Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Hingle was fine but honestly he just seemed like a regular police commissioner than Gordon to me. Watching Batman Returns/Forever/B&R ( I never saw the first Batman until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding) as a kid I genuinely had no idea that was the same Gordon in B:tAS.

Oldman was perfect, yeah. Not quite as good as JK Simmons' Jonah when it comes to nailing that supporting character, but great.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Hingle was fine but honestly he just seemed like a regular police commissioner than Gordon to me. Watching Batman Returns/Forever/B&R ( I never saw the first Batman until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding) as a kid I genuinely had no idea that was the same Gordon in B:tAS.

Oldman was perfect, yeah. Not quite as good as JK Simmons' Jonah when it comes to nailing that supporting character, but great.
    Oldman was like Gordon out of the comics and Miller's stories you know.

Absolutely nailed the casting of him. To echo the sentiments of many others, when you casting someone of his caliber there is no question that role is locked down.
    My Top 5 Comic Books I am reading are:

1. Velvet
    2. Black Magick
    3. Kill or Be Killed
    4. Lazarus
    5. The Fix

Mighty Member

When this movie was in production, who was excited about him in the role?

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    When this movie was in production, who was excited about him in the role?
    Before I saw The Dark Knight in theaters, I was really excited going into it and knowing that Gary Oldman was playing Gordon. I knew right off the bat he was going to do a phenomenal job. I confess I still haven't seen Batman Begins so TDK was my first film in the Nolan trilogy.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Mighty Member

Whoa you saw TDK without seeing BB? how odd.

aka "The Watchdog" 8BitRedBeard's Avatar

Oldman is the BEST portrayal of Jim Gordon. Ben McKenzie is doing a great job of young Gordo but Oldman is the BEST overall.
    "With great power comes great responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by weezer17 View Post
    I'm not sure how everyone else feels, but I for one agree. I think he was a terrific fit for the part, and I would've liked to see more of him as Gordon.
    I would love to have seen more of him as Gordon, and he, I think, was the best supporting character in those films. Nolan seemed to change a good deal of Batman Mythology to put in his hyper-realism Nolanverse, but Gordon didn't need to be changed at all, because he was already such a plain, yet strong character. Gary Oldman was perfect for this role.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by I_Wumbo_You_Wumbo View Post
    I would love to have seen more of him as Gordon, and he, I think, was the best supporting character in those films. Nolan seemed to change a good deal of Batman Mythology to put in his hyper-realism Nolanverse, but Gordon didn't need to be changed at all, because he was already such a plain, yet strong character. Gary Oldman was perfect for this role.
    I so agree.

Fantastic Member

I didn't realise at first that Gary Oldman was going to be Gordon. When I heard that his name was linked with Begins, I assumed he'd be a villain. I don't know why, I always see him as a villain. Leon, Fifth Element and others may have coloured my perception on that. Then I heard he was to be Jim Gordon, and I genuinely thought it a waste of talent.

And then I saw Begins.

Sublime casting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Hingle was a fine, fine character actor who always excelled in anything he did. I have been a fan of his ever since John Carpenter's Elvis when he played Colonel Tom Parker. Still, I agree he couldn't top Oldman.
    Hingle was a superb character actor - I remember his cameo in The Grifters.

The reason he isn't particularly memorable as Gordon is that those films don't really focus on Gordon in any way. The Nolan films do, and therefore Oldman has more opportunities to shine.

Oldman is a good actor, of course, but like most people who've been in lots of films, he's given the occasional bad performance. Only Peter Cushing had the ability to be good in anything

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

At first I found Oldman's performance of Gordon to be somewhat unhinged. Later on, I introspectively realized that Oldman's Gordon was behaving exactly how a real cop would in a scenario where he's constantly being pitted against terrorists and freaks. It then became hard not to admire what he was doing with the character.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    Oldman is a good actor, of course, but like most people who've been in lots of films, he's given the occasional bad performance. Only Peter Cushing had the ability to be good in anything
    Cushing was indeed great. The funny thing about him was that he loved musicals the most of all the movie genres, yet it's almost impossible to picture him being in one himself.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

He was perfect. I read all of Gordon's dialogue with his voice.
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force