Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Superman/Wonder Woman #14 SPOILERS

IMO, a step up from the last issue. More dynamics between the power couple and some villiany in the background.

Run down
    -Wonderstar has no memories, but quite alot of ego.
    -Circe (I believe) is up to something, and personal with Hippolyta.
    -Superman Wonderstar and Wonder Woman fights some monsters.
    -Wonderstar starts talking funny and after a bit of lightshow, behold. He's really MAGOG. (have no idea who that is.)

While not that much happens or stands out in the issue, none of it feels off like some things did in the first Tomasi issue. Perhaps he's getting the basics down as he goes. Feels like he's slowly trying to build something. Hope it really focuses Diana's background this time around, since the SM/WW issues before Tomasi largely was superman circus outside a god not and then.

The art flows better. While alot of faces tend sometimes look like they'r one mouscle from eye rolling when "neutral", there's thankfully a good set of other emotion that sells what's going on.

One thing I think stood out is Tomasi trying to try to write some men this and women that-dialouge. But overall, it's not so much better than his other dialogue offerings. While it's readable, it doesn't stand out much. A bit too much textbook "men are weak", "women are weak." Could'v used a bit more heart and grit.

But with that said. I think it's showing promise. A perfectly good issue. Tomasi's Batman isn't perfect either with a dip or two here and there, but also some quite high highs! While I'd like if SM and WW felt a bit less stiff about being super heroes (I really like the portrayals in Morrison's Action comics and Azz/Chiang's WW), it wouldn't surprise me if they'll loosen up with each issue.
    Last edited by borntohula; 12-24-2014 at 01:39 AM.

Fantastic Member butterfingers158's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post

-Wonderstar starts talking funny and after a bit of lightshow, behold. He's really MAGOG. (have no idea who that is.)
    You've never read Kingdome Come? He was created for that story, I highly recommend it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterfingers158 View Post
    You've never read Kingdome Come? He was created for that story, I highly recommend it.
    No, I haven't. But I'll see if I can track it down. Thanks for suggesting it. Could be interesting to compare it's with the SM/WW one. At least after a couple of issues.
    Last edited by borntohula; 12-24-2014 at 03:08 AM.

I haven't read it, so maybe it was explained, but what was the point of Wonderstar if he really is Magog? And is this first appearance of Magog in new52 continuity?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I haven't read it, so maybe it was explained, but what was the point of Wonderstar if he really is Magog? And is this first appearance of Magog in new52 continuity?
    Wonder-star actually looks much like an homage or re-imagining of Wonder Boy, ..right down to his falling out of the sky and waking up in a big crater, somewhere in a big, modern city.

Hardly Azuela, but the writing is much improved. I will be collecting this, again.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 12-24-2014 at 04:30 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I don't think Wonderstar "is" Magog exactly--it seems more like he's Magog's host, and he involuntarily turns into Magog at the end.

I think Circe is trying to strike at Diana through her relationship and hurt her ability to spread Hippolyta's message (whatever that turns out to be). So--though this is just a guess--I'm thinking that maybe Circe is going to try to manipulate Wonder Woman into killing Magog, and killing the innocent Wonderstar along with him, thus alienating Superman and the public?

On another front, there's good news and bad news for lasso fans. The good news is that she uses it. The bad news is that they make it seem about as reliable as a Magic 8 Ball; Superman says it sometimes picks up nuances about people; Wonder Woman has to trick Wonderstar so that he'll let not any defenses when she uses it; and all it tells Wonder Woman is that there's an absence of a sense of self about Wonderstar.

Overall, I agree with Borntohula that this issue is better--but it's still not good, in my opinion. Too much time on the klutzy supervillains (and goofy Wonderstar, too), and not enough interesting dialogue or character development of Wonder Woman and Superman. I guess what's going on with Circe and Magog keeps me interested enough to stay for a couple more issues, though.

A bit too much textbook "men are weak", "women are weak." Could'v used a bit more heart and grit.
    Yeah--it seemed to rehearse stereotypes ("never get between a woman and her shopping money"--said by someone name "Debutante"!) more than challenging them.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 12-24-2014 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Fix spelling of "Debutante."

You didn't like The Debutante?

I skimmed through it, but she talked about some "mini-sized madman," which could be Doctor Psycho?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    You didn't like The Debutante?

I skimmed through it, but she talked about some "mini-sized madman," which could be Doctor Psycho?
    Well...I did like that she doesn't like her own name. Didn't love the "shopping money" bit, though. With the big, brutish Mammoth on her team, they just seemed confirm Circ'es simplistic, stereotype-driven idea of gender. Then again, if Circe conceived of the villain teams, maybe that's why this one reflects her views. But yeah, I agree that the "mini-sized madman" Debutante mentions could turn out to be Dr. Psycho.

Always Rakzo

This was without a doubt a really good improvement over the previous issue. Every scene worked nicely.

Oh....no....he really is Magog? That really sucks...wasted potential.

I'm not loving it, but I'll read this arc and see where it goes. Wish Diana didn't seem like window dressing for most of the issue
    Last edited by Darius; 12-24-2014 at 12:06 PM.

The issue was very action-packed (which is enjoyable). I was told Tomasi was a very straightforward writer, apparently it's true. I think I miss Soule's decompressed style though.
    I'm really intrigued by new 52 Magog's origin story; I'm pretty sure Circe is the puppet master behind all of this but I wonder whether he is still a poorly understood hero/reluctant villain or just some random 'nice guy' who got bewitched by Circe.
    "If I wanted smooth,I'd be with Hal Jordan."

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Oh....no....he really is Magog? That really sucks...wasted potential.
    I only had an issue with the idea if he also ended up being some sort of progeny of Superman and Wonder Woman. Now that I know he's not, no big. I never liked Magog before, but I'll give this new incarnation a shot before I judge.

Though I do like the idea however that Wonderstar is his own person and that he's the host for Magog.

I was pleased with this issue, though much of that might stem simply from the fact that it was a significant improvement over the disappointing previous one.

With regard to the lasso, I think its efficacy in the issue was fine. The way I interpreted the issue, Magog was well-versed in the heroes' abilities, lasso included. Magog's consciousness wasn't actually in Wonderstar until the end of the issue, as Magog was monitoring the events remotely, waiting for the chance to strike, while also anticipating that the lasso was going to be used to get some answers. As such, there was no truth of Magog's scheme to be revealed, as Wonderstar didn't know, and Magog's consciousness wasn't present in the body yet. If I had to make a vague parallel, I would compare it to the Return of the Joker movie (um, spoilers for a movie more than a dozen years old...) in which the Joker was embedded in Tim Drake, but only in a microchip that had to be activated before the Tim's mind and body transformed into the Joker. I figured Magog or another conspirator would have to hit a metaphorical switch, like casting an incantation or something, that would transform Wonderstar into Magog.

Furthermore, I think you could even make the argument that the issue actually highlights the lasso's ability. I thought it was pretty interesting that it could reveal subtler truths besides compelling the entwined subject to say the truth when asked questions. I guess I understand why some fans would've wanted the lasso to seem more potent, but I think it's a reasonable interpretation in this story. I get the impression that a lot of writers are uncomfortable with the lasso because they don't want mystery solving to be so straightforward, but all in all the lasso's ability wasn't done an injustice IMO.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 12-24-2014 at 01:55 PM.

I'm not a fan of magog but it was a good issue no doubt. Man what is cercie is up to i do miss the purple hair but red does hit her and she is a goddes so she can change hair colour if she wants. I do wonder if magog is from earth 22 or is original to earth prime.