View Poll Results: Is Spider-man greater than Superman?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 42.11%
  • No

37 48.68%
  • Tie

7 9.21%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Not only is Spider-Man greater than Superman now, but Spider-Man's been greater than Superman since 1962.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

This is a good question right here.
    I believe that as of now neither of the two are great.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts View Post
    You win the Internet today.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    You win the Internet today.
    Thank you, but in all seriousness with the lack of acclaim (from fans & critics) from their current films, games & maybe comics (depending on how you feel about Spidey since 07 or Superior same for the New 52) that is the reason why I said what I said.

BANNED

Thank you, but in all seriousness with the lack of acclaim (from fans & critics) from their current films, games & maybe comics (depending on how you feel about Spidey since 07 or Superior same for the New 52) that is the reason why I said what I said.
    that is the reason I said you win the Internet today, too

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    that is the reason I said you win the Internet today, too
    Right on. Once again, thank you.

The voice of reason.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Superman is a boring alien, that most people probably can not identify with. Spider-Man is the guy next door, with real world problems, that everyone can identify with.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Superman is very much more influential than Batman.
    Superman may have started it and was more influential "before", but Batman franchise was doing a lot better so Batman is more influential. So is Spider-man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Not only is Spider-Man greater than Superman now, but Spider-Man's been greater than Superman since 1962.
    Preach the truth!

Spiderman is and always will be greater than Superman!

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    The voice of reason.
    Man, I'm on a roll with this!
    Nonetheless, I believe that those two alongside with Wonder Woman and Batman are the key influences of superhero comics. Nuff said!

BANNED

If your talking iconicness then its not even close: Superman > Spiderman.

The only debate is if Batman has surpassed Superman. They are clearly the top two. Then probably Wonder Woman and Robin (Robin is obviously riding Batman's coattails but they are mighty coattails). Only then might Spiderman enter the debate for spot #5 with Lois Lane and Lex Luthor being his competition. Thats how high up Superman is that even his supporting cast is clearly top 10 in iconicness. Spidey is clearly Marvel's #1 but he's not even close to Superman.

As to which I prefer. Spidey no doubt. Superman in the comic book form bores me to tears. I think Man of Steel was better than the Amazing Spiderman but not even close to any of the original Spidey trilogy which trumps any and all of the Superman movies.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    If your talking iconicness then its not even close: Superman > Spiderman.

The only debate is if Batman has surpassed Superman. They are clearly the top two. Then probably Wonder Woman and Robin (Robin is obviously riding Batman's coattails but they are mighty coattails). Only then might Spiderman enter the debate for spot #5 with Lois Lane and Lex Luthor being his competition. Thats how high up Superman is that even his supporting cast is clearly top 10 in iconicness. Spidey is clearly Marvel's #1 but he's not even close to Superman.

As to which I prefer. Spidey no doubt. Superman in the comic book form bores me to tears. I think Man of Steel was better than the Amazing Spiderman but not even close to any of the original Spidey trilogy which trumps any and all of the Superman movies.
    If you think robin is anywhere near Spidey's level of popularity I really don't know what to tell you.

As for "who's greatest" I like spidey more, simply because I think an hero based on the assumption of being perfect and invincible at everything (and that's the core of superman most of his fans want to keep intact) to be boring as hell. Therefore as characters there's no doubt in my mind spider man is much superior to superman.

As fo the brands they are both incredibly well recognizable, superman's logo is probably better known, but as a whole Spidey is not that far behind. After all Spidey is Marvel's "face" and Marvel has been bigger than DC for a long time now. The fact Spidey's movies were mostly good compared to supes' also helps a lot imo. What's true is that superman has an edge in terms of TV series as there never was anything comparable for spidey.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpiodisc View Post
    Superman is a boring alien, that most people probably can not identify with. Spider-Man is the guy next door, with real world problems, that everyone can identify with.
    Being a farm kid from kansas, is hardly unrelatable.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    If you think robin is anywhere near Spidey's level of popularity I really don't know what to tell you.
    Well thankfully I neither said that nor implied that.

I said public iconicness (which I'm not even sure is a real word). Basically which is the most well known and recognizable to the public at large and not specifically comic book fans. In other words if you went out and randomly sampled 10,000 Americans and asked them to name the first 10 comic book characters they could think of the list would probably be as follows:

1. Superman
    2. Batman
    3. Robin (because as soon as you think Batman your mind will automatically go to Robin).
    4. Wonder Woman
    5. Spiderman
    6. Lois Lane
    7. Lex Luthor
    8. Hulk
    9. Iron Man (before the movies I doubt he'd have made top 50)
    10. Captain America (before the movies he'd be down as well).

Its got nothing to do with popularity. Its who does the non comic book reading populace (which is the vast majority) know and recognize. Superman and Wonder Woman have become part of the public conciousness in ways that Spidey can only dream of. You have popular songs written about Superman and he's even become an adjective and metaphor (there is a current pop song that references both Superman and Lois Lane - quick name any popular pop song referencing Spiderman). Wonder Woman likewise has become part of the language. You actually hear things like "he's a real superman" or "she's a real Wonder Woman." You'll never hear "He's a real Spiderman." Spidey has not achieved any of that. Batman is just someone that everyone knows because of his popularity and media exposure and Robin rides his coattails. Lex and Lois get there the same way Robin does though they are not as automatic as Robin.

Its a wholly different thing than popularity because when you get to popularity the majority of the public doesn't care that much and your back to the fans. Now you'll get Spidey, Batman, Wolverine, Storm, and a lot of characters who don't even chart on the iconic list.
    Last edited by JediMindTrick; 05-15-2014 at 08:10 PM.