Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Exclamation Mandrake Maximum

Any team that features Mandrake the Magician must be a real stunner.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
    I am so upset that they ended Flash Gordon, to put *this* out. How the hell do you take a series about a spacefaring swashbuckler, with the best art in comics, and great writing, and make it a god damned miniseries?!?! I had the same problem with Starlight, tho to a lesser extent. So upset.
    Whats wrong with it being a miniseries? So long as the quality is there i'm happy. Admittedly, the first issue wasnt as good as the Parker stuff (was probably never gonna be) but theres worse things than going from great to good.

Also, Parkers run was probably always finite anyway. It ended on a pretty set note that nicely leads into the King Minis. It didnt feel cut short or anything.

And Stalight was always a mini.

I liked this series for the most part.

Didn't like that Parker "Captain Kirked*" Flash Gordon into some kind of spoiled fratboy doofus.

*The same way the new Star Trek movies reduced Captain Kirk to a spoiled fratboy doofus character.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I liked Shaner's art a lot and Parker always delivers a fun read, but he got Flash's voice terribly wrong. I thought that series really fell apart at the end.

I'm not a fan of Flash being able to go back and forth between Earth and Mongo. I think it takes away from the "stranger in a strange land" concept that's at the core of the mythology of the 'Savior of the Universe'.

Exclamation Phantom Pentagon

The Hollywood (USA) movie adaptation of the Phantom (KFS) simply called "The Phantom" (1996) re-presented the muscular hero attempting to defy the schemes of a maniacal power-seeker in the big city.

There is much room to re-cast members of the bold Defenders of the Earth in positions where sophisticated entanglements with the forces of 'civilized villainy' create exciting images of 'profiteerism prophecies.'

Can we imagine, for example, the Phantom contending with the likes of the mysterious dragon-rider woman (described in occult mythologies) or Tiamat (the multi-headed beast who annoys the powerful sorcerer Venger --- Dungeons & Dragons) or T-1000 (the mercury-composed super-terminator robot)?

Expanding the boundaries of heroism illuminates the potency of the colorful Defenders of the Earth.

The Phantom [Wikia]

tng.jpg

Earth Defense Directorate buttler's Avatar

It totally kills me that there are two consecutive pages in Flash Gordon #2 with the same dialogue, and it's clearly a mistake because it doesn't match up with the art at all.

Now I'll never know what made the two Mongo guys have their change of heart, what their story was about, or what Dale's second question was!

C'mon, Dynamite, you can do better than that.
    Blogging about Wonder Woman every Wednesday: theidiolect.com

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buttler View Post
    It totally kills me that there are two consecutive pages in Flash Gordon #2 with the same dialogue, and it's clearly a mistake because it doesn't match up with the art at all.

Now I'll never know what made the two Mongo guys have their change of heart, what their story was about, or what Dale's second question was!

Can you post a picture? Its shocking that would happen.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Can you post a picture? Its shocking that would happen.
    Sure!
    flashgordonwhoops2.jpg

The surrounding context makes it even more clear that it's a mistake rather than just some avant-garde choice. The dialogue matches the first page but not the second. These two pages are the whole story that they're telling, so the end of the story is supposed to be told on this second page. That's where we also get Dale's second question, that apparently turns the storytelling soldiers against Ming. It's funny because on the next page Flash says, "I can't believe it. All you did was ask two questions. Two! I counted." But we only read Dale asking one question, on the page preceding this spread. As printed, it's like Flash can't even count.

Same s### in one of their Chaos books a few weeks back iirc.

Not cool Dynamite.

Update from Dynamite;

"Hello,

At this time, we do not have plans to reprint this issue.

"We are going to correct the error in the collection and looking to print the
    corrected page in the next issue.

Have a good day."

Well, I'm glad we'll get a chance to see it. Here's hoping they do include it in the next issue!

Aaaaand thats the kind of thing that keeps me away from Dynamite. I find it ironic that it happened some years back on the Alex Ross directed Flash Gordon run and it happens yet again on the very same property.

Im just glad they didn't have this kind of mess with Magnus.

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    Aaaaand thats the kind of thing that keeps me away from Dynamite. I find it ironic that it happened some years back on the Alex Ross directed Flash Gordon run and it happens yet again on the very same property.

Im just glad they didn't have this kind of mess with Magnus.
    I've found this a lot at Dynamite. A bunch of the Kirby-verse and PSP solo books had issues like this. Either pages were misprinted, duplicated or left out all together...and its happened to me with their digital books too!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I skipped this line from Dynamite. I've just never been too curious about these characters in the near 30yrs of my reading this medium.
    With a glitch like this I'm glad I did. As disappointing as their DynaKey was largely at least that didn't happen on any of those books.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Mighty Member

Thank you for the warning. I am sooo glad I stayed away from this run. The covers were awful for at least 3 issues