ksharx

Default Climate Controlled Comic Box

Hi everyone, I'm new here to both the forums, and comic collecting & reading as well. I've been doing some searching around looking for info on the best ways to preserve comics for the long haul, and have come to the conclusion that temperature, humidity, oxygen, acid and light, are all the enemies of paper preservation.

I've been having some thoughts about building a box that would be electronically controlled to maintain the perfect conditions for keeping my comics in the best possible condition for the longest time. To cut to the chase, I have a few questions I was hoping someone could clarify:

1.What is the name of the gas the paper will give off that makes comics deteriorate faster, and is there any way to capture , or filter it out of a storage container?(carbon filters?)

2.What is the effect of oxygen on the paper and with the gas? Will removing the presence of oxygen increase the lifespan of a comic?

3.Will creating a vacuum sealed chamber, devoid of oxygen and continuously filtered of harmful gases, kept at a cool temperature with ideal humidity conditions help, or harm, the storage of comics in the long run?

I've heard one theory that comics in a vacuum will deteriorate faster because the harmful gases are pulled from it quicker leading to a shorter lifespan.

Thanks for your help!

Spectacular Member marvelmaniac6169's Avatar

Welcome To CBR!!!

I cannot answer all of your questions however...

IMO you are over thinking the whole process.
    You will Never stop all deterioration and instability of the books/paper, you can only hope to slow it to a minimum.
    Comic Books from the 40's,50s, 60's, 70's, 80's were printed on Newspaper which is not very stable or strong and the inks used in printing are acidic so basically the book and paper start the deterioration process as soon as they are printed.
    (newer books have better paper and better printing processes)

UV and other forms of light cause chemical reactions that add to the deterioration, large swings of temperature/humidity cause chemical reactions as the paper expands/contracts and absorbs/loses moisture.
    Storing books in Plastic or Polyethylene Bags will also cause damage since these bags are made form unstable materials and break down causing acids to be produced that destroy the paper.

Using common sense will help your collection last for years and years.
    Storing your books in Mylar(Inert Archival Comic Storage Bags) with Acid Free/PH Correct Boards in Comic Boxes will keep them from being exposed to Light, Atmospheric/Environmental Contaminants, Insects, Rodents, etc.
    As long as you do not store them in a garage, attic, basement the normal in home HVAC environment should be fine since it will generally be about 70 degrees all year round using the heat and A/C and should hinder the growth of Fungus or Mold.
    If you really want to get technical wear Latex or Nitrile Gloves when handling the books so you do not get acids from your hands on the paper.

One thing I have done for years is to allow a book to sit out in a closet(not be bagged)for a couple of days so the paper adjusts to its new environment before being placed in Mylar.

Whatever you choose to do remember comics are made to be read and enjoyed.