Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Thoughts on Big Hero 6

Hey all. Just wanted to hear your thoughts on the possibility of a Big Hero 6 title. Indeed, here in Hong Kong, the movie has just come out. I watched it today, and needless to say, I felt it was pretty great. It wasn't exactly the next Disney classic mind you, but still, it was great holiday movie comfort food with tons of exciting action and colorful characters. Additionally, while I was watching it, ideas for crossovers started to come to mind. Big Hero 6 making an appearance in an issue of Avengers or Avengers World would be cool. In all honesty, I secretly geek out over the possibility of Big Hero 6 and China's The Ascendant crossing paths. The storyline between them would touch upon a ton of real world issues, as there has always been a tense relationship between China and Japan.

Thus, it came as a huge surprise to me that Marvel hasn't capitalized on this. As Axel Alonso stated in an interview a couple of months ago:

Another thing from the past couple weeks -- last week, Marvel's November 2014 solicitations arrived, and it's been pointed out that's the same month the "Big Hero 6" Disney animated film is scheduled for release, and there was no tie-in material listed. It left people wondering if there are plans for the characters -- so I thought I'd put that question to you. Are there any plans for "Big Hero 6"?

Alonso: There are no plans.

Any particular reason why?

Alonso: The characters and stories that have appeared in our comics are very different from what they are in the film. Releasing material that would be viewed as movie tie-in product would be a disservice to filmgoers. We wanted the Disney folks to be able to create their own unique style and story, unencumbered by those older stories.

Marvel did do some reprints a while ago, when the movie was first being talked about.

Alonso: Yeah, we have a catalog of stuff that we can reprint, but we have no intention of doing anything related to the movie.

Or anything new with those characters?

Alonso: At this stage, no.
    It appears that Marvel didn't want to produce any tie-in's since this movie is pretty different from what they've done before. Producing anything would be confusing for the moviegoer. I've also heard that since the movie was produced by Disney and not by Marvel Studios, Marvel wouldn't be getting as much say or as much money than if they produced it.

All in all, the whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. This could have been a "hit the iron while it's hot" moment for Marvel. It could have been a way for a kinda, sorta, somewhat unknown team to make a big splash in the Marvel Universe. Hopefully in the future this will be remedied, because gosh darn it, I want my Ascendant/Big Hero 6 crossover!

In any case, your thoughts?
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Big Hero 6 sad to say even with the success of the movie. Very few people outside fans of the original minis didn't even know it was a comic book. I own their first appearance and have been a far for years. However, while there has been success with mini series and story lines. The right concept for the team has yet to show up. I do believe now with the success of the movie and with a possible relaunch after Secret Wars that we might see Big Hero 6 have a series again.
    Mooper Films

Extraordinary Member

The Big Hero 6 in the movies are so different from the Big Hero 6 of the comics that they might as well be two different properties.

Imagine a little kid wanting more movie Big Hero 6 somehow getting his hands on the Sunfire and Big Hero 6 trade.

That is gonna be one pissed off kid.

And if Marvel changed the 616 Big Hero 6 to match the Disney version you would never hear the end of it around here.

I liked the movie, but I also liked quite a lot the comics version of the team (found the last Chris Claremont mini a bit boring). I sure would buy a Trade collecting all their previous appearences (there aren't all that many).

Peace

BANNED

They very least Marvel could have done was make an adaptation of the Movie and/or a mini-series based upon that world of the movie to make it different than the comics. I mean it's either those ideas or have some variant covers spotlight menbers of hte team like they did for all their other Marvel films.

I thought the Disney version improved upon the concept of the team. They went from one dimensional Japanese stereotypes to fully fledged diverse characters. Yeah, the team is not fully Japanese anymore but I like that they have colorful personalities and avert stereotypes associated with their race. I fully agreed that they made Honey Lemon Hispanic because her original origins of being a Japanese woman who looked European reeked of unfortunate implications.

BANNED

I don't buy into the Asian stereotype label.

Its funny the most people that claim the work is stereotypical aren't Asian. I mean are super hero teams that are led by super smart, rich Anglo-saxons stereotypical?

But back to the series...I've seen the Movie and its closer to Chris Claremont's mini-series then Sun-fire & Big Hero6. I hope Disney produces a Big Hero 6 ongoing or allow Marvel to do a movie adapted version.

Written by Chris Claremont and drawn by David Nakayama

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Alonso: The characters and stories that have appeared in our comics are very different from what they are in the film. Releasing material that would be viewed as movie tie-in product would be a disservice to filmgoers. We wanted the Disney folks to be able to create their own unique style and story, unencumbered by those older stories.
    You mean, like most of the Marvel comics book are different from the movies, like Cap and Thor and Tony? Like the X-Men and the FF? Like Ghostrider and Spider-Man?

It's no wonder why movie goerers don't buy comics, since editorial thinks they are easily confused and too dumb to realize comics are different from movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    You mean, like most of the Marvel comics book are different from the movies, like Cap and Thor and Tony? Like the X-Men and the FF? Like Ghostrider and Spider-Man?

It's no wonder why movie goerers don't buy comics, since editorial thinks they are easily confused and too dumb to realize comics are different from movies.
    The differences aren't as deep as they are with the BH6 comics. There are certain story details and cosmetic details that differ in the movies but the BH6 movie changed everything from the races, personalities and origins to the country where the story takes place.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The differences aren't as deep as they are with the BH6 comics. There are certain story details and cosmetic details that differ in the movies but the BH6 movie changed everything from the races, personalities and origins to the country where the story takes place.
    I agree. Avengers had Hawkeye as a circus performer. Iron Man was captured by the Vietnamese. The Avengers were formed by Nick Fury. No origins were changed or locales.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    They changed the race of Nick Fury and Ghost Rider. They changed the gender of Thor. They changed the personality of Iron Man. The age of the FF and their origin is different from the movies. Granted, they are trying to make the 616 more like the MCU, but Alonso's 'reason' is counter to several decisions made with other characters that are in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    I agree. Avengers had Hawkeye as a circus performer. Iron Man was captured by the Vietnamese. The Avengers were formed by Nick Fury. No origins were changed or locales.
    Every single one of those changes you mentioned were something that had some kind of basis in published works. There IS a black Nick Fury there IS a universe where Hawkeye is a black-ops SHIELD agent rather than a circus performer, and Warren Ellis' Extremis (which was pretty much the basis for the origin scenes of the movie) already updated it to the Middle East instead of Vietnam. And the upcoming FF reboot is explicitly said to be inspired by the Ultimate Fantastic Four series.

Which means if you're trying to cross promote them and get the people who saw the movie to read the comics there's actual stuff you can give them that's close to the movies. Whereas if you're trying to look at the published history of the Big Hero 6 there's nothing out there remotely close to the movie.
    Last edited by Holt; 12-28-2014 at 05:57 PM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I can see a BH6 series but not under the Marvel imprint, even though Disney's other printed IP use the Marvel logo, just to set it apart.

And my impression the Disney BH6 is in an alt-Earth which seems apart from the rest of the Marvel Multiverse.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

I definitely get the feeling that whatever series Big Hero 6 gets it will be apart from the MU. They'll probably be more likely to get a TV series than a comic though. I'd be OK with that.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

On the side, Disney Japan has a manga adaptation of the movie, which does diverge from it in key scenes. Issue #0 is a prequel set before the movie as it shows Hiro being born and the Tadashi parents still alive. If you can read Japanese, check it out at:

http://disney-studio.jp/movienexclub...ibn_PCnexcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    They'll probably be more likely to get a TV series than a comic though. I'd be OK with that.
    Yep, many fans have discussed that. Disney might do short animations for BH6 to be played before its other movies, or a TV mini-series that gives each member of the team the spotlight in turn, and probably a prequel to satisfy the legions of brokenhearted Tadashi fans.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES