Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Avengers & X-Men: AXIS, #9

Written by Rick Remender with no less than nine folks helping out on art, "Avengers & X-Men: AXIS" #9 puts a cap on Marvel's winter event.

Full review here.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

While this event was overall quite poor, this was actually one of the series's good issues. Not great, but good. The other two good issues were issues 2 and 7, FYI.

Using Sabretooth as the "main" character of the issue was pretty brilliant, and I'm glad he didn't kill off a buncha characters for shock value or "stakes raising." It also ran at a decent clip and wrapped things up well.

The art, honestly, was the biggest knock on this issue. I know they had an army of pencilers and inkers on this issue, and it was pretty much a mess. Yeah, you'd have a good page every now and then, but it was pretty sloppy overall.

Expounding on the Sabretooth inversion (as he's one of my favorite characters), I could hug Rick Remender for finally giving him a solid sense of direction. Ever since he was brought back to life, his status has kind of been a mess. He was running Madripoor some places, working under Mystique elsewhere and helping the Hellfire brats somewhere else. If nothing else, Axis gave the character a bright future, and, with Remender putting him on his next Uncanny Avengers squad, he'll be well taken care of. Definitely looking forward to where Remender takes him.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

What's the second title to be launched referring to? Uncanny avengers mark 2 and ??
    "Self has no time for this."

Amazing Member

I read #9 today. I wish Remender would stop writing.

I agree with this score. I think 2.5 out of 5 is about right. This arc isn't terrible. I think people are giving it way too bad a rap. But it's not great either. It's rushed, it's forced, and it lacks characterization. It still has some great moments with Iron Man, Carnage, and the Red Skull. But it really was unrefined and lacking in way too many areas. I think maybe it would've helped if it had been longer or broken up into two different events. But as it stands, it's just painfully mediocre.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I found myself unable to decide which of the 3 last crossovers had the worst plot of all. All 3 (AXIS, Original Sin and Age of Ultron) had so many plotholes, lack of pace, a rushed ending and bad writing, I just cannot pick which one was worse.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

For me all the recent Marvel events were disappointing.

Original Sin > Axis > Fear Itself > Age of Ultron

I'd be nice if Marvel allowed its writers to continue their stories without forcing it into an event. I wonder how many of these events would actually be better if they were self-contained within one or two titles.
    Buffy . Saga . Wicked & Divine . East of West . Magneto . Daredevil . Secret Avengers . She Hulk . Elektra . Black Widow . Ms Marvel . Thor