh off the shelf when I was a young 'un. Great run.
    Unfortunately, Born Again is in the Omnibus Companion which is out of print. I gonna hold of for a couple of years to see if it gets reprinted but I could always pick the issues up on Comixology. Comixology, another reason comics are so awesome.

I'm not too sure about the Stern Spidey Omnibus. It's pretty pricey and I'm not 100% convinced I'd like it.

Unfortunately, Born Again is in the Omnibus Companion which is out of print. I gonna hold of for a couple of years to see if it gets reprinted but I could always pick the issues up on Comixology. Comixology, another reason comics are so awesome.
    You can get Born Again in tpb for a reasonable price. I don't think the track record for Omnibuses (Omnibii?) being reprinted is that great.

I'm not too sure about the Stern Spidey Omnibus. It's pretty pricey and I'm not 100% convinced I'd like it.
    Fair enough.

I'm going to tweet that @ him. I think he'll get a kick out of it.

Unless you would prefer to.
    No problem at all. I just hope he...

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post

kdb
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

I'm going to be perfectly honest with you guys right now.

Comics were the only thing that kept me sane during the Fall semester this year of school.

No, seriously.

It's been a really rough year on a lot of levels and I finally got into comics earlier this Summer on my break from school. This past semester that just wrapped up, the only thing that kept me going through the week was looking forward to stopping by my LCS every Wednesday to pick up my new stack of comics to read and enjoy. It sounds silly, but Wednesdays got me through the week and comics have been a great source of escape and joy for me this year.

So yes, I would say I love comics My only regret is I didn't do this sooner.

You can get Born Again in tpb for a reasonable price. I don't think the track record for Omnibuses (Omnibii?) being reprinted is that great.
    Yeah, Born Again is in TPB form. I picked it up not that long ago! Still need to read it, though. I have a HUGE back-log of things to read and I know I'm a terrible person for not having read it yet. I've been saving it...
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender