Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by quinnzel View Post
    I'm going to be perfectly honest with you guys right now.

Comics were the only thing that kept me sane during the Fall semester this year of school.

No, seriously.

It's been a really rough year on a lot of levels and I finally got into comics earlier this Summer on my break from school. This past semester that just wrapped up, the only thing that kept me going through the week was looking forward to stopping by my LCS every Wednesday to pick up my new stack of comics to read and enjoy. It sounds silly, but Wednesdays got me through the week and comics have been a great source of escape and joy for me this year.

So yes, I would say I love comics My only regret is I didn't do this sooner.
    Better late than never. Welcome to the wonderful world of comics!

Quote Originally Posted by quinnzel View Post
    Yeah, Born Again is in TPB form. I picked it up not that long ago! Still need to read it, though. I have a HUGE back-log of things to read and I know I'm a terrible person for not having read it yet. I've been saving it...
    Go read it now. Do as you're told. Go.

Lightbulb Populism Drawings

When the NYC graffiti artist Jean-Michel Basquiat was celebrated in the art world in the 1980s, people took real notice of a modern age trend of pop art marketing.

Comic books speak to a general populist interest in lifestyle ornamentation, vigilantism inquisition, and pop art drawings (and dialogue).

Comic books are collections of drawings on paper meant to represent (and re-present) street talk interests and populist concerns. Perhaps it was the folklore of Robin Hood that preceded the popular American comic book. Perhaps its was the intricate Ancient Egyptian hieroglyph drawings that preceded the American comic book.

Today's mass marketing of comic book adapted Hollywood (USA) movies reveal a modern social interest in celebrating 'figurine art.'

Toy Soldiers (1991 Film)

Fantastic Member wickedmountain's Avatar

Comics are fun and awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Does that include Daredevil: Born Again? Because you need that to live.
    Also, 'Daredevil: Man Without Fear'. That's some damn tasty comics.

Seriously, there is so much to love about comics these days.
    1. The breaking of the 'big two' duopoly with Dark Horse, Image, Boom!, IDW and others shows that lots of people LOVE comics and WANT to read them, not just the target audience for mainstream superhero titles (which I love, but, like icecream, I don't want it for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day).
    2. A great diversity in genres and target audiences.
    3. Never before has so much archival material been so readily available in the form of trade paperback and hardcover collections. I'm really enjoying the fact that I can read Hugo Pratt's 'Corto Maltese' in gloriously presented oversize tpb form, for instance.

In fact, my only complaint is that I keep hearing about awesome new series which sound amazingly fun, but which I simply can't afford! There's Too Much Awesome stuff out there that's just ridiculously fun to read... and as far as problems go, if that's the worst one I have, then I'm prepared to deal with it.
    "Loudly proclaiming that you are above childish things isn't a sign of maturity - it's proof of adolescence." - Schnitzy Pretzelpants

Co-host of The 'Mike & Pól Save The Universe' Comics podcast - check it out on www.mikeandpol.com

Lightbulb A Fun Political Cartoon

When political cartoonist Thomas Nast published a variety of social critique caricatures in the 1800s, people took formal notice of a public demand for 'sociology colloquialization.'

This development in cultural history preceded the popularity of relevant American television shows such as "Law and Order" (A&E) and "Gotham" (Fox TV).

The American comic book is a form of political cartoon (speaking to urbanization-paranoia related vigilantism talk) or populism-friendly 'colloquialized art' (speaking to populism-related art marketing).

We can liberally reference a politics-oriented comic book avatar such as Poison Ivy (DC Comics), a scientist-turned-radical eco-terrorist, in modern age discussions about 'art branching.'

I...guess we could...

Comics are wonderful on so many levels. The best part is that when I don't like something anymore, I can stop reading it and instead buy something else I might enjoy. You can have fun and read cool books anytime you want from hundreds of publishers. There's something for everyone. It's better than ever though because of how much old school work is now seeing print again. Things that you couldn't get a hold of, are now cropping up everywhere. Comics are just plain ol' fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Za Is No Leader View Post
    Comics are wonderful on so many levels. The best part is that when I don't like something anymore, I can stop reading it and instead buy something else I might enjoy.
    I know, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pól Rua View Post
    Also, 'Daredevil: Man Without Fear'. That's some damn tasty comics.
    Replace the first 't' with an 'n' and you have what I think of that series.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Replace the first 't' with an 'n' and you have what I think of that series.
    What's so nasty about it?
    BB

I know, right?
    I feel like man of the more negative folk tend to overlook that.

Quote Originally Posted by Za Is No Leader View Post
    I feel like man of the more negative folk tend to overlook that.
    It is something that often baffles me.

That's because many have been conditioned by the Big Two to think that "comics=superheroes" and "superheroes=Marvel and DC".

Then there are the completists who want to collect every single issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Then there are the completists who want to collect every single issue.
    *slowly raises hand in shame*

Hey, off-topic, great new avatar Spike!