View Poll Results: Batman: Hush issue #608-619 Dec '02 to Nov '03 by Jeph Loeb & Jim Lee / What is your verdict?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-Stars: Easily One of The Greatest work by a creative team I have ever read

10 12.50%
  • 4-Stars: This was really good

28 35.00%
  • 3-Stars: It was okay

22 27.50%
  • 2-Stars: I was more underwhelmed than anything

14 17.50%
  • 1-Star: I'm trying to find my lighter or match so I can set this on fire

6 7.50%
  • No Comment: I haven't read it, or I really have no opinion(s) whatsoever

0 0%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    I don't see how this is the introductory book....compared to other "introductory" books you actually learn little about Batman. [...]
    The TPB includes a short introduction how Bruce became Batman and why he does what he does. There isn't that much else to say, the rest is revealed through his interactions with his rogues gallery.
    Hush was the first Batman story I've read without having too much knowledge of the comics, I've been familiar with B:TAS and the Arkham Games. IMO, the story does an okay job to explain Batman's universe in a nutshell. The identity of Hush was way too obvious and the red herrings seemed more than half-hearted. There are a lot of superior storylines out there but I enjoyed Hush for what it is.
    "Tell me there's something better. Go ahead, try."

BANNED

I don't enjoy this story. 1 star

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

An objectively silly, stupid, derivative story...but a gorgeous, super-fun silly stupid derivative story. In my heart it's probably a 4, but I can't justifiably give it any higher than 3. Even that's really too high.

I think it's still a great book for new or lapsed readers. As long as you have a basic knowledge of the world of Batman, it's easy to pick up and understand.

4/5 Stars.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

It's a 3. It's not as good as some make it out to be, but it's certainly not as bad as some people make it out to be. It's okay.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

BANNED

1 star. It, how you say? Sucks.

BANNED

It's one of the best modern Bat-fairytales.

Grade: 4 batarangs

It's like watching a big blockbuster: you know how the movie is going to end and the plot is somewhat cliche in places, but its a fun ride and looks damn good while doing it.
    Last edited by Pharozonk; 05-14-2014 at 05:11 PM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    It's a 3. It's not as good as some make it out to be, but it's certainly not as bad as some people make it out to be. It's okay.
    Exactly. It's just another "All-Star Batman" story. The basis for the character is great though. The things Dini has done with him in Heart of Hush, and Arkham City are brilliant.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

3-stars

The story was just okay - neither the greatest or worst Bat story or the greatest/worst Loeb-penned anything, but fun to read through and stare at thanks to the great art by Lee

3 stars.

The story was really meh after TLH and DLV formula was used over and over again. But it was fun, and Jim Lee gorgeous art.

And a very good introductory book for beginners.

Ah, the memories . . .

Just now I gave it 2 stars out of 5, and I'm going to explain why.

I bought the individual issues as they were coming out. I thought the arc had great art, decent dialogue, a building sense of mystery and suspense (I kept asking myself: "Just who is this Mysterious Bandaged Trenchcoat Guy who keeps making these cryptic utterances?") . . . but it also had a growing number of apparent plot holes which kept nagging at me as I went from issue to issue. The way I remember it, I was constantly telling myself: "Be patient, kid. Have a little faith. Think of it as a mystery novel. Remember that Jeph Loeb might actually have a clue about where he's going with this. Maybe most of the really bizarre and apparently nonsensical twists will turn out to have something remotely resembling 'satisfactory explanations' when the full truth finally comes out in the last chapter of the tale?"

Then I actually bought and read Part 12 . . . and guess what? Most, if not all, of the plot holes which had been bothering me for several months were not mentioned at all, much less explained. I felt forced to draw the painful conclusion that there had never been any rational reason for those writing decisions, and Jeph Loeb probably didn't even know or care that various "surprise twists" in his big story arc didn't make any sense!

I was incredibly disappointed by how it had all fallen flat on its face when viewed in logical terms, instead of having a Grand Finale to match the build-up. Some months later, I finally decided to let off some steam, and hopefully to amuse some of my fellow Batman fans who might be equally disappointed. My approach was to write a parody in the format of a script for a Mad Magazine-style treatment of the story arc (similar to what Mad has been doing for decades with its skewed versions of blockbuster movies and the like).

The first chapter of the two-part parody was one of the first things I ever posted here on the CBR forums in 2004. I also joined some other comic book discussion sites at the same time, so as to improve my chances of finding an appreciative audience. I did, in fact, get some appreciation (here and elsewhere), and I became a semi-regular poster in discussions of the superhero comic book genre of which I had already been a big fan for many years before I started participating here.

Incidentally, the CBR copies of my two-part parody were erased several years ago when someone was doing a previous round of "housecleaning of old threads," but copies are still available at the following links if anybody cares to look them over and see what plot holes I felt particularly obligated to mock a solid decade ago.

Bratman: Shush (Part 1 of 2)
    Bratman: Shush (Part 2 of 2)
    Last edited by Lorendiac; 05-14-2014 at 07:27 PM.

BANNED

It's a classic.

is it still part of Batman's history?

BANNED

Tim Drake in Peril. Again.

Amazing Member

It will always be one of my favorite batman stories, because it had just ended when I started reading comics for the first time ever, and it was my second batman story I ever read after batman year one.

Being introduced to all of that at once is an unforgettable experience. Plus, best jim lee art ever. There is an enormous difference between the jim lee that drew hush and for tomorrow, and the jim lee that did new 52 justice league and superman unchained. I'm not sure I'd put new jim lee in among DC's top 20 artists at the moment.