View Poll Results: What first got you interest in X-Men?

Voters
227. You may not vote on this poll
  • X-Men: The Animated Series 90s Cartoon

97 42.73%
  • X-Men Evolution Cartoon

12 5.29%
  • Trading Cards

7 3.08%
  • Original X-Men Trilogy

10 4.41%
  • X-Men Video Games - Pryde, Children of the Atom, Legends, Destiny, etc

9 3.96%
  • Wolverine and the X-Men Cartoon

0 0%
  • Current X-Men Trilogy (First Class, Days of Future Past, etc)

1 0.44%
  • Wolverine - I liked Wolverine on the Avengers or Solo, so I checked out the X-Men

2 0.88%
  • The Comics - duh

74 32.60%
  • Other - What?

15 6.61%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

The comics! I knew of them through my brother but never really got into them, read a few appearances then I picked up my first issue in the 80s and I was sold.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 12-29-2014 at 09:43 PM.

The comics. Walked into a new comic store and saw Uncanny X-men #198 on the shelf with a gorgeous cover by Barry Windsor-Smith. Attracted me and once I took a look, that's all it took. I've been a collector to this day.

I'm pretty sure it was SPIDER-MAN 25, circa August 1992, was my first exposure to the Excalibur and then I started getting that title and buying back issues from there.

The 90s X-MEN cartoon coming out soon after that cemented my adoration for the merry mutants.

Fleer trading cards also tipped me off on them
    http://www.shadowandflamewithmagik.com/

My Blog following the adventures of Kitty Pryde, Lockheed and Magik

BANNED

Hugh Jackman and Famke Janssen.

I loved X-Men movie so much I bought green coat to be Rogue.

The replies in this thread show me how much older most of the people on this forum are, compared to me (25).

As for me it was the X-men movies (First class).

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

I'm aware this is unlikely to be a popular opinion on here, but I feel that fans who got into the X-Men because they watched a cartoon aren't really as likely to be into semiotics and deep textural analysis of Claremont's themes and more into superficial character "appreciation".

I am thankful that these light entertainment products made the X-Men financially successful but do feel they have had a detrimental effect.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by just another user View Post
    I'm aware this is unlikely to be a popular opinion on here, but I feel that fans who got into the X-Men because they watched a cartoon aren't really as likely to be into semiotics and deep textural analysis of Claremont's themes and more into superficial character "appreciation".

I am thankful that these light entertainment products made the X-Men financially successful but do feel they have had a detrimental effect.
    No, I completely agree. It's the Age of Apocalypse generation. The Onslaught generation. The generation that learned to like 2-Dimensional parodies of the X-Men.

BANNED

It's always nice being the exception.

Spectacular Member SoupStainedTie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IdaqiBeauty View Post
    No, I completely agree. It's the Age of Apocalypse generation. The Onslaught generation. The generation that learned to like 2-Dimensional parodies of the X-Men.
    Strongly disagree with this one.

You can call 90's X-Men a lot of things, but the X-Men of Lobdell and Nicieza were certainly not "2-dimensional parodies." Of course they were no Claremont, but their stories focused on the characters and their growth in ways that have all but vanished from the books today.

For 2-dimensional parodies, look no further than the X-Men of TODAY. Give me the 90's any day over an X-Line filled with directionless books where countless rotating writers give us their often contradicting takes on a handful of characters.

The X-Men comics of Claremont and yes, Lobdell and Nicieza, were about the members of the X-Men. The X-Men comics of today are the about the brand and concept of the X-Men.

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

Whenever I see a thread about eg the movie version of Mystique or something about those cartoons I think to myself, we have a perfectly good TV/Film board - could those threads not have been created there?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SoupStainedTie View Post
    Strongly disagree with this one.

You can call 90's X-Men a lot of things, but the X-Men of Lobdell and Nicieza were certainly not "2-dimensional parodies." Of course they were no Claremont, but their stories focused on the characters and their growth in ways that have all but vanished from the books today.

For 2-dimensional parodies, look no further than the X-Men of TODAY. Give me the 90's any day over an X-Line filled with directionless books where countless rotating writers give us their often contradicting takes on a handful of characters.
    What is Kwannon but a 2-dimensional parody of Psylocke? Just because 90s Jean gave the professor shoulder rubs to provide a "family feel," doesn't mean she was fleshed out.

BANNED

I don't see how someone could say today's comiX aren't character driven and 90s weren't directionless as today's are.

Quote Originally Posted by just another user View Post

There is some truth to that; as it would be of any outside comic variation. TAS did have rather adult themes (for a cartoon) and was based on Claremont's run. Just because something introduced a person to the series doesn't mean they skipped all before it. I might have a fondness over TAS cast compared to say the All-New All-Different cast, but certainly there is more depth to the original material. Claremont will always be the X-Godfather.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Spectacular Member SoupStainedTie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vitamin View Post
    I don't see how someone could say today's comiX aren't character driven and 90s weren't directionless as today's are.
    I guess Marts agrees with you, and hopes you will continue to enjoy Spider-Man & The X-Men, Amazing X-Men, Adjectiveless X-Men, and whatever else they have up their sleeve.

BANNED

Who's X-Godmother? Ann Nocenti or Louise Simonson?