Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I really hate the fact that Superman has not 1, not 2 but at least 3 separate weaknesses specific to only him: green kryptonite, magic and red solar radiation.

Having this many different specific weaknesses for one hero makes no sense unless we're going back to the Silver Age levels of power where literally nothing else could hurt him and no one (except the truly cosmic beings) would last more than a minute against him. We haven't been at that place for decades now. Why does he still have all these weaknesses? How many weaknesses do the other powerhouses have? How many does Wonder Woman have? Or the Hulk? Or Thor? Or Silver Surfer? Or Martian Manhunter (actually ... scratch that last one, MM's single physiological weakness to fire is the best-used example of specific weakness).

To me, magical attacks on Superman should be measured just like science attacks: it takes a HUGE amount of anything to do anything to Kal. Even things that aren't straightforward attacks come with a cost. Change him into a frog? You better be one of the most powerful sorcerers ever and it's gonna drain you considerably even if you succeed.

You can't be some fool with a magic wand and take out the greatest super-hero of all time with a wave of your hand.

I dislike magic in a largely sci-fi setting (such as the overall DCU) as much as I dislike hi-tech in a largely magic setting (modern guns in GAME OF THRONES, for example). Oil and water, those two.

I also dislike magic in general because there is rarely, if ever, ANY consistency when magic is portrayed. "Why does something happen like that? Because magic, no reasons needed, just go with it".

Too often, magic = deus ex machina all day = poor storytelling.

In short, I would get rid of Superman's weakness to magic altogether (except at the absolute highest level of sorcery).

I think we should make away with the red sun radiation weakness. It shouldn't affect Superman at all once he is powered by white (yellow) sun radiation. Magic is not a weakness specific to Superman. Everyone is vulnerable to magic, Superman simply isn't more resistant than the next guy to magic attacks. His only specific weakness (other than "Batman/fanboy" writers) is kryptonite.

Amazing Member

I think Superman is simply weak to magic because Superman and all his powers are concrete (at least for the DC universe) while magic is abstract.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I really hate the fact that Superman has not 1, not 2 but at least 3 separate weaknesses specific to only him: green kryptonite, magic and red solar radiation.

Having this many different specific weaknesses for one hero makes no sense unless we're going back to the Silver Age levels of power where literally nothing else could hurt him and no one (except the truly cosmic beings) would last more than a minute against him. We haven't been at that place for decades now. Why does he still have all these weaknesses? How many weaknesses do the other powerhouses have? How many does Wonder Woman have? Or the Hulk? Or Thor? Or Silver Surfer? Or Martian Manhunter (actually ... scratch that last one, MM's single physiological weakness to fire is the best-used example of specific weakness).

To me, magical attacks on Superman should be measured just like science attacks: it takes a HUGE amount of anything to do anything to Kal. Even things that aren't straightforward attacks come with a cost. Change him into a frog? You better be one of the most powerful sorcerers ever and it's gonna drain you considerably even if you succeed.

You can't be some fool with a magic wand and take out the greatest super-hero of all time with a wave of your hand.

I dislike magic in a largely sci-fi setting (such as the overall DCU) as much as I dislike hi-tech in a largely magic setting (modern guns in GAME OF THRONES, for example). Oil and water, those two.

I also dislike magic in general because there is rarely, if ever, ANY consistency when magic is portrayed. "Why does something happen like that? Because magic, no reasons needed, just go with it".

In short, I would get rid of Superman's weakness to magic altogether (except at the absolute highest level of sorcery).
    I agree with a lot of this. Superman is the only hero, that I can tell, that writers seemingly go out of their way to make weak - all the while making other hero(s) stronger / more powerful (sometimes at the expense of Superman himself)Magic started as a joke /comic relief in the 40's with Mr. Mxyzptlk and has manifested itself into this.

Depends on how its done, if some one uses magic to throw a truck at him, he shouldn't be hurt by that at all. If some one summons magic lightning from the heavens to fry his ass then yeah, he should be hurt by it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

How functional are those heroes really, though? Look at them more closely and you'll see what I mean. The surfer simply cannot hold an audience and it is the lack of real tension in his endeavors that is largely responsible. The hulk is an uncontrollable beast; his great weakness is himself, is his own power. Thor for many years couldn't be separated from his hammer for over a minute. His weakness was his human side.

In short, I would get rid of Superman's weakness to magic altogether (except at the absolute highest level of sorcery).[/QUOTE]