View Poll Results: Is Spider-man greater than Superman?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 42.11%
  • No

37 48.68%
  • Tie

7 9.21%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

I think Superman, Batman and Spider-Man are the Holy Trinity of Superheroes. Everyone knows them and I'd estimate that about 25% can name their alter egos correctly. It's really hard to say which one of the three is really the most well famous.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    7. Lex Luthor
    Kind of surprised to see Luthor before the Joker.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Superman is stronger if that's what you mean....but I love Spider-Man way more.

I will note that I really do like Superman. Hell, I prefer him to Batman (who is demoted all the way down to #3 in my list of the best costumed crimefighters.) Although Spider-Man is king.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Superman may have started it and was more influential "before", but Batman franchise was doing a lot better so Batman is more influential. So is Spider-man.
    Superman came first, so he gets credit for some of Batman's influence.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Without Superman, we wouldn't have superheroes.

Without Spider-man (and other early Stan creations) we wouldn't have superheroes that anybody cared about.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I will note that I really do like Superman. Hell, I prefer him to Batman (who is demoted all the way down to #3 in my list of the best costumed crimefighters.) Although Spider-Man is king.

Superman came first, so he gets credit for some of Batman's influence.
    I know but even if the Superman comics didn't do well when it started, there will always be somebody who will continue to make comics anyway.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Well thankfully I neither said that nor implied that.

I said public iconicness (which I'm not even sure is a real word). Basically which is the most well known and recognizable to the public at large and not specifically comic book fans. In other words if you went out and randomly sampled 10,000 Americans and asked them to name the first 10 comic book characters they could think of the list would probably be as follows:

1. Superman
    2. Batman
    3. Robin (because as soon as you think Batman your mind will automatically go to Robin).
    4. Wonder Woman
    5. Spiderman
    6. Lois Lane
    7. Lex Luthor
    8. Hulk
    9. Iron Man (before the movies I doubt he'd have made top 50)
    10. Captain America (before the movies he'd be down as well).

Its got nothing to do with popularity. Its who does the non comic book reading populace (which is the vast majority) know and recognize.
    Well that's a good clarification, but by your definition I think it's stretching credulity beyond rational bounds to not justify Spider-man at number 3.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I know but even if the Superman comics didn't do well when it started, there will always be somebody who will continue to make comics anyway.
    But they might not have tried in the adventurer with a secret identity genre.

If Superman had flopped, no one would have asked Kane and Finger to create new characters like Superman.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member SilverSpider's Avatar

Probably it comes down to what the op meant by greater.
    It's rather subjective.

Spidey is my pick, because he's more relatable, and flawed character that makes for better storytelling.

Returning to my earlier point:

1.influental: Supes, he came first without him there wouldn't be others.
    2.powerful: Supes is definetely the most powerful creature on fictional Earth.
    3.popular: Spidey is more popular at the moment.
    4.character: Spidey has a more complex character I think.

Tie breaker: Spidey has a better sense of humor.
    Creativity is awesome.

It's a cruel world, that doesn't care for you. Which is why remember to always smile.

Big picture; nope. Ask 100 random people to name a superhero, Supes is gonna be the name that comes up most (well, after Batsy anyway).

Having said that, just looking them both in terms of where they both are now, they do have a few things in common. They've both had movies that weren't well received by critics (and a fair few fans). They've both been unmarried by never having been married in the first place. They've both been rebooted, on screen and in their respective books. Their respective publishers still never seem to know quite what's the best way to market them. Peter's body was recently taken over by his mortal enemy; Clark's body is currently being taken over by his mortal enemy.

Superman is always going to be the 'greater' hero overall, however you might define such a phrase. But they're certainly on level terms as far as their respective 'lives' are going right now!

They're tied. Both are influential. Superman...well...he's Superman. Spider-Man was the first superhero that people could relate to because he was an everyday man. Both are popular. Both are highly recognizable.