Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Default Protecting your trades and hardbound books?

Now that I've got my couple handfuls of floppies covered in mylar I've turned my eye towards my softback and hardbound comics.
    Generally have been advised that these don't need any extra protection...."Just place them on a bookshelf". So I used document boxes and book shelves.

Yeah, the 'mother hen' in me is finding that this just doesn't cut it in regards to my babies. I need more at least for my favorite children. (Yes, I play favorites.)

Sadly, a quick search on my store bookmarks turned up nada for anything. Even B&N has zilch. Only AMZN had listings of any kind. Geez.

For the hardbounds with dust jackets I'm looking at the (admittedly confusing) offering of mylar/polyester covers from someplace called Brodart.
    But what do I do about the others?

Has anyone covered their softbacks or hardbounds in 1.5 or 2mil mylar and how did it turn out?
    Did anyone try using the Just-A-Folds backwards so that the paper liner is on the inside cover rather than on the outside, having the clear on the outside, and cutting out a slit from the inside to accommodate the spine then using archive tape to keep it on?

Adding that I did check YT for videos on this kind of thing, but those were mainly about protecting dust jackets. One video did show how to plain plastic cover a hardbound, but nothing about paperbacks.
    Last edited by Kyer; 12-27-2014 at 09:13 AM.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

If it's really that big of an issue for you, put them in magazine bags.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    If it's really that big of an issue for you, put them in magazine bags.
    I did use the leftover mylar bags on my thinner favorite trades. But some of them are too thick and that doesn't address the issue of finger oils and such during actual reading. (I suppose I should consider a 'spit shield' for when running across scenes that make cause OMGTHATWASAWESOME levels of mindless drooling or just plain spitting mad. But that probably would be 'excessive' even for me.

Probably?
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

This might be silly to ask, but any recommends on how to protect your comics when taking them to a conventions? I put them in a bag pack so its easy to bring and get them signed but I notice after few conventions that they get a little bent on the bottom corners while still bag and boarded...not sure how to remedy this other then not putting them on the floor in a back pack??

Quote Originally Posted by devil leonx View Post
    This might be silly to ask, but any recommends on how to protect your comics when taking them to a conventions? I put them in a bag pack so its easy to bring and get them signed but I notice after few conventions that they get a little bent on the bottom corners while still bag and boarded...not sure how to remedy this other then not putting them on the floor in a back pack??
    Comic Book Stor-Folio
    http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/comic...stor-folio-pow

1-SFC-15-ART-POW_1_main.jpg

1-SFC-15-ART-LBK_1_main.jpg

I've got an older model with Velcro closure. These newer ones use magnets. The comic books, I keep in Standard 2 mil Mylites2 with 42 mil Full-Back boards.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 07-26-2017 at 10:43 PM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Comic Book Stor-Folio
    http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/comic...stor-folio-pow

1-SFC-15-ART-POW_1_main.jpg

1-SFC-15-ART-LBK_1_main.jpg

I've got an older model with Velcro closure. The comics, I keep in 2 mil Mylites2 with 42 mil Full-Back boards.
    well this certainly is a good answer lol, thanks ! I suppose there is not a specialty back pack for comics right?

well this certainly is a good answer lol, thanks ! I suppose there is not a specialty back pack for comics right?
    Not that I know of.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Not that I know of.
    Thanks a ton again, I was not really expecting a answer, well for the first post I made I mean.

Rui no onna, is there a difference between the one you posted and this one?

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/comic...folio-1-5-inch ?? Aside from color of course....not good at fractions but is the black one smaller a tad then the pow one?
    Last edited by devil leonx; 07-26-2017 at 11:35 PM.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan

Could you not just buy a couple dollars worth of bubble wrap to protect the books in your book bag? Or use a bubble mailing envelope and cut it to size to fit in the bag? (I'm learning to do things on the cheap. )

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Could you not just buy a couple dollars worth of bubble wrap to protect the books in your book bag? Or use a bubble mailing envelope and cut it to size to fit in the bag? (I'm learning to do things on the cheap. )
    You need something rigid. Bubble mailing envelope wouldn't work all that well for raw comics (unless it's sandwiched between oversized pieces of thick cardboard). For a less expensive option, I know some people use plastic document cases that you can easily buy at dollar stores or Office Depot.

It's a one-time $10 cost for a reusable box. Personally, I'd rather spend $10 for a custom designed solution than $2-5 for something that might not work as well.

https://www.amazon.com/BCW-Supplies-...dp/B002AT8QKU/
    Currently Following:

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    That idea might work for a limited amount of time but when your taking out your comic constantly to get them out I can imagine its a bit of a hassle and still would not do the job well. I am gonna buy a box or two that Rui recommend , it seems worth it.

BANNED

You should slide a thin piece of cardboard under the pages of your hardcovers so the spines don't tear. This is necessary with the fat Marvel/DC omnibuses.