Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Also, he said "ignoring the Spider-Man persona", so Peter's fame - which MJ would be aware of - would be a part of who Peter is as far as she would be concerned. However, his career is not a factor in their relationship. If we're talking about looks alone, then that's where Peter is "average".
    RE:"ignoring the Spider-Man persona". That's what I did. It seems DC is asking would MJ date/marry Peter if he was "average" (not a superhero). In my eyes the answer is still "yes".
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Looks aren't really the issue. Peter's generally been depicted as a good-looking guy. His romantic interests (Black Cat, Gwen Stacy) tend to be bombshells. Peter's background is atypical of that the usual celebrity husband.
    Except we're saying that it isn't, and that Peter's background doesn't matter when it comes to his being married to an actress. As you pointed out, Black Cat and Gwen are "bombshells", while Mary Jane alone gets flack because she actually has a career based around her looks.

Except we're saying that it isn't, and that Peter's background doesn't matter when it comes to his being married to an actress. As you pointed out, Black Cat and Gwen are "bombshells", while Mary Jane alone gets flack because she actually has a career based around her looks.
    Peter's background is atypical of the husbands of celebrities. If you look up a list of famous beautiful women with semi-random backgrounds (IE- Maxim's Top Ten), the majority are going to be married to celebrities (actors, musicians, male models and sports stars) or to wealthy and prominent businessmen.

There are exceptions, which is one reason I'm not moved by the argument that a girl as well known as MJ wouldn't marry a guy like Peter.

There are other reasons not to give the character a famous girlfriend/ wife, although it's more because of what works for the story, rather than what the characters would do in the right circumstances.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Why is it so important that Peter's background is a factor in this?

If you're looking more at the story than what the characters would do in a given situation, then you're not giving any regards to who the characters are. Why should we care about the characters in the story if the story itself doesn't care who it's about?

Why is it so important that Peter's background is a factor in this?

If you're looking more at the story than what the characters would do in a given situation, then you're not giving any regards to who the characters are. Why should we care about the characters in the story if the story itself doesn't care who it's about?
    My point on background (although it's more about where Peter is presently than where he came from) is that it's more important than looks in a discussion about whether he's the right fit for MJ.

As for story VS character, both are necessary. There are things that characters could do in the right situation that wouldn't make for a particularly compelling status quo. And the writer has to avoid those situations.

It would be in-character for Peter to quit being Spider-Man, and to find a way to do good that isn't visually exciting. It wouldn't make for a great comic book series.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

My point on background (although it's more about where Peter is presently than where he came from) is that it's more important than looks in a discussion about whether he's the right fit for MJ.

As for story VS character, both are necessary. There are things that characters could do in the right situation that wouldn't make for a particularly compelling status quo. And the writer has to avoid those situations.

It would be in-character for Peter to quit being Spider-Man, and to find a way to do good that isn't visually exciting. It wouldn't make for a great comic book series.
    Stan Lee created Spider-Man and Mary Jane, and Stan Lee approves of them in a romantic relationship.

I think anything that anyone else says is irrelevant.

BANNED

It wouldn't make for a great comic book series.
    In your opinion.

ASM #50 was such a crappy issue. making Peter quit being Spider-Man was a huge mistake by those hacks Lee and Romita!

BANNED

You just answered my question with the question itself. Why is his background important to whether or not he's the right fit for MJ?

What could the character do that wouldn't make for a compelling scenario? How do their backgrounds and their careers compel them to make decisions that result in an uninteresting narrative? I agree that Peter would find a reason to quit being Spider-Man, but how would that happen in the situations you're bringing up?

Astonishing Member

Peter's background is atypical of the husbands of celebrities. If you look up a list of famous beautiful women with semi-random backgrounds (IE- Maxim's Top Ten), the majority are going to be married to celebrities (actors, musicians, male models and sports stars) or to wealthy and prominent businessmen.

There are exceptions, which is one reason I'm not moved by the argument that a girl as well known as MJ wouldn't marry a guy like Peter.

There are other reasons not to give the character a famous girlfriend/ wife, although it's more because of what works for the story, rather than what the characters would do in the right circumstances.
    Yet, Dan Slott argued that Betty Brant or Jennifer Walters(human persona) would not be a good fit for Peter Parker despite both of them are career oriented ladies.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 01-07-2015 at 11:16 AM.

BANNED

That's a good point, Darthfury. Slott disagrees with suggestions for people like Betty and Jennifer, so if that problem exists (Which it doesn't), then why act like it's unique to Mary Jane?

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    In your opinion.
    i think it's fair to say the number of people willing to buy a comic about a retired super hero would be significantly lower.

That's a good point, Darthfury. Slott disagrees with suggestions for people like Betty and Jennifer, so if that problem exists (Which it doesn't), then why act like it's unique to Mary Jane?
    “career orientated” is broad. it can apply differently to a lawyer than to an actress. in my experience, female corporate types or professionals tend to prefer (or settle with) partners in similar fields with similar ambitions for long term relationships while women in the arts tend to be a little more open to all types.

it also depends on what kind of model mj is. i didn’t pay much attention when i was kid, but if she’s more of an indie level model, she’ll be very open to (and possibly prefer) the geeky guys. i know plenty of these sorts of relationships in my friend circle. your victoria secret types or fashion run way models maybe less so, they tend to keep it in the industry (or the highly successful circles they move in). your catalogue and men’s car magazine models are pretty much just “average gals”.

this is all completely anecdotal and personal experience, so take with a grain of salt. there’ll always be exceptions. one thing i will say though, is that at the higher levels of success in the modelling industry, the opportunity (and the pressure) to cheat or find new partners is quite high. long-term relationships don’t tend to form until later in life, almost never during the prime of their careers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i think it's fair to say the number of people willing to buy a comic about a retired super hero would be significantly lower.
    In a story you need to read to believe, Peter Parker wakes up late only to realize he's retired! So he goes back to sleep, all the while muttering that he'll totally wake up in an hour to fix the dishwasher today.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    In a story you need to read to believe, Peter Parker wakes up late only to realize he's retired! So he goes back to sleep, all the while muttering that he'll totally wake up in an hour to fix the dishwasher today.
    i’ll buy every variant cover of that one please.