Page 73 of 75 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1124

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    Here's basically how "Traitor Game: The Novel" works. Everyone creates an original character (possibly more than one, depending on the number of people involved). Al suggested we might also use public domain characters. Together, we come up with a scenario we like. (Me and Al worked on one, but I want this to be collaborative.) Ideally, we could agree/compromise to include the things we think are most essential to a good, interesting, fun game.

I feel like we'd have to forego prologues--jump straight into the story and fill in backstories as we go, either via flashback or conversation. Instead of acting autonomously, if there's something you want your character to do that effects other characters or the setting, you throw your ideas out there and we offer a general sense of approval, possibly helping with the details. Al suggested, and I think this is a good idea, that over the course of the game we visit each of the worlds of the characters involved.
    Clarify, please. Should these discussions be carried out in character, out of character, or both? For example, will it be the player or the character who says, "I'd like to do this; what do you think?" Will anyone have the right to veto someone else's idea? If we combine the TG and the Bullpen, as I believe someone suggested (on Facebook?) there may be a lot of switching back and forth between IC and OOC. IMHO that could become a bit confusing.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    Clarify, please. Should these discussions be carried out in character, out of character, or both? For example, will it be the player or the character who says, "I'd like to do this; what do you think?" Will anyone have the right to veto someone else's idea? If we combine the TG and the Bullpen, as I believe someone suggested (on Facebook?) there may be a lot of switching back and forth between IC and OOC. IMHO that could become a bit confusing.
    Discussions about the game we could do here or via PM. Little things, like interactions between characters, can be worked out between the people writing those characters--like how in the comic book industry, people would write a character in a crossover after being given notes by the writer of the character's ongoing.

Not one person would the right to veto, no. I'm not even sure what there would be to veto, but it's an experiment, so I guess we'd find out. I imagine anything we have in mind that might meet with objection can be fixed with collaboration or compromise.

I don't see why not. Do we count them as one unit? Like, if they get chosen to be a Traitor, is it both, or only one?
    They'd be counted as one unit. They're kinda like siblings. Would/could we send a write up?
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    They'd be counted as one unit. They're kinda like siblings. Would/could we send a write up?
    Sure. Just post it here.

Discussions about the game we could do here or via PM. Little things, like interactions between characters, can be worked out between the people writing those characters--like how in the comic book industry, people would write a character in a crossover after being given notes by the writer of the character's ongoing.

Not one person would the right to veto, no. I'm not even sure what there would be to veto, but it's an experiment, so I guess we'd find out. I imagine anything we have in mind that might meet with objection can be fixed with collaboration or compromise.
    So we still do our conspiring via PM? Do we still have an all-powerful Gamemaster?

So we still do our conspiring via PM? Do we still have an all-powerful Gamemaster?
    Yes. Traitors think up kills/voting tactics via PM. Yes, there's still an all-powerful Gamemaster--GilgaM.E.S.H., if we keep the current scenario--that would be scripted by someone. Though, in theory, that someone could play a separate player-character who could be a Traitor.

Yes. Traitors think up kills/voting tactics via PM. Yes, there's still an all-powerful Gamemaster--GilgaM.E.S.H., if we keep the current scenario--that would be scripted by someone. Though, in theory, that someone could play a separate player-character who could be a Traitor.
    I take it the 'Gilga' in GilgaM.E.S.H. is just meaningless, something put in by the creator just to make a reference to a classical story.

So how does this TG differ from previous games?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lang View Post
    I take it the 'Gilga' in GilgaM.E.S.H. is just meaningless, something put in by the creator just to make a reference to a classical story.
    So how does this TG differ from previous games?
    The only way I view this game as being different from previous games is that it's less chaotic.

Sherlock Holmes and John Carter are having a conversation. After John asks a question, Phantom Lady chimes in--commenting on the conversation or directly talking to one of the participants. Meanwhile, a separate conversation between Bugs Bunny and Bruce Banner leads to Banner Hulking out and causing a ruckus.

The person playing Holmes might, all in one post, reply to John, comment back at Phantom Lady, and remarks on the Hulk rampage.

Then, the person playing John replies to Holmes' reply, and decides to help stop the Hulk.

Then, the person playing Phantom Lady replies to Holmes' comment, and acknowledges the fight with the Hulk, but stands aside.

Then the Hulk rampage is stopped. But the posters playing John Carter, Sherlock Holmes, and Phantom Lady all continue the conversation as if it had never stopped--as if there never had been that break to deal with the Hulk. Then, the host declares that the players are transported to another world. The person playing Phantom Lady wraps up the conversations by having her state that they'll come back to this later if they can--it seems they're all about to leave.

Narratively, where does the conversation take place? It should be before the Hulk fight, but since the conversation never stopped, the story looks like it split. It might be possible to make it all fit, but some editing would be needed.

The reason for this is that we tell the Traitor Game in a reactive style--we want to be a part of that conversation because we had something to say and want to get one more word in, we want to reference calamities that arise elsewhere in the scene, and we want to interact with the story--but doing so can lead to some contradictions. However, if we work together, we can streamline the story and make it all work--edit events before we post or edit as we go to make a cohesive narrative.

The only way I view this game as being different from previous games is that it's less chaotic.

Sherlock Holmes and John Carter are having a conversation. After John asks a question, Phantom Lady chimes in--commenting on the conversation or directly talking to one of the participants. Meanwhile, a separate conversation between Bugs Bunny and Bruce Banner leads to Banner Hulking out and causing a ruckus.

The person playing Holmes might, all in one post, reply to John, comment back at Phantom Lady, and remarks on the Hulk rampage.

Then, the person playing John replies to Holmes' reply, and decides to help stop the Hulk.

Then, the person playing Phantom Lady replies to Holmes' comment, and acknowledges the fight with the Hulk, but stands aside.

Then the Hulk rampage is stopped. But the posters playing John Carter, Sherlock Holmes, and Phantom Lady all continue the conversation as if it had never stopped--as if there never had been that break to deal with the Hulk. Then, the host declares that the players are transported to another world. The person playing Phantom Lady wraps up the conversations by having her state that they'll come back to this later if they can--it seems they're all about to leave.

Narratively, where does the conversation take place? It should be before the Hulk fight, but since the conversation never stopped, the story looks like it split. It might be possible to make it all fit, but some editing would be needed.

The reason for this is that we tell the Traitor Game in a reactive style--we want to be a part of that conversation because we had something to say and want to get one more word in, we want to reference calamities that arise elsewhere in the scene, and we want to interact with the story--but doing so can lead to some contradictions. However, if we work together, we can streamline the story and make it all work--edit events before we post or edit as we go to make a cohesive narrative.
    To be honest, I am a bit skeptical as to how it can work. The sort of thing you describe is basically a facet of forum-based RPGs that's kind of hard to get around.

I understand completely what you're talking about. One need look no further than THIS scene from Traitor Game 43: Restless in Rapture to get an idea of how it's hard to tell just when certain lines of dialogue and certain actions happen. I mean, there we have Olympia and Fabian engaging in conversation when a Splicer appears, followed by people's actions against it. It can be a bit confusing knowing which dialogue goes where, since Archer also responds to a remark from Olympia as if the fight with the Splicer was going on in the background at the same time. (Fabian, however, does get a great line after the confrontation recalling Olympia's joking about vengeful spirits before the Splicer showed up).

What you're proposing is an interesting idea - trying to make a more cohesive, novel-like narrative (as opposed to being more like a comic book crossover mini-series and its tie-in issues showing the same scenes from different angles with different dialogue). But I think it could be really tricky to pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lang View Post
    To be honest, I am a bit skeptical as to how it can work. The sort of thing you describe is basically a facet of forum-based RPGs that's kind of hard to get around.

I understand completely what you're talking about. One need look no further than THIS scene from Traitor Game 43: Restless in Rapture to get an idea of how it's hard to tell just when certain lines of dialogue and certain actions happen. I mean, there we have Olympia and Fabian engaging in conversation when a Splicer appears, followed by people's actions against it. It can be a bit confusing knowing which dialogue goes where, since Archer also responds to a remark from Olympia as if the fight with the Splicer was going on in the background at the same time. (Fabian, however, does get a great line after the confrontation recalling Olympia's joking about vengeful spirits before the Splicer showed up).

What you're proposing is an interesting idea - trying to make a more cohesive, novel-like narrative (as opposed to being more like a comic book crossover mini-series and its tie-in issues showing the same scenes from different angles with different dialogue). But I think it could be really tricky to pull off.
    An excellent example, yeah.

It shouldn't be too tricky. We write like normal, collaborate like normal, and then a contradiction comes up, edit the posts. Work together to form a cohesive narrative.

Also, Al thought it would be a good idea (and I agree) is that we visit each character's universe throughout the game. So, the person who crafted that universe would largely be in control that round. It's sort've similar, I guess, to what we did a little of within the most recent game, but less artifact-hunting, and greater space to devote to the inner workings of that reality.

Sure. Just post it here.
    Okay, will do tomorrow!

Once I've decided on them <_<

Or Sunday cause I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!
    Last edited by Froggy; 06-12-2016 at 01:44 AM.

Websters defines utopia as an imagined place or state where things are perfect. I for one know it wasn't imaginary, or well the voice in my head does, but that's a long story...

Dahlia Marquez was an ordinary recent college graduate from the University of California with a degree in Anthropology. Orphaned at a young age and adopted by her grandma, she decided to visit her grandmother's home before heading out for summer vacation when she realized she had arrived too soon. Thinking her grandmother was engaged in some strange role play with people wearing brightly colored cloaks, she was about to step out when her grandmother caressed her face and she fell asleep. Dahlia later woke up in the basement of some building on a slab and saw her grandmother smiling at her while others chanted. She tried to move her arms but found she couldn't move them at all! Some translucent chains were holding her down to the slab.

"Hola, nieta" her grandmother said.

"Grandma, what the heLL is going on? Who are these people what are they gonna do to me? I know I haven't visited in a while but this is a major overreaction!" she ranted, panicking. Dahlia's grandmother cupped her chin ahd caressed her cheek.

"Something special my dear, nothing bad. You are to be the special child I know you to be. I can hear the song in your heart and it perfectly resonates with the rhythm of his spirit, the resonance of his essence. You are a perfect vessel, nieta" she told Dahlia. Before Dahlia could even ask what she was talking about, a brightly colored plumage of holographic feathers winded around above her at blinding speeds. She looked up at it in awe and fear, while her grandmother seemed to speak to it with reverence and humility. The winding feathers then showed a reptilian , yet beautiful face with bright eyes and sharp teeth that plunged right into her chest. As it hit her, Dahlia blacked out and only heard one thing:

"I have another chance" it said. As she blacked out, Dahlia found herself in a garden amidst a desert. In the garden stood a man, or whatever it was she saw earlier. He had dark brown skin underneath what appeared to be a crown and helmet shaped like the mouth of a snake, golden eyes that shined through the mask and wore a bright, vibrant multicolored coat that shone all over, draped over his body like that of a great king. As he lifted up the crown-helmet, she saw his face and he was..beautiful, strikingly so. Dahlia reflexively looked away and the man laughed a harmonic chuckle.

"Hello, Dahlia" he said.

"Hel-wait, how do you know my name? Who are you? Where are we?" she asked him.

"I should answer those questions, least I could do. I know your name because I knew your parents, grandparents and ancestors, your entire bloodline when I first step foot into the Americas. I have had many names over the ages, Quetzalcoatl, Kukulcan, Kajura, Dhakkan, Yurlunggur, Light-bearer and so many more. You may call me The Serpent though, and we are inside your mind, in a memory of mine. The garden around us is Eden, before the fall" he said, out stretching his hands and pointing out the people flying around the tree that seemed to stretch into the sky. The tree did not look like any kind of normal tree though, wires and runes running up and down it all over.

"What you just experienced is something called possession my dear mortal, and you have given me another chance to right my wrongs and to help educate humanity on the Cosmic Harmonic" he told her. Dahlia would see people flying and floating overhead, being's adorned in bright armor and fantastical colors patrolling the outskirts of the garden.

"Those names, are you saying you're a god? Gods exist? Does God exist? Cosmic Harmonic? Harmony..wait, granny was talking about resonance and rhythm. Sorry this is just, this is unreal you know?" she asked him.

"This is very real, Dahlia. I was considered a god, centuries ago before I was cast off, my mortal coil dispersed and reduced to this form, a memetic wraith made this way by the greed of my supposed peers!" he said, his soothing voice sounding jagged, sharp, like a rough guitar solo as he turned away. As quickly as he was upset, he calmed himself and looked back at her.

"Sorry, old grudges die hard you could say. Gods as you know them were like your super heroes, empowered beings who innately or consciously manipulate the song of the universe, the Cosmic Harmonic. Your Champion, your Mr. Glass, Miss Mercury, Father Superior, Annex, Deviant, Res, and so many more. You could liken them to gods but take it from someone who knows , Pride always goes before the fall" he told her with a knowing smile, one that did not reach all the way across his face.

"As for God?..no comment my dear. Now, the reason I chose you as your host with help from your fabulous abuela Marciela, is that I see this age, age of heroes as another chance to right wrongs and make amends for my past mistakes. To uplift humanity to the knowledge of their true, fantastic potential. With you as my avatar, you will be host to a bevy of incredible abilities and fight against the enemies of humankind. I will also offer you the knowledge and wisdom of ages past , which considering you studied humanity at your university would be a very splendid boon to your life" he said, folding his arms and inserting them into the feathery robes.

"So, what do you say? Do we have a deal?" he asked her.

"Hm, just one question, you can't leave right? You're stuck in me?"

"Yes dear, until you wish to cast off this mortal coil. I've been attached to each of my hosts, though I can tell we'll get along fabulously considering your sense of style my dear" he said with a wink.

"Heh, okay, deal it is. To be honest I'm just glad I didn't get butchered by my granny on some Cold Case stu-WHOAH!" she said as the dream ended and Dahlia woke up. She saw her grandmother, dressed in a bright tie dye shirt and shorts, cloak and other cult members gone.

"Hello dear, how are you feeling?" her grandmother asked. Dahlia stared at her, and the bright feathery crown appeared over her head.

"Fabulousssss" she said, her voice resonating just like HIS. A day later, a terrorist attack is stopped in a bright flash of lights. Catching a missile, Dahlia crushed it with one hand and haughtily laughed as she carted down the terrorists for the authorities. As she floated down, a reporter ran up to Dahlia, who was wearing A cape made of bright, multicolored crystalline feathers and tight tie dyed style spandex, a psychedelic mishmash of colors. An illusory crown and goggles were on her head and Dahlia's long braids were flowing.

"Who are you masked stranger?" the woman asked.

"Honey, I'm The Fabulous Rainbow Rider! I'm the fantasy here to protect everybody!" she said, then took off into the sky with a stream of light flowing behind her.

The Fabulous Rainbow Rider
    Dahlia Marquez/The Serpent
    Powers: Flying brick, ancient wisdom of the world and the cosmic harmonic, bending of light to create/dispel illusions and see or alter the truth of a sight. Additional powers are related to her multicolored aura which previous avatars before Dahlia (Joseph) refined with help of The Serpent. In his various incarnations, he picked up a gift and the aura relates to it as such. Green is Quetzalcoatl and with that she can use super breath to blow things away or cause tornadoes, even speaking to these natural phenomena to dispel them. Gold is Lucifer and the ability of pyro kinesis, in which the cape of hers splits into fiery red wings as well, less bird like and more draconic. Mauve is Kajura the Rainbow Serpent and the ability to alter or reshape a landscape, something Dahlia struggles with grasping still but thankfully the voice in her head is a patient one.

Personality: inquisitive, upbeat and a voracious learner, Dahlia has accepted her situation but is open to help, and after an encounter with Champion and Mr. Glass, has found herself a part of the world's foremost super team.

Currently working to preserve natural resources in a corporate setting got Unified Alchemicals Bay Area branch out of San Fran in her civilian ID, it allows her flexibility as The Fabulous Rainbow Rider
    Last edited by Froggy; 06-18-2016 at 10:08 PM.

As I told you when you sent this to me, this is great, Froggy!

Now, if we're still going with this Traitor Game 'novel' with OCs, I'm going to have to come up with one of my own. Thing is, I'd like the new OC to be somewhat different from my previous OC, the cop turned SHIELD agent Terry Franklin. But of course people who are basically everyday people with access to special crimefighting tools are probably easier than coming up with someone with superpowers and all that. At least for me.