Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Nova, #25

Steve Rogers comes to Carefree, Arizona to have a conversation with Sam Alexander in "Nova" #25, written by Gerry Duggan and drawn by David Baldeon.

Full review here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Steve Rogers comes to Carefree, Arizona to have a conversation with Sam Alexander in "Nova" #25, written by Gerry Duggan and drawn by David Baldeon.

Full review here.
    I have not chimed in on these boards for a while, but once again one of these reviews drag me back in.

I think the review is well written from a grammar and structure point of view, but really...it is so far off on content its not even funny.

Good writing should mention the viable counter point, especially when it is so obvious. There are a lot of counter points this piece fails to address, thus comes of as disingenuous. Surely the writer is aware of the controversy and low sales of this book. Surely, the writer is aware that certain events will (and should ) be compared to experiences of the former, "fan favorite" Nova Richard Rider. While I agree it would be , in theory, nice if we could move on from this...unfortunately is we can't ..this book still attempts to "string out" loyal Rider fans searching for scraps of the DnA era (yet claim they are not) , still attempts to jab and insult them (yet claims they are not), and still is stuck in a miasma of going nowhere and not advancing (or properly resolving) several of the plot points it has set up during the past 25+ issues (Sam "doesn't belong" per Phoenix, father story, Finding the Nova Corps, Richard Rider, True source of black Nova Force, Etc..).

The book itself mentions Rider and the recent GOTG arc, so this is certainly on topic. It also re hashes its own clunky notion that Jesse Alexander, whoever he is, was some sort of Nova AFTER Rider, which is either a goof or another case of this book contradicting either itself or 616 lore.

Baldeon's art...is niche at best. Its heavy manga ish and not for everybody. He draws Nova in an exaggerated tawny scrawny helpless look that drags down the content. (or uplifts it if your into the child soldier motif) Once again, even if this is your bag, its really strange not to mention it. (I'm not even going to go into the child soldier stuff, which I've always thought was valid and how this effects the book)

Not to mention, the big spoiler moment the review mentions w/ Captain America is and will be a sore subject for most Rider fans. Even Bendis threw a dagger in this when he did his recent "yup he's gone" arc. its not good writing to not mention that stuff and therefore this really does come off as one sided and promotional.

CBR does not have to take some wild side in the RR vs Sam debate....it would be cool if they did support Rich, but I understand why they don't....but it at least would be cool if they kept the debate alive. Otherwise we Rider fans get Genis-Velled and forgotten. Its actually responsible journalism to acknowledge these things...even if you take the counter point. As a result, this piece comes off as some sort of propaganda I'm afraid.
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 12-29-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Mighty Member

Not only that, but there is a long precedent in the Avengers for not having minors on the main team (sort of alluded to in the issue). I also HATED the way Jarvis was drawn. When did he get a mustache???

These Nova threads are hilariously predictable LOL.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    These Nova threads are hilariously predictable LOL.
    To the point that I hardly bother posting in them LOL.

When did Carnage come back? And is this the first time we've seen the computer Jarvis in the 616?

Not even one post in and someone complains about how this isn't the old Rich Rider series.

I for one am enjoying this book and I also am a Richard Rider fan so no problems for me except for the art.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard2099 View Post
    I for one am enjoying this book and I also am a Richard Rider fan so no problems for me except for the art.
    Good to hear that you enjoy the book. I agree about the art. It hasn't been the best in the last few issues for me but for the most part it's usually good, hopefully the next issue will have better art (well at least to my personal taste lol).

Amazing Member

I actually really liked the issue. This series is one of the books I look forward to each month. I know it's not Richard Rider, but I still like it very much.

I thought this was a very thoughtful review and was glad that the pencils, inks, colors and even letters were discussed in the review. It's a collaboration with some top notch folks. Thanks to everybody that's reading, and I think you'll enjoy the next few chapters, too. Cheers, Gerry

Amazing Member

Is this title as good as the DnA Richard Ryder Nova? No, but before DnA, Richard Ryder was not well written. This title is actually better than most of the volumes of Nova that have come before.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Not only that, but there is a long precedent in the Avengers for not having minors on the main team (sort of alluded to in the issue). I also HATED the way Jarvis was drawn. When did he get a mustache???
    They completely addressed that in story.

One, Sam is only a PROVISIONAL member with full offica membership being conferred on him when he becomes 18. If there was an still an Avengers Acedemy book, Sam would probably have ended up there.

Two, Steve made only Sam a member so that he would be more apt to call for help as opposed to running off half cocked as he did against Kluh.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    They completely addressed that in story.

One, Sam is only a PROVISIONAL member with full offica membership being conferred on him when he becomes 18. If there was an still an Avengers Acedemy book, Sam would probably have ended up there.

Two, Steve made only Sam a member so that he would be more apt to call for help as opposed to running off half cocked as he did against Kluh.
    I did read the book. You'll note that this provisional membership was never offered to Rage way back when, and he was just as impulsive as Sam. Granted the time was different (pre-Stamford), but the analogy is the same.

I like issue 25 and look forward to the next NOVA (Sam Alexander) issue. Nova is the one comic I follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vak; 02-22-2015 at 07:45 PM.