Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Deadpool #39 Axis is over huzzah! (review/spoilers)

Picks up right after Axis # 9, I didn't read that but had no problem following along so you shouldn't either!

spoilers:
    We pick up with Scarlet Witch, Doom, and White Skull undoing the magical whammy that inverted everyone. Zenpool and and Deadpool have a heart to heart as Zenpool fades. He leaves Wade the message that he needs to be as good to himself as he is to his friends. Evan, back in Teenager mode, is distraught after his actions and DP tries to help him as best he can. Evan sees himself as monster, wondering if he can ever be forgiven. (DP: It's not like you killed prof X or anything).

This is really the heart of the story and I feel it works really well.

DP takes it upon himself to find him a place to lay low, first trying Monster Metropolis, Shiklah's happy to see Wade back to his old self but less so to see En Sabah Nur...seems they have a past. I believe this is tied to that old Apocalypse vs. Dracula mini but I never read that so someone else would have better luck. Needless to say Shiklah will not be having him stay in her kingdom. DP promises to help Evan but first needs to check on the Faux-men.

Micheal and our bugged eyed magician friend from last issue have been doing some dark gardening, creating as Deadpool calls it "A cross between Tim Burton and the giving tree." after first giving a donation of his own the tree can help provide all the working organs the Faux-men need. Seems like this is turning into a happy ending, Shiklah's even going to grant them asylum. Yet DP seems dour.

DP hooks back with Evan and he takes him to his personal house. Saying he can stay there till the heat dies down. Evan is thankful and puts on a brave face but is clearly scared and he's not the only one. DP thinks of his new friends, his new family, how he's not only thought to give them happiness, he's been willing to die to give them that happiness. And yet he isn't happy, and he's not sure he ever has been, and he's sure he never will be.
    end of spoilers

Downer ending, but I love me some dark Deadpool. Great close to the arc, and it will be interesting to see if DP will follow Zen's advice, or just dig himself deeper.

Really great wrap up to the arc. No matter how many times they do it, I'm still amazed how Gerry and Brian can go from jokes to the type of tragic endings we've seen. I'm also happy it looks like Wade and Shiklah will be ok.

BANNED

That "It's not like you killed Prof X" line sounds amazing.

Also really loved the "I'm glad Wolverine isn't alive to see this" line.

BANNED

This should have been labeled as the Epilogue to Axis since it centers on the loose Apocalypse plot. Plus I do wonder how this is going to affect some of the X-titles coming off this event ?

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    That "It's not like you killed Prof X" line sounds amazing.
    I'll have to see that in context. I wonder if it's a shot at Cyclops, a shot at the JGS, a two-fer, or if it's supposed to be left up to the reader.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Context for 'that' line.

Evan wonders if the X-Men can possibly forgive him for his actions and wonders if he should go apologize to all of them. Deadpool doesn't think that's a good idea and I quote...

"I mean it's not like you killed Professor Xavier, but you did everything but."

So yeah, you're not Cyclops, but you're damn close.

Extraordinary Member

I for one thought the line about Wolverine was really rather sad. Deadpool really looked up to Wolverine, and Wolverine was sort of trying to keep Evan from becoming Apocalypse. I don't think Wolverine would have been immune from the inversion, but it feels like Wade thinks that maybe things would have gone differently if Wolverine had been there.

With that being said, while this issue was really, really sad, it was really something to see just the pure, unconditional love Wade has for the people in his life. The art was beautiful and conveyed all the emotion perfectly. Seeing Deadpool just trying to keep it all together and be calm and be strong for Evan even when you could tell he just wanted to break down just made the whole thing even worse. I'm happy Remender didn't cover this in access because it was just so well done here.

Fantastic Member True Believer Tony's Avatar

This was awesome. Love Evan/Wade so AXIS may have been worth it simply for these developments.

By the way, who's the Beast lookalike that chills with Deadpool's wife?
    Twitter: @TonyBWood

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by True Believer Tony View Post
    This was awesome. Love Evan/Wade so AXIS may have been worth it simply for these developments.

By the way, who's the Beast lookalike that chills with Deadpool's wife?
    Just some random monster who acts as a bouncer, I guess?

But yeah, seeing Wade and Evan together made this event so much better. Deadpool did actually save the world not through violence, but just through being a friend and mentor to someone who needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I for one thought the line about Wolverine was really rather sad. Deadpool really looked up to Wolverine, and Wolverine was sort of trying to keep Evan from becoming Apocalypse. I don't think Wolverine would have been immune from the inversion, but it feels like Wade thinks that maybe things would have gone differently if Wolverine had been there.
    Oh yea, I didn't mean that I loved it because it was funny. I thought it was a perfectly placed line.

I really liked this issue. Everything has gone so good for Deadpool lately. Tragic that it will all come crashing down.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Model 1911A1 Cal .45 View Post
    I really liked this issue. Everything has gone so good for Deadpool lately. Tragic that it will all come crashing down.
    Are we sure it will come crashing down? Isn't that what Wade may want? Think about it; he has to worry about his daughter, his wife, Preston, an entire underground city of monsters and freaks, and now Evan. That's a lot to deal with. Is he going to do something to intentionally destroy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Are we sure it will come crashing down? Isn't that what Wade may want? Think about it; he has to worry about his daughter, his wife, Preston, an entire underground city of monsters and freaks, and now Evan. That's a lot to deal with. Is he going to do something to intentionally destroy it?
    He's very capable of tearing it all down, and now that you've said that, it scares me that that is exactly how this run of Gerry and Brian can end.

I'm scared it will come crashing down as 'status quo is god' at Marvel. Now that's not to say it will happen, as Wade doesn't really have as much set rules as some characters and some writer can pick up where Duggan and Poeshen leave off, but it's definitely a worry.