Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

I think someone could dress in revealing clothing while still having a pleasant personality, because believing otherwise would qualify as slut-shaming, which… no. Similarly, just because they're a model doesn't mean they're suddenly arrogant enough to believe that some guy - or another woman - would be "beneath" them.

Quote Originally Posted by DCCoolness View Post
    I know this is a world where mutants and aliens run around, but I want to know if women like MJ could exist in the real life? Could you have a wife who dresses in skimpy outfits and have a heart of gold? What about the idea of a super model/actress living in a regular apartment with an average guy (ignoring the spider-man persona)?
    I don't recall MJ dressing in skimpy clothing outside the comfort of her home. We're not talking Emma Frost here.

The choice of what someone wears doesn't affect who they are in the slightest. I've met many beautiful people who are beautiful on the inside as well, horrible people who are conservative dressers and kind people who like to show flesh. Like Peter, she dresses up in a costume when she's out on her job and most of the time she doesn't always dress skimpily for the sake of showing flesh. Mary Jane was the girl next door with something more.

And with Peter, I've always found the situations he finds himself in relatable, but the main thing about him even though he is perceived as an average guy, there's something special about him. He's intelligent (but a slacker), reasonably attractive and humorous (in a weird way) and is a genuinely good person. Hell, without being Spider-Man he's an even more standout guy. He's average in success, but he has the potential to be brilliant. Someone who takes the time to get to know him, i.e Mary Jane, would see how good he could be, even if he hasn't made good on his potential.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I never had any problem believing that she loved Peter and vice-versa so yes I thought she was realistic as a wife. And plenty of beautiful women marry ''average joe''.

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DCCoolness View Post
    I know this is a world where mutants and aliens run around, but I want to know if women like MJ could exist in the real life? Could you have a wife who dresses in skimpy outfits and have a heart of gold? What about the idea of a super model/actress living in a regular apartment with an average guy (ignoring the spider-man persona)?
    You're right. Super models and/or actresses never marry an average looking guy.

eo5oq.jpg
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

I never really considered MJ a "super"model. Just a working model and actress. Her biggest gig was on a soap opera, for heaven's sake (quick, name any currently working soap actress). And living in New York, I can tell you there are plenty of those who make an average wage, live an average lifestyle, and marry an average guy.

To go off on a tangent, I think it would be fun to do a story where MJ tries to start a models' union in NYC, because lord knows they could use one. The abuses that go on in the industry are frankly horrifying.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

And another thing... One thing I liked about their relationship was that she was cooler than he was, and she didn't really care, but he sorta did. So he got nervous at parties with her friends, and hung out in the Avengers' kitchen with Aunt May and Jarvis while she schooled Captain America on the finer points of basketball. A very nebbish, Peter thing to do.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

BANNED

Mj would be the most badass female in the marvel universe is she was super powered and meta human as a super hero, even more so than gamora and x23.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    I never really considered MJ a "super"model. Just a working model and actress. Her biggest gig was on a soap opera, for heaven's sake (quick, name any currently working soap actress). And living in New York, I can tell you there are plenty of those who make an average wage, live an average lifestyle, and marry an average guy.

To go off on a tangent, I think it would be fun to do a story where MJ tries to start a models' union in NYC, because lord knows they could use one. The abuses that go on in the industry are frankly horrifying.
    MJ did go on to get bigger gigs later. She was a more prominent supermodel during the Byrne/ Mackie relaunch. She then went to Hollywood, and was in a superhero blockbuster film, even if it was as the girlfriend who got killed in the first act.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Peter has been canonically attractive ever since Romita Sr. came on board ASM. Even Stan has admitted that, owing it to Pete finally coming out of the adolescent Ditko phase. MJ as a girlfriend is far less ridiculous than Black Cat, which as the article writer claims isn't even a thing, and super gorgeous and perfectly girlie science nerd Gwen Stacy.

Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    You're right. Super models and/or actresses never marry an average looking guy.

eo5oq.jpg
    Technically, DCCoolness wasn't talking about average appearance. Christina Hendricks is married to a fellow actor.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Technically, DCCoolness wasn't talking about average appearance. Christina Hendricks is married to a fellow actor.
    This is what DCCoolness said,

"Could you have a wife who dresses in skimpy outfits and have a heart of gold? What about the idea of a super model/actress living in a regular apartment with an average guy (ignoring the spider-man persona)?"

I looked at this as DC saying "there is no way a super model and/or actress would be with an average looking guy". I'm saying that happens more often than people think. Not everyone is shallow.

It's more than likely that Christina Hendricks married a fellow actor because they're both in the same business and they meet at a acting job or some type of gathering. I don't think her husband being an actor or "Hollywood good looking" matters to her. She loves him for who he is. Why else would she be married to him?

Same thing with MJ. She married Peter for what he is and loves him for that.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

BANNED

Also, he said "ignoring the Spider-Man persona", so Peter's fame - which MJ would be aware of - would be a part of who Peter is as far as she would be concerned. However, his career is not a factor in their relationship. If we're talking about looks alone, then that's where Peter is "average".

Peter draws the same kind of attention as MJ does in a crowd. Its just - he does it as his alter-ego. Both MJ and Peter live double lives. MJ in the sense that she hides her feelings through the party girl act and Peter in that he is Spider-Man. I have no problem seeing how they relate to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Also, he said "ignoring the Spider-Man persona", so Peter's fame - which MJ would be aware of - would be a part of who Peter is as far as she would be concerned. However, his career is not a factor in their relationship. If we're talking about looks alone, then that's where Peter is "average".
    Looks aren't really the issue. Peter's generally been depicted as a good-looking guy. His romantic interests (Black Cat, Gwen Stacy) tend to be bombshells. Peter's background is atypical of that the usual celebrity husband.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets