Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    They kind of are in a whole. Their most profitable division, gaming, is still losing them money.

As much as I like the Amazing series I won't deny that Sony back themselves into a corner with the new series. They banked everything on the first movie being a massive success and it ultimately was seen as ok. People are straight up giving the cold shoulder to Amazing 2 even though this is the big set up film for the Sinister 6. And frankly, giving the negative reaction to the first film, Son really can't reboot the franchise a second time.
    Sony's most consistent and profitable division is their financial services division. Gaming is far from that.

At its current state Sony Pictures and Sony Music are consistent profit generators for the company while the rest of it is in flux. Spider-Man happens to be Sony's biggest movie franchise next to the Bond films (which they share with MGM). Other than that they don't have any big active movie franchises. So there's absolutely no reason to expect Sony to want to sell their biggest franchise away. The only reason they would do that is if the company is in dire financial straits and need a cash infusion. Or they undergo major restructuring that requires them to sell off their entertainment business.
    Last edited by Probalus; 05-15-2014 at 05:52 AM.

Never going to happen. With comic book movies the big thing right now and with Disney cashing in billions from the MCU, Fox and Sony are going to cling to whatever comic book franchises they have desperately and milk them the best they can. Unfortunately Sony/Fox are not as competent as Marvel Studios, as seen with the lackluster Spider-man movies and now casting little kids as the Fantastic Four.

A unified MCU with Avengers, X-Men, FF, and Spider-man would all be great, but movie studios gonna movie studio.

Fictional Computer Hacker August_Gorman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jgprime View Post
    But at the same time in Winter Soldier, not even Iron Man shows up when Hydra reappears (even if he blew up all his armours). Neither does any of the Avengers show up in Thor 2 when Malekith's wrecking London (not even SHIELD shows up). Of course this is one of the hinds that has carried on from the comics in the Marvel Universe. You'd always get inconsistencies about heroes not showing up when there's trouble.
    Fair enough. They could probably find a way to make it work.
    Although, I think Thor 2 explained in some comic booky dialogue that Shield and Cap were unreachable. And the last we saw of Tony, he had quit being Iron Man before the events of Thor 2 and Cap 2.
    ____

Currently Reading: The Amazing Spider-Man, Attack On Titan, Fight Club 2, On Guard We Stand, Ultimate End
    ____

Gus Gorman: "Hey, man!"
    Lorelei Ambrosia: "That's his last name. He likes to be called Superman."

BANNED

If it happens, and that is one major freaking IF, Hallelujah!

I don't think Sony will ever do that but man it would be great. Marvel Studios could ditch the Sinister Six and Venom films and instead focus on making TASM 3 great and also get Spidey on Avengers 3 and other future films. MCU rocks. Just watched Avengers for the first time last night, fun film.

Extraordinary Member

I'd chuck Spider-Man into Avengers 3, then plug in a solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post
    If this happens, Marvel/Sony would have to wait at least five to seven years before doing their own Spider-Man movie. One of the many reasons these new Spidey films have underperformed is because it was simply too soon to reboot the character. Had Sony simply recast the leads and tried to do a non-reboot reboot, a la Superman Returns, they'd be in a better position today. I have had no less than five people as me to explain the difference between Spider-Man 2 and The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and that's just in the last two weeks since the film was released. The same happened with the first film.

At any rate, I'd wait another decade for a live-action Spidey film if it was done by Marvel. Get actual teens to play the roles of Peter and his fellow high schoolers, only refer to the origin in flashbacks, and show us the Spidey of the Lee/Ditko/Romita era with the same approach Marvel Studios has used for The Avengers.

Speaking of which, Spidey can make a cameo in an Avengers film, but should NOT be an Avenger.
    I agree with the second half of your post, def go with the high school approach, weather it be ultimate spiderman or amazing.
    Also agree, origin through flashback

As for the first part of your post, I think what hurt the movies the most is the fact that they were average at best. Actually I think the only reason they did so well is because mothers will take there kids to the movies no matter what, and spidey has the name already.

If marvel do get the rights back, there's one thing I ask, choose your cast a lot mor carefully than Sony did. Emma stone is about the only god thing in those movies IMO. I still don't feel like I've met Peter Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    LOL and I was just about to post how surprised I would be if it happened and how awesome it would be to have Andrew Garfield in the webbs beside the other Avengers!

I really did like The Amazing Spider-Man 2 but it hasn't been performing up to par with what they thought it was going to. I couldn't see them just selling though. I could see a deal similar to Marvel and Universal's deal with Hulk only a little bit more power with Sony.

They ask for $1.5 billion for the franchise (which is pretty cheap with the past two movies they've released likely making at least close to that) with the following conditions:

1. Give all future distribution rights to the films to Columbia Pictures like Hulk films will be distributed through Universal Studios.

2. More co-production than full creative reversion. Sony would just talk with Marvel about how Spider-Man fits in the universe.

3. Perhaps a bigger cut in the film's profits.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by August_Gorman View Post
    Fair enough. They could probably find a way to make it work.
    Although, I think Thor 2 explained in some comic booky dialogue that Shield and Cap were unreachable. And the last we saw of Tony, he had quit being Iron Man before the events of Thor 2 and Cap 2.
    You could make the same argument about comic book stories, not just movie stories. The stories will always be about the featured character, and will only be about teams or team-ups when the story specifically calls for it. Logically, whether Stark had stopped being Iron Man or not, we've already seen his reaction to Stark tech being used in unscrupulous ways, and one could, in a real world expect Tony to get personally involved in the climax of Winter Soldier. But this isn't the real world, it's a Captain America movie. Not an Avengers movie, or Captain America/Iron Man team up movie.

Disney should offer to trade the rights to Indiana Jones for Spidey, see what Sony say.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    I really did like The Amazing Spider-Man 2 but it hasn't been performing up to par with what they thought it was going to. I couldn't see them just selling though. I could see a deal similar to Marvel and Universal's deal with Hulk only a little bit more power with Sony.

They ask for $1.5 billion for the franchise (which is pretty cheap with the past two movies they've released likely making at least close to that) with the following conditions:

1. Give all future distribution rights to the films to Columbia Pictures like Hulk films will be distributed through Universal Studios.

2. More co-production than full creative reversion. Sony would just talk with Marvel about how Spider-Man fits in the universe.

3. Perhaps a bigger cut in the film's profits.
    But if the films continue making less and less money, all Marvel/Disney have to do is let them release a few more films so they can get the license back at a cheaper rate.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dexy View Post
    Disney should offer to trade the rights to Indiana Jones for Spidey, see what Sony say.
    I love Spidey, but c'mon...no. Absolutely not. Disney is the only studio I'd trust with the Indiana Jones films at this point, and considering I don't think there should be any more, that's saying a lot.

Wouldn't Sony potentially selling the Spider-Man film rights (IF they were to sell it) to the highest bidder be more likely than a sale directly back to Marvel/Disney?
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/