Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Pretty much, in fact I'd go further to say it was Peter Davids intention. Doug's issues with his memory is where the issues with consent comes in. He had no recollection or did not have the capicity to properly consent.

Let me put it this way- Doug was asleep, Danger came into his room and started touching him, he wakes up and is too shocked to say no. Assume she's not hurting him, so he's not going to fight it off. It might even be pleasurable. But! There was no consent given, and he wouldn't have done it of his own accord. Also, he was a virgin and hasn't been in a situation like this before. Now he's confused and conflicted, as many rape victims are. He probably feels guilty for enjoying it. Female on male rape is often like this, where guys don't even know it's rape, because society tells them they should always be wanting sex. I'm not saying don't put it in a comic book, but at least call it what it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    Not what happened in the issue. He woke up and she was there. She wasn't there when he went to bed and woke up to her and obliged. There wasn't any dialogue that said, "hey lets do it later, I'll meet you in your room when I'm done doing whatever".

I don't assume what was shown prior as the norm. You gotta say it in the printed form be that the previous page or something.
    As I said before, we don't know any which way as a fact because the issue left their dialogue open to interpretation in that regard. However, past issues DO set a trend that makes the notion that Danger did ask him before she truly engaged into a very strong possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
    Let me put it this way- Doug was asleep, Danger came into his room and started touching him, he wakes up and is too shocked to say no.
    You're assuming this is what happened. Everything you wrote after these two sentences is based on this unproven assumption. I explicitly covered this in the edit I made at the end of my very first post.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    As I said before, we don't know any which way as a fact because the issue left their dialogue open to interpretation in that regard. However, past issues DO set a trend that makes the notion that Danger did ask him before she truly engaged into a very strong possibility.
    And every time, it was shown in the book. I can't give the pass because great lengths were taken to show her asking. If it was that important it should have been done so one more time.
    Last edited by Neko; 12-24-2014 at 07:36 PM. Reason: no reason for my last line
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

BANNED

I wonder if he can't remember because she roofied him? He does generally hate her guts.

If you want to assume Danger was touching doug when he woke up, I can just the same assume, that she was touching herself when he woke up, and doug jumped right in.

i would be willing to give this situation the botd (benefit of the doubt) if the author hadn't already made light of this issue with longshot and dazzler. not really comfortable reading p*ter d*vid comics anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy55 View Post
    i would be willing to give this situation the botd (benefit of the doubt) if the author hadn't already made light of this issue with longshot and dazzler. not really comfortable reading p*ter d*vid comics anymore
    This is what I was quietly referring to in my first post about trysts. I need to go into a bit of detail for everyone to understand.

There was a page where Longshot and Dazzler spoke. Longshot came on to Dazzler. She blew him off at first. He said something, we saw his power signature as he said it, and then the next scene showed them in bed together. A lot of people immediately assumed that Longshot used his power to control Dazzler's mind and make her sleep with him; in other words, mind rape.

Here's what people keep ignoring: Peter David himself posted to explicitly state that Longshot was not using his powers on Dazzler there, and the scene was literally nothing more than two characters that had split apart having a moment together. Peter David even posted the specific page in his script tied to that scene to prove that's all it was. His script didn't even say anything about seeing Longshot's power signature; that was a touch the artist decided to add all on his own.

This is why I'm not immediately assuming the worst possible interpretation. Peter David's already shared that he didn't mean the worst possible interpretation in that previous case. Of course, I still criticized the page (and even argued with remydat who was defending Peter David at the time) due to ambiguity even after finding out the truth, but with the truth known, I said it was more a problem of the artist adding that power bit than anything else. Without the artist adding that bit, the "mind rape" argument wouldn't have come to be.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Incredible Member

Here's what I thought of the robot-sex (I can't believe I said that): first of all, I don't think the scene of Danger and Doug in bed would have worked quite as well if we saw Danger get consent before the act. The whole scene is meant to be a shocking reveal for the reader, because up to that point, I was pretty sure Danger was going to get it on with Warlock. I think PAD has done this before where characters sort of "inexplicably" have sex in that there's not a whole lot of setup to it and after the act, the characters are thinking "I don't know why I did that". Like Rahne with Rictor and Jaimie's dupes with Syrin and Monet. Doesn't necessarily mean that they were raped even though they have second thought after the fact...Although yes, the way Danger supposedly approached Doug sounds creepy. Well, her fascination with sex and proposing just about anyone would be creepy if it wasn't shown in a humorous light.
    Also, I agree with what someone else said before: having sex with Danger looks like it would be a painful experience. I mean, Vision is at least covered in synthetic skin, whereas Danger has her metal frame exposed.

You are probably right Quicksilverfan. In the end, Doug said he was willing. It was just awkward how they hooked up. The aftermath was entertaining with the other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    Danger had asked everyone on the team for sex. The one person who is not directly asked is Cypher. The approach was handled completely differently from the other issues. The fact Doug says he was willing is after the fact when it should have been in the beginning. He may not have bothered either knowing Warlock had a crush either.

Just pointing out the problems with that scene.
    Maybe Danger wanted Doug all along and was trying to get some experience before him in order to 'get it right'? Just tossing that out there as a possibility.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Ultimate Member

I think that the obvious point in all of this is that Danger wants to experience more "human" emotions/sensations, but has no idea of how to properly go about it. Hence her awkwardly asking everyone on the team (plus Scarlet Witch, that was hilarious) if they want to sleep with her. As for the mechanics of it, well it's just like "how do Ben Grimm and Alicia Masters do it" or "how could Domino stand to sleep with Colossus while he was in metal form?" It's best not to think too hard about that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I think that the obvious point in all of this is that Danger wants to experience more "human" emotions/sensations, but has no idea of how to properly go about it. Hence her awkwardly asking everyone on the team (plus Scarlet Witch, that was hilarious) if they want to sleep with her. As for the mechanics of it, well it's just like "how do Ben Grimm and Alicia Masters do it" or "how could Domino stand to sleep with Colossus while he was in metal form?" It's best not to think too hard about that sort of thing.
    Great point, it does show how hard it is for Danger to do the human type stuff. Even afterward the parts I thought were cold was actually her just being her.

An interesting issue to say the least.

The only thing I didn't like was that this was clearly a story about Israel and Palestine and that one side was depicted as right and the other wrong. I know the debate on that is very one sided in the states but I don't live in the states. I am from Ireland so the idea of an occupation just doesn't sit well since we were also occupied. We were branded as terrorists too when we fought back. Also even the Jewish community as a whole does not agree with the actions of Israel. You go on youtube and find holocaust survivors condemning the actions of the Israeli government. When you have the amount of civilian casualities on both sides to that scale I'm not comfortable with depicting one side as 100% right or wrong. There are bad people on both sides as well as good people who feel they have no other options. War is complicated and both sides I am sure have their proganda machines. I am going to give PAD the benefit of the doubt and hope we see more shades of grey in the next issue.

Also it might be my imagination but I buy this on Comixology and I notice that the quality of the pages seem lower than other titles. Pages for X-Factor look a bit pixelated as opposed to other comics. It's like the person scanning them isn't doing it at the right resolution. I thought maybe it was my laptop but I am home for the christmas and I'm using a different device.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilverfan View Post
    Here's what I thought of the robot-sex (I can't believe I said that): first of all, I don't think the scene of Danger and Doug in bed would have worked quite as well if we saw Danger get consent before the act. The whole scene is meant to be a shocking reveal for the reader, because up to that point, I was pretty sure Danger was going to get it on with Warlock. I think PAD has done this before where characters sort of "inexplicably" have sex in that there's not a whole lot of setup to it and after the act, the characters are thinking "I don't know why I did that". Like Rahne with Rictor and Jaimie's dupes with Syrin and Monet. Doesn't necessarily mean that they were raped even though they have second thought after the fact...Although yes, the way Danger supposedly approached Doug sounds creepy. Well, her fascination with sex and proposing just about anyone would be creepy if it wasn't shown in a humorous light.
    Also, I agree with what someone else said before: having sex with Danger looks like it would be a painful experience. I mean, Vision is at least covered in synthetic skin, whereas Danger has her metal frame exposed.
    Danger is a shapeshifter as well as a walking holodeck and offered even to Warlock to adapt whatever parts he'd find appealing, so I assume she would have done the same for Doug.

In X-Men Legacy she pulled off a convincing human appearance, for example: