Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman's All Star Dark Knight

I was thinking why Wonder Woman has not her own "Dark Knight" kind of story. I mean, a not necesary in continuity story which take the character to the extreme and reveals the most basic elements which made her click. The essence of Wonder Woman. Batman has Dark Knight, Superman has All Star, but Wonder Woman most close aproximation to that is in Kingdom Come. But that is not only her story. I was thinking in a Wonder WOman story, not a DC Universe story.
    Or there is already such story? Hiketeia? Amazonia? Azzarello's run? Perez' run? Which would be your take instead?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I was thinking why Wonder Woman has not her own "Dark Knight" kind of story. I mean, a not necesary in continuity story which take the character to the extreme and reveals the most basic elements which made her click. The essence of Wonder Woman. Batman has Dark Knight, Superman has All Star, but Wonder Woman most close aproximation to that is in Kingdom Come. But that is not only her story. I was thinking in a Wonder WOman story, not a DC Universe story.
    Or there is already such story? Hiketeia? Amazonia? Azzarello's run? Perez' run? Which would be your take instead?
    I'd say Perez run. The Hiketeia could also count as well. It even has Diana fighting another hero.

BANNED

Kingdom Come is far away from being a good characterization for WW, even Waid admitted that.

Hiketea is a one shot, out of continuity, that fits more a 'dark knight"

Fantastic Member

She hasn't had it yet. People are hoping the Morrison one-shot will be something like it. I would agree however the Kingdom Come is not it. Nor is Perez.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Hiketia probably comes the closest so far. Morrison's upcoming book might make the grade.

Ultimate Member

There was actually supposed to be an AllStar WW by Adam Hughes but the project got cancelled.

Hiketia might come close but part of me feels it's a Wonder Woman/Batman story as opposed to WONDER WOMAN story if that makes sense.

Perhaps Spirit of Truth by Pini/Ross could work. But that's more about the concept of Wonder Woman rather than the mythos of Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Like others have said: the Hiketeia is the closest we've had so far, and even it isn't a perfect match.

Morrison's book MAY be what we're hoping for, but I'll confess that I have my doubts. I have never enjoyed a Morrison book in my life, and I have severe doubts that this book will be any different. Still, I must hold out hope that maybe just ONCE, Morrison could be prevailed upon to write a coherent story that doesn't leave me wanting to bash my own brains out against the nearest available wall.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Like others have said: the Hiketeia is the closest we've had so far, and even it isn't a perfect match.

Morrison's book MAY be what we're hoping for, but I'll confess that I have my doubts. I have never enjoyed a Morrison book in my life, and I have severe doubts that this book will be any different. Still, I must hold out hope that maybe just ONCE, Morrison could be prevailed upon to write a coherent story that doesn't leave me wanting to bash my own brains out against the nearest available wall.
    We know you're hope is not to be. I doubt this Morrison book will be unlike his others.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    We know you're hope is not to be. I doubt this Morrison book will be unlike his others.
    Thanks. Appreciate the vote of confidence.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Fantastic Member

The Hiketeia was about the concept of Hiketeia, something Rucka attached to Wonder Woman for the sake of a story. It has nothing to do with what Wonder Woman stands for, overall. It's not like she's sitting there at her embassy waiting for people to come appeal to her against the furies.

That's the problem of most of these Wonder Woman projects. It's more about saying, "What if wonder Woman..." -- as opposed to looking at Wonder Woman herself.

Hasn't been written yet. I don't even vaguely consider the Hiketeia to be honest. To be even more perfectly honest though I feel Rucka's Wonder Woman is extraordinarily overrated anyway.

Hopefully Morrison can write it. He can write non "out-there" concepts. The first arc in his Action run was completely without any of the high-concept stuff (and even if his second arc went into it, it wasn't nearly as out there as his Batman run or anything). So I'm hoping his WW story will be something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    The Hiketeia was about the concept of Hiketeia, something Rucka attached to Wonder Woman for the sake of a story. It has nothing to do with what Wonder Woman stands for, overall. It's not like she's sitting there at her embassy waiting for people to come appeal to her against the furies.

That's the problem of most of these Wonder Woman projects. It's more about saying, "What if wonder Woman..." -- as opposed to looking at Wonder Woman herself.
    > Looked up Hiketeia on Amazon
    > 50$ min for book

Everytime
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Rucka's Diana was all about "duty." She never seemed to be doing what she wanted to do. She always seemed to be much more doing what she felt she needed to do. Either because Athena ordered her to or, in the case of The Hiketea, because of some code of conduct. As such, the Rucka WW never really resonated with me as she seemed to be devoid of self determination. She did what she had to do, whether she wanted to or not. Not my ideal for the primary super heroine in comics.

I have high hopes for Morisson's book, even though I was not a fan of his take on her in JLA (or indeed Paquette's tenure on the book).
    That he admits that he never understood the character before.
    That he has done a lot of research
    That he says that it is unlike anything he has ever written
    That he mentions Steve Trevor's importance
    That he has never used the term "bad ass"
    That Paquette is not rushing through the art
    That it is all going to be published together

Those are all at least cause for optimism.

Mighty Member

I think Azzarello and Chiang's story made great use of the contradictions (mercy being strength/weakness etc.), and I'm quite sure Morrison will be able to tap into some great concepts.

The trial of Diana in his book is already an very interesting concept. Something that undoubtedly will give him alot of flack, since it'll involve alot of feministic ideas and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Hopefully Morrison can write it. He can write non "out-there" concepts. The first arc in his Action run was completely without any of the high-concept stuff (and even if his second arc went into it, it wasn't nearly as out there as his Batman run or anything). So I'm hoping his WW story will be something like that.
    I recently revisited Morrison's N52 Action Comics book, and early on/in I kept thinking how much I'd like if he wrote his Wonder Woman that way. Very inclusive about gold and silver era stuff. Perhaps he'll write his Wonder Woman closer to Allstar Superman or Flex Mentallo.

Either way. Can't wait to read his Wonder Woman. Especially since writing her has surprised him and taken his writing to new places, similar to how Azzarello and Pérez (who even wrote her a letter about it.) felt writing her.

BANNED

The closest is League of One, imo, and if that wasn't billed as a JLA story, that might have been held up as "it."