View Poll Results: Batman: Hush issue #608-619 Dec '02 to Nov '03 by Jeph Loeb & Jim Lee / What is your verdict?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-Stars: Easily One of The Greatest work by a creative team I have ever read

10 12.50%
  • 4-Stars: This was really good

28 35.00%
  • 3-Stars: It was okay

22 27.50%
  • 2-Stars: I was more underwhelmed than anything

14 17.50%
  • 1-Star: I'm trying to find my lighter or match so I can set this on fire

6 7.50%
  • No Comment: I haven't read it, or I really have no opinion(s) whatsoever

0 0%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Post Batman: Hush (2003) / What is your verdict?

I haven't seen this up in any of the threads since the CBR Forum reboot. Basically, it was a good story for me, but the thing that really caught my attention was all the Batman illustrations that could have been and are worthy posters inside the panels of each issue. And years has passed and there are multiple iconic images from this comic book run. In fact, there even have been a few statues based on images in this run. To me, this was Jim Lee at his finest.

To me, besides the great illustrations by Jim Lee, the story by Jeph Loeb was fantastic and he really got into Bruce's head. Like when Bruce said, "

"If Clark wanted to, he could use his superspeed and squish me into the cement. But I know how he thinks. Even more than the Kryptonite, he's got one big weakness. Deep down, Clark's essentially a good person...and deep down, I'm not."

It was a shiny as a polished turd could be.

I loved this story. This is what brought me hack to Batman after a very long break. Loved the art, and I downloaded many ikages from this run as desktops for my p.c.. My only complaint was the boyhood friend angle. Regardless, this is a great story that intoduced a great villan.

BANNED

It's a dumb popcorn flick of a comic. Another Loeb retread, but with Jim Lee's pretty art instead of Tim Sale's pretty art. Kind of fun in its way, but ultimately kind of middling.

Paul Dini and Scott Snyder used Hush better than his own creator ever did.

It's stupid and silly yet I love it unashamedly. Forgot the plot holes and wonky logic, that's irrelevant. It's only exists to take you on a history tour of the Batman universe and pack in as many villains and allies as possible, treated to the Jim Lee style and distilled down to their most iconic forms. The half arsed mystery is just a framework for that, but so what. It's fun, bombastic, true to character and undeniably "Batman" once you accept it for it is.

Spectacular Member

i think it's the perfect introductory book for a new fan to learn the rough status quo and history of the modern bat-verse

Incredible Member

I liked it overall, but there were bits in it that were cringy. If they took out the Jason Todd bit and the shoe-horning a new friend (he had a friend in Batman Gothic, just make it him!).
    I preferred Heart Of Hush for sure.

But I've heard people utterly hate it, I don't think that's fair. I think its a pretty entertaining ride, and it looks great.

It was pretty good. Great art, entertaining story. It's not the best Batman book ever written, but I don't regret buying it at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    It was a shiny as a polished turd could be.
    Pretty much this.

It had the worst villain origin ever, it washed away a few years worth of character development for Batman from the Rucka and Brubaker run (that had ended aboput two months earlier), it introduced the horribly belly-window stripper costume for Huntress, it returned Pöison Ivy to her old one note seductress status, it messed up Two-Face and then left him hanging in limbo because Loeb&Lee couldn't be bothered to do the follow-up story they had planned forTwo-Face...

Oh, and it was drawn by Jim Lee, whose art I never liked.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Octagon View Post
    i think it's the perfect introductory book for a new fan to learn the rough status quo and history of the modern bat-verse
    Except it completely ignored that status quo and made up a brandnew one.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Except it completely ignored that status quo and made up a brandnew one.
    Isn't that exactly why it would be good for a new fan?

It's pretty to look at?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Octagon View Post
    I don't see how this is the introductory book....compared to other "introductory" books you actually learn little about Batman. And I thought the Superman, Harley Quinn, and Joker issues were displays of repetitive, half-assed writing.

Stories like Grant Morrison's Shaman or There's No Hope in Crime Alley where they actually go into detail about Batman's early years would be a much better choice imo.
    Last edited by LifeIsILL; 05-14-2014 at 08:55 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    Isn't that exactly why it would be good for a new fan?
    Not so good for existing fans though, who outnumber new fans at least good 25.000 to 1.

After TLH and DV it felt like a bit of a let down. Hush is a great looking book but I just didn't feel as intrigued by the mystery as I was with Loeb's earlier efforts.